Slow cooker mashed Potatoes

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Crpdeth, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Well, I have to mention that since I have problems digesting dairy products that I cant have much of this stuff, but I did prepare a huge pot of it for our get together tomorrow and tasted it...Man, it is heaven...

INGREDIENTS
    5 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 tablespoon minced garlic, or to taste
    3 cubes chicken bouillon
    1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl (the crock pot that you'll use works great for this and reduces cleanup), mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
    Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Crpdeth

I have since added cayenne pepper, black peppercorns (grinder) and minced onion to this stuff with pretty decent results!
  2. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

had it yesterday just like cambell soup m m good thanks for the recipe
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

YW Moose...Glad you liked it.

:)
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'll bet them crocks in that pit will leave everything sparkling clean! ;):D:D:D Cudnt hep misef! :rolleyes::D:D:D
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

LMAO...I guess it is some type of pit. :D
  6. Donny, that one sounds REALLY good. I think I will give it a try this weekend when my daughter and her new lab puppy come down to visit. :D
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

It really is good Rich...I also want to mention to Crash or anyone else who has a smoker...Lemme tell ya, those juices saved from turkey or chickens cooked on the smoker make a wonderful substitute for the bouillon in this recipe.

Crpdeth
  8. Well Donny, your recipe is now in the crockpot doing its thang. I'll let you know how the taters come out after they're served this evening. The proof of the taters is in the eating! :D
  9. Well Donny, we tried your smashed tater recipe and it definitely earned at least a 9.5 on a scale of 10! In fact, my daughter like them so much she took the remainder home with her! That recipe is a definite "keeper." :D
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Good...I'm proud to hear that your bunch liked it as much as I do. Another thing thats nice is that it is really pretty cheap and it goes a long way at family gatherings.

Crpdeth
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I added a few ingredients to the original recipe.

This stuff is still good one year later! :D

Ya'll have a sumptuous Thanksgiving...

Crpdeth
  12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Crpdeth, I'm not sure what you mean about having a tough time digesting this stuff, but if it's a Lactose Intolerance problem, try some Lactaid Pills or Granules before eating dairy products.
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks, Tim.... We think it is an ulcer. I finally saw a Dr. about it yesterday, he is a client of mine so he kindly gave me 4 weeks of Aciphex samples knowing that I was self-pay.

I've been dealing with this thing a looong time (I don't go to the Dr. ever).

Crpdeth the hard headed.
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

CRPDETH...I used to be a Pharmacist in the 70's and hadn't gone to a doctor in 20+ years. Finally started and she treats some ills, but I always do my own research as well. I also can be very hardheaded but you need to listen to your body and your Dr. My wife and 28 year old son are both lactose intolerant, as much of the world is, and they have both benefited from drinking lactaid milk. I'm not saying that there may not be something else involved.

I'm a firm believer in trying the simple things first. Big Pharma (and at one time I worked for Big Pharma) have convinced the docs and the people in general that the fix is always in a prescription.

Take a month and take a generic lactaid before every meal and see what that does for you. Ask your Pharmacist to point out the generic version, which may be purchased without a prescription.

Good luck.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks, Tim...

Honestly, I used to think it was lactose intolerance and took all those over the counter meds, until I spoke with several people who were and found that I didn't actually have their symptoms (running to the bathroom, etc), mine has always been an intense pain that is located real high in my abdomen, that is worse than anything I have ever been through... I was once down with two broken elbows and both wrists and also once set my left hand and arm on fire with flaming catfish grease so I know pain...Okay, maybe the fire was a bit worse. :D

And maybe it isn't an ulcer, I don't have the money to spend on extensive tests, so we are trying the meds first, staying away from alcohol, etc, for three or four weeks. Hopefully we'll get it figured out inexpensively, but I fear that I will always have to minimize my dairy intake.

But hey there are some damn good substitutes out there now and I find that I don't NEED dairy so much...Soy mozzarella is really good on pizza, and the soy cheddar is good on other things... Non-dairy creamer in coffee, Silk (soy milk) isn't all that bad in cereal and in cooking and if I really get to craving a glass of milk, I can go half soy half whole milk.

Crpdeth
  16. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

Sounds awesome I'll have to try this next time I go to the store. Still have some of the Habenero pepper sauce too, that stuff is freakin' great. Thanks for the recipe.