Slower vs. faster

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by paperboy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. paperboy

paperboy Member

I was wondering if you are going to reload for a 45 acp. What would you consider to be more accurate. A slower bullet moving around 750 fps or a faster bullet moving around 1100 fps. I use a 230 gr. hp/xtp for target shooting. Distance 25-50 yards.
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

A good general read for loading of any type is the book by Waters, Pet Loads.

In all my .45 acp's, the most accurate round is a load that is about 75% of the maximum listed or recommended load. Every pistol is a little different, though, leading to boxes with same cals but different 'end labels', e.g. S&W 1911; 4506; etc.

If I am loading cast bullets, I hold my fps to 950 or below to alleviate the much dreaded 'lead residue' in the barrel.

This is just my experience, yours and others may vary. ;)
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

+1 on Ken Waters' Pet Loads, great book, only problem is a lot of the data is old, but it is still a great reference book.

Art
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Good advice! Even with store bought ammo, every gun will shoot it differently. Work up a load that your particular gun likes, and then fine tune it. Try different powders, different brands of brass, and primers, as well as different bullets. Be advised that all bullets do not weigh the same. Even from the same box.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
  5. paperboy

paperboy Member

Thanks for the advise.Will look for the book.
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

One thing about pistol rounds is that a slower heavier bullet shot from a pistol will comonly hit higher -sometimes considerably higher- than a faster lighter bullet.

The longer the bullet is in the barrel & the harder the recoil the more the barrel will rise before the bullet clears the muzzle. You may want to test different weights/loads to see where they hit on the target. My two Ruger 9mm's hit where I aim them with 124 grain bullets but I can't adjust my sights enough to get 115 grainers to hit at my point of aim. The lighter bullets always hit way low. My 45 does also shows this effect.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

artabr,
    You are "dead on" re: that some of the data (propellants, etc.) is outdated. However, the historys explained, the processes used in evaluating the data, and the "watch out for's" are timeless!
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

Roger that.
    It is amazing the amount of info. that Waters covers in this book, 1040 pages of smallprint in an 8 1/2" x 11" book.

Art
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Good point Pop. That's another thing to keep in mind when choosing a bullet weight...especially if you're shooting a fixed-sight gun.

In my fixed sight full-size Springfield 1911, it shoots to point of aim with most of the jacketed 230gr loads I've tried, 200gr is way low and I haven't even bothered trying 185s in that pistol. In my old Commander length 1911 (also fixed-sight) cast 230gr @ 800fps went too high and cast 200gr @ 850fps were just about spot on.