Slug Barrel Advice

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by AAofLot19, Oct 13, 2011.

1. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

I have a field barrel but i'm wanting to buy a slug barrel for my Rem 1100. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Head on down to Bass Pro Shop, they keep them in stock.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

does your field barrel have screw in chokes?
  4. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

No it doesn't. Its a full choke barrel.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

AAofLot19 How far do you think you are going to shooting? If the place where you hunt gives you shots well under 100yds, a smoth bore barrel will work just fine. If you want the added distance for longer shoots then the rifled barrel is the way to go.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    there maybe a few choices here,a slug barrel that is rifled will take sabot only(quite expensive)to purchase ammo.you may also buy a cantilever barrel that has a scope mount.the third choice and i think the best if you are limiting your range to around 50 yards would be a barrel that has frount and rear adjustable sights. old semperfi
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ahh that sucks.. Great for goose and turkey hunting. But you need a screw in choke barrel and a full set of chokes, including a rifled choke tube. Makes for one truly versatile shotgun.

Maybe try and trade your barrel off for one with screw in chokes. That way you wont need 2 or more barrels for the same shotgun.
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I like the rifled barrels myself, very accurate.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

I bought a 28" barrel with Rem-Chokes, and cut the full choke barrel down to 18 1/2". Now I have two guns, one for home defense, and one for hunting!

Attached Files:

10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

A rifled slug barrel will increase the distance your able to shoot! The the Savage bolt action shotgun with the rifled barrel will kill a deer at 170 yards or better. Just saying. Yes, the sabots sure do cost more, but how many are ya going to shoot in on season! You will be pleased with the rifled barrel. Nuff said!:)
  11. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Thank you all for your advice, it is much appreciated.

So, with a barrel with the screw in chokes I could fire sabots or rifled slugs and still have my bird and small game abilities?
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, you will need 4 basic choke tubes. I/C for rifled slugs and shooting dove/sporting clays, Mod. for general purpose shotgunning (sporting clays and upland/migratory game birds), full for turkey/goose, and a rifled tube for sabots. Sabot slugs do shoot best in a fully rifled bore, but since they are all .44 cal or larger projectiles they do not require alot of spin to stabilize and that short rifled choke tube imparts plenty enough to stabilize the projectile and sling the sabot. My rem 700 shot 2" groups at 100 yds with a red dot with a rifled tube and HDY SST 12 ga sabots. and since most deer are taken well within 100 yds, especially with a shotgun, there isnt a need really for a special purpose barrel. Its just a crazy/un-necessary expense IMO.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  13. carver

carver Moderator

I agree Josh, I just shoot smoth bore, and I can hit a gallon milk jug with every shot out to 75yds. That's all I need where I hunt.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep, and a 12 ga rifled 1 oz slug is roughly a 475 grain lead bullet at 1500+ fps, or roughly equivalent to a .500 S&W magnum in power with a 70 cal. projectile instead of a 50 cal.

One of those mosters anywhere in the breadbasket of a deer is gonna rip the life clean out of him..

In my experience, rifled slugs from a I/C tube are impressively accurate.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

I might look into getting one of the I/C tubes for my shotgun. All I have are the three that came with the new barrel. If it would tighten up my groups just a little, I would feel a little better about it. I do like accuracy, but haven't been having much luck with my guns lately, any of them.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  16. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

You have to be careful what sabots you shot out of a rifled tube.I have an extended tube and it just does not have enough rifling to get any decent groups with most sabots.After spending alot of money trying differant ones I found that lightfields shot best out of mine.I can shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  17. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll make sure to give a range report once I get the new barrel.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Double check the set myles. I/C is usually a std. offering in a 3 tube choke set. Most all I have seen come with the Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full

Add ons would be Skeet 1 and 2, improved modified, extra full,, rifled and turkey. The Turkey is slightly tighter than X full and extends the range of turkey loads out to the 50 yd range.