Slugs

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dhom, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dhom

dhom New Member

How can you make a smooth bore shotgun accurate or what is the best it should be able to shoot?:rolleyes:
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I have a hard time keeping them slugs in the chamber. LOL

Seriously though...........I use rifled slugs in my smooth bore Rem 870.

Attached Files:

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I use Brennekee (sp?) in my smooth bore and I love them.

Know what slugs eat.... other slugs.
  4. dhom

dhom New Member

howlnmad,,,,what kind of groups should I expect with the Brennekee slugs?
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Back when I was shooting slugs, I could hit a gallon jug, every shot, at 75 yards. Some guns will do this at 100 yards.
  6. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Depends. My Winchester 1200 shoots well with the Imp. cyl. choke, but shines with the short rifled one. My new Weatherby Threat Response shoots very well with the standard choke it comes with (I.C.), three sabots into a 2.5" group at 75 yards with the standard sights, I'll try a rifled one and bet it will go tighter.
    But my older Mossberg is terrible with it's Modified standard choke, shooting 4" groups at 25 yds. with most standard slugs and even sabot's.
    The choke is the key.
  7. howlnmad

It's been a long time since I've had to hunt with a slug gun. I never used typical targets. Always used the cardboard deer with the organ locations. At 75 yds you have no problems taking out the heart as long as you do your part.
    Sorry if that doesn't help.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I use Brenneke for hunting and Foster if I can't get Brenneke. Fosters are softer and more accurate in my gun but I prefer the heavier slug. A choke such as IM or IC will swage down the slug as it passes through centering it better than if it were coming out of a cylinder bore. There is nothing you have to do to your gun to make it shoot more accurate if the gun is in good condition besides putting on sights you can aim with, ie. ghost rings, rifle sights or a scope.
    [​IMG]

Here are 5 shots from my scoped Mossberg with an IM choke at 60 yards as fast as I could work the pump and get the cross hairs back on target. At 100 yards from a rest instead of 2" I get 4" but that's good enough to put deer on the table.
  9. howlnmad

Old Grump,
    That's a nice group there. Which slugs were you using?
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

My friend has a slug gun that will shoot 2" at 100. He goes to New York hunting all the time and has spent years working on that slug gun to make it shoot. Slug guns can be deadly accurate. For me, hitting a gallon jug at 75 yards would be phenominal; because I have never owned a slug gun that would hit the broad side of a barn. Of course that has a lot to do with the fact that I have never spent any time trying to figure out what they would actually shoot.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. howlnmad

I've never thought about using a choke on a slug. I do have an old Mossberg with an adjustable choke. May hafta play around a bit. The only problem will be the sights. There's no adjustable and no means to mount a scope. Hmmmm.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    That was either Remington Hi Vel which is a Foster or Hornady slugger. They both shoot close to the same point of aim out of my 20 gauge guns so I didn't pay any attention to which one I grabbed.

I shot 3 rounds 2 days ago at 25 yards with the Hornady and it was a triangle shaped single hole 3" above my point of aim which puts it about 1" above my point of aim at 60 yards and dead on at 75 yards. I get the same results using either of my 2 Mossbergs or my Winchester
  13. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Must have sights- http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-Sights-C1.aspx Then you want forster type rifled slugs. At 50 yards, about 4" to 6" groups.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011