The Firearms Forum banner

Small Caliber Rifle Hunting/Shooting in S.E. MI

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fyimo 
#1 ·
Im kind of a newbie to Firearms, especially rifles so please bear with me. Anyone familiar with Michigan rifle laws, from what I understand you cant shoot, or is it just hunt? South of the Saginaw line with a rifle... is that true? Because I would like to do some small game hunting on my property (ground hogs & racoons, occasionally a rabit or bird).. its on the border of a city but is 70 acres but there ARE homes in the area along with farmland. I would feel safe shooting a shotgun or air riflein the area. But since rifle round travel much faster, I would like to know if shooting .22 or even a .17 is dangerous in a rural/suburban area... more specifically in Richmond, MI if anoyne if farmilliar with the area. Approximately how far will my round Actually travel. Does anyone have similar circumstances that they shoot these type of weapons. Also any reccomendations as to the type of gun.. i was looking at some guns at Dunhams and they have some nice .17 HMR's by Savage (dont know model #) Anyways, any help or insight would be very helpful.

Thanks, Andrew.

#2 ·
I know that you can only hunt big game with a rifle above Saginaw, Michigan as South of there I used to hunt Deer with 12 ga. Mossberg pump shotgun. How it pertains to varmits and small game I'm not sure. I do know that as a kid we went to Grandpa's cottage near Brighton, Michigan and we shoot 22LR's on state land to our hearts content.

That said, even a 22LR travels a very long way and 70 acres isn't much land if there are houses around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.