Small of the back Holster

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Deacon_Man, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I am very new to TFF and CCW. I am treasurer at my Church and handle a lot of money. I have decided to carry at my Church in the future. I know very little about holsters. I feel I would like a belt loop nylon holster worn in the small of my back. Sounds like it would be easy to conceal under my suit jacket and easy to get at. I really would like to hear the opinion of the group. I am really enjoying TFF and all the members.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

There are different types of small of back holster, they hold the gun differently:

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      11.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

When I wear a suit I prefer a inside the waist band holster or a shoulder holster.
  4. sorral

sorral New Member

I have been taught (by licensed instructors) that shoulder holsters and small of the back holsters are not the best solutions. The idea of "flashing" myself. With those kinds of holsters, one MUST point the gun at some point of the body during the draw.
  5. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I have been taught (by licensed instructors) that shoulder holsters and small of the back holsters are not the best solutions. The idea of "flashing" myself. With those kinds of holsters, one MUST point the gun at some point of the body during the draw.
    OK sorral stand up make your finger pistol and try a few draws and you will see this is not the case. Many law enforcement agencies use these types of holsters and they work. Also it's "Flagging yourself" not "Flashing yourself." The non-gun hand moves the coat aside and is out of the way of the pistol. Try it.
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Small of the back holsters are a bad idea for carrying your weapon. With the gun at the small of your back you are giving up control of your weapon. If some one noticed the gun and had a mind to releive you of it you are in a very poor position to keep the person from taking it from you. Just my 4 cents worth.
  7. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Small of the back holsters are a bad idea for carrying your weapon. With the gun at the small of your back you are giving up control of your weapon. If some one noticed the gun and had a mind to releive you of it you are in a very poor position to keep the person from taking it from you. Just my 4 cents worth.

That is why it's kept concealed. I agree it's not my favorite but it works in certain work. I don't let people get that close to me and I sure don't keep my back to someone.
  8. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

its another tool in the toolbox. I personally am not a fan. I have not really found it to be comfortable as well as you bring up the weapon retention issue as noted above. Carrying SOB is probably the worst situation for weapon retention.

can it be done? Yes. I personally would recommend trying IWB carry first. That is what i have had the most success with personally.
  9. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I’m always armed, at work, off duty, always. I work in uniform and when I worked in D.C. I was in a business suit. I have never had an accidental discharge nor have I ever had my weapon taken from me, nor even accidentally dropped a firearm. A big part of that is training. My least favorite way to carry a firearm is in a separate bag like a fanny pack or day planner. The next has to be in the small of the back but if it is necessary it does work. Shoulder holsters have their drawbacks as well, for example they have to be cross drawn. This can be a hazard if the target is close and can step in to block the draw. The hip holster can be ripped down or cupped that a firearm cannot be removed.
    After 9/11, I and many other Agents were called to duty and detailed as Air Marshalls until the department could be reformed and new Air Marshalls hired. I’m 6’6” and about 300 pound s so I was not suited well for the duty because I didn’t fit well in the seats but the job had to be done so there I was. I had my Beretta on my hip and I was sitting in my assigned seat. A very attractive older woman in a business suit sat down right next to me and put her big butt right down on my pistol pressing it to the seat. It was a tense moment because I could tell she knew what it was and I didn’t want to explain to my boss why I caused a huge panic on a post 9/11 airplane. She smiled and whispered, “Air Marshall?” At Which I whispered, “Yes”. She slid over and well as I and the flight continued without further problems. From then on I carried in the small of my back because people couldn’t see a gun print in my clothing as I walked past them nor as I was seated.
    There is no perfect way to carry but you can tailor to the job at hand.
  10. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

I have always found the GALCO middle of the back (MOB) holster with thumb break retention to provide fast access and yet safe and secure deep concealment for year round wear. That is the first picture in pinecone70's post. The GALCO MOB design is for me much better than their screw adjustable, tension secured, canted across the back SOB design (pinecone70's second picture). In my mind the MOB design really shines in the summer months under a T-shirt and while wearing shorts. I do really like the design, but I'll have to admit that I am not crazy about wearing the MOB design when seated in a stiff backed chair or when driving. I have extensively used the GALCO MOB 1911 version for a Colt Officer's Model in .45 ACP, as well as for a 9X18 E. German Makarov which also fits.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  11. ARB

ARB New Member

SOB's are okay if you are not sitting down much. I don't use mine anymore because it is way too uncomfortable to have a pistol holstered while driving. They're not to great empty as well. And, it is really conspicuous when holstering your weapon after exiting the vehicle. In say, the grocery store parking lot.
  12. sorral

sorral New Member

This whole discussion has gotten me interested. With all the views, and personal experiences, I am thinking that I need to go back to my drawing board to try to find a way to carry year 'round. Small of the back is uncomfortable, hip is not easy to conceal, shoulder holster may be impractical for a short distance fight.....

I guess some real thought will be needed.....OUCH..my head hurts.
  13. ARB

ARB New Member

I know technically, it's kind of like a shoulder holster, but I've been looking at those t-shirts that have the built in holster. Fits snug up against you. Haven't made up my mind if I want to spend $70 on a holster that's gonna get worn out through the wash, though.
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Still working on the concealed carry thing, I'm procrastinating. The slack time gives me more time to decide on location though. GA law states that the weapon must be carried "in a holster" though.
    Current thought train is: I'm a fat boy, let's face it. "The Roll" might give a concealment advantage if I wanted to have a handgun pointed at "the jewels." I don't. Nor do I plan to continue forever being fat.
    SOB is a nice alternative, if uncomfortable in a car. Let's face it, it's a nice place to tuck away a couple pounds of iron and/or plastic.
    Shoulder? Not for me, I don't wear a jacket much in the South. Not a white collar type and that is pretty much all you'll see around here with a jacket in July.
    I'm a blue collar type, tend to go with shirt untucked in all seasons. Jacket or coat in coldest months.

So I'm down to IWB holsters in either hip or SOB.
    Willing to listen to other suggestions.

I got one more idea, a wrist holster. Cold season only really. Long sleeves needed. Supersmall holdout type firearm, on the weak side wrist. Reach for the Rolex, bring out a Derringerish pistol.
    I don't wear a wristwatch, only pocketwatches. For a lot of reasons.

No ankle carry. Can't reach 'em.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member