Small Pistol primers for .45 ACP Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LesterPTelestrat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

I just received a shipment of 1000 rounds of once fired brass. The first 200 rounds I've cleaned turned up about 25 rounds of small primer brass. If this keeps up I'm going to end up with a couple hundred cases or so of small primer brass. I've never seen any load data for small primers for .45 ACP. Anyone know if I can follow standard recipes with this stuff or should I toss them?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A lot of people will tell you to toss them. I came across a bunch of them and reloaded using the standard recipe and they worked fine. It was a little bit of a pain in the butt to keep having to separate them out to have to prime them differently. After a while of messing with them, I got tired of it and ended up tossing them anyway!
  3. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Lester,

Where did you get your brass.? I bought a bunch...9K and about 15 % is sm pistol primer. That is over 1K in brass. The guy said he would exchange them, but a pain in the !@#%.

J
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Does the head stamp say WIN NT 45 AUTO? If so you will have to take the primer crimp out just like the military cases. I have been told that they come from the factory with a mag. primer. So i have reloaded them the same way mag. primer and 5.0 gr. of unique behind a 230 gr. LRN bullet. They worked fine. But i will agree with gdmoody Just pitch them unless you want to take all that time to prep them and then keep them sepret from the rest. I just took about 10 Lbs. of them to the scrap yard to day. Got $1.70 a Lb. No one wanted them and i tryied to give them away.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I have a whole coffe can of those things. Win NT, Speer and a few other headstamps. I dont know why on earth I am saving them as I have 4-5k of the good stuff. Anyone need a bunch of those NT cases, free? Come and get them. They are really annoying when they get mixed in what I am loading. Usually a primer gets crushed.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I just toss'em in the scrap brass, but then again, I'm not sitting on hundreds of them either. If I did, I'd probably toss'em anyways though, I'm just not one to spend much time on things that hassle me. If buying mixed brass, I do look to see if they specify sorting and if not, I will ask before buying. It seems to be more of a problem here in the last few months as I have heard other guys with problems also.

G-N - $1.70/# is pretty decent for scrap, got enough for a beer or two! ;)
  7. LesterPTelestrat

Yep, there all head stamped WIN NT 45 Auto. I got them from an on-line dealer called One Time Brass. I know it's a crap shoot ordering once fired brass but these were $90 per thousand so compared to other sites I found they were pretty reasonable. I'll see what the total small primer number is when I'm done cleaning em up and see if it's worth asking for replacements.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Yap it got me a 5th of jack to sip on:D
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Wow 90 per 1k is steep when you don't know the condition of the brass your getting! Search around here a bit next time there is better deals out there for sure
  10. LesterPTelestrat

312shooter, I'd love to know of some other places to order from. Any suggestions?
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

12. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  13. LesterPTelestrat

Thanks for the links and suggestions folks, much appreciated.