Smallbore defensive shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Pfletch83, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Pfletch83

Pfletch83 New Member

What would you folks say about a Mossberg 50104 with a 50455 barrel on it as a family defense arm?
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

With the buckshot loads you can get these days for 410 it would be a better choice than 20 gauge.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Pfletch83,
    Welcome to the forum!
    The use of .410 bore shotguns for self- or home defense is a hot topic, currently, with the introduction of several handguns capable of handling ammo in that "caliber." The firearm forum that doesn't have a a bunch detailed discussions on this topic is RARE.
    The comparison with 20 ga. shells is also a common topic.
    MY PERSONAL preference is a 20 ga loaded with #2 buck. I own a "few" 12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga and .410 bore shotguns (including a Mossberg 500E HOME SECURITY pump) - but the one that sits ready for use is a 20 ga.
    If I owned ONLY a .410, I would choose one of the modern buckshot rounds loaded with 3 or 5 00 buck pellets.
    Here's some info on 20 ga shot shells for defensive use:
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

And here's some info on .410 bore defensive shot shells:
    http://www.internetarmory.com/shotgun_ammo.htm

Both of these articles are comprehensive and easy to understand. Read them until you understand what's being written.
    DON'T consider "bird shot" - it is not effective, pellets are too small, don't have the mass and momentum to do much deep damage.

IMG_2393.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Ammunition to go has a buckshot load that has four .400 lead balls and a shorter there'd pellet version. It is not made for pistols and hits real hard with the three pellet version I have.

Federal makes a nine pellet three inch 4 buck load that patterns really tight too. I wouldn't hesitate a second to use my410 for home defense at all.