1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smallbore defensive shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Pfletch83, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Pfletch83

Pfletch83 New Member

What would you folks say about a Mossberg 50104 with a 50455 barrel on it as a family defense arm?
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

With the buckshot loads you can get these days for 410 it would be a better choice than 20 gauge.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Pfletch83,
    Welcome to the forum!
    The use of .410 bore shotguns for self- or home defense is a hot topic, currently, with the introduction of several handguns capable of handling ammo in that "caliber." The firearm forum that doesn't have a a bunch detailed discussions on this topic is RARE.
    The comparison with 20 ga. shells is also a common topic.
    MY PERSONAL preference is a 20 ga loaded with #2 buck. I own a "few" 12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga and .410 bore shotguns (including a Mossberg 500E HOME SECURITY pump) - but the one that sits ready for use is a 20 ga.
    If I owned ONLY a .410, I would choose one of the modern buckshot rounds loaded with 3 or 5 00 buck pellets.
    Here's some info on 20 ga shot shells for defensive use:
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

And here's some info on .410 bore defensive shot shells:
    http://www.internetarmory.com/shotgun_ammo.htm

Both of these articles are comprehensive and easy to understand. Read them until you understand what's being written.
    DON'T consider "bird shot" - it is not effective, pellets are too small, don't have the mass and momentum to do much deep damage.

IMG_2393.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Ammunition to go has a buckshot load that has four .400 lead balls and a shorter there'd pellet version. It is not made for pistols and hits real hard with the three pellet version I have.

Federal makes a nine pellet three inch 4 buck load that patterns really tight too. I wouldn't hesitate a second to use my410 for home defense at all.