1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smatchet-Fairbairn's Techniques

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by kilogulf59, Aug 14, 2008.

1. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

An excerpt from Major W. E. Fairbairn’s treatise: GET TOUGH! How To Win In Hand-To-Hand Fighting As Taught To The British Commandos And The U.S. Armed Forces
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE SMATCHET

NO. 29 - THE SMATCHET

The psychological reaction of any man, when he first takes the Smatchet in his hand, is full justification for its recommendation as a fighting weapon. He will immediately register all the essential qualities of a good soldier-confidence, determination, and aggressiveness.

Its balance, weight, and killing power, with the point, edge, or pommel, combined with the extremely simple training necessary to become efficient in its use, make it the ideal personal weapon for all those not armed with a rifle and bayonet.

Note. - The smatchet is now in wide use throughout the British armed forces. It is hoped that it will soon be adopted by the United States Army.

[​IMG]

Carrying, Drawing, and Holding

1. The smatchet should be carried in the scabbard on the left side of the belt, as in Fig. 113. This permits one to run, climb, sit, or lie down.​

Note.-Any equipment at present carried in this position should be removed to another place.

2. Pass the right hand through the thong and draw upwards with a bent arm (Fig.114).

3. Grip the handle as near the guard as possible, cutting edge downwards (Fig.115).​

Close-In Blows

1. Drive well into the stomach (Fig. 116).

2. "Sabre Cut" to right-low of neck (Fig. 117).

3. Cut to left-low of neck (Fig. 118).

4. Smash up with pommel, under chin (Fig. 119).

5. Smash down with pommel into the face (Fig. 120).​

[​IMG]

Attacking Blows

1. "Sabre Cut" to left or right wrist (Fig. 121).

2. "Sabre Cut" to left or right arm (Fig. 122).​

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you that read my article on the Combat Usage of the Nepalese Khukuri all those techniques are applicable to Smatchet usage. Additionally, since the Smatchet is a two-sided weapon, true back cuts can be added to the repertoire.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

That certainly looks like a handy, easy-to-use knife! I'm going to go price those right now...
  3. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

You will get a good workout too as they are really akin to a short-sword.

They weren't really a substitute for a knife. The idea was England was very short on firearms and these would be issued to anyone whose primary function was crew served weapons or technical or logistic type troops, i.e. RTO's, drivers, artillerymen, etcetera.

I certainly wouldn't want to have a full infantryman's load and a Smatchet on my side.
  4. patriot1973

patriot1973 New Member

I have been looking at these alot. Atlanta cutlery/ museum replicas makes a nice looking reproduction which has some good reviews. Check out the Welsh Trench Sword also: http://www.ima-usa.com/welsh-wwi-trench-sword-scabbard.html
    It was another WW1 trench warfare weapon, and it looks pretty nasty.
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same thing I was thinking. And one heck of a deadly weapon too!
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

With a folding circular cross guard. Have to admit, never seen one of those before.