Smith 1917s

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by sig_230, Nov 1, 2003.

1. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

I really love the older 1917s (Colt or Smith), the Brazilian Contract guns and the New Service revolvers. There's just something about a big old 45 that just can't be duplicated by any of the new guns.

Here's one of the Smith 1917s.
    [​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Sig_230......welcome to TFF.

Beautiful gun. Those Brazilian and British Contract (and early U.S.) Smith M1917s were made to civilian standards of fit and finish.....much nicer than the Colt 1917s.

The U.S. Government kept pressing Smith for higher production (less hand finishing and more utilitarian quality)....and eventually took over the factory during WWI to increase production.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I love those 1917s. The first hadngun I ever fired was a Colts 1917. Carried one for years until a cop stole it. I'l have another one, one day. Just have to get the 800 or so together to do it.

Pops
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

1937 Brazilian .45 acp with reproduction period holster.

Restoration by Country Gunsmith...about 3 years ago?

GG :)

Attached Files:

5. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

Colt New Service made in 1917 and shipped to London. Was in .455 Elely and likely bought by Limey officer on his way to France. Wound up in Utah 80 years later converted to .45 Colt and finished in nickel where my wife bought it for me as a birthday present.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2003
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Dr. Pig, I have owned in the past four Newservices...but that was about 20 years ago...don't have a one now.

Yours looks extremely spiffy and neat, great ole gun.

I have quite a few Newservice parts if you ever need anything, but can't find a decent frame or I would make myself a really great .44 special.

For over two decades have been setting on a never used .44 special barrel and cylinder. Has the deep Colt royal bluing.

Great history on your Newservice.

Jim

Attached Files:

7. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

I think that the 1917, ColT or Smith (but I gotta admit I like the Smiths more) are about as close to perfect as I've ever found. There's just something about the 45acp out of a long barreled revolver that says this is the way it was supposed to work. :D

I have this dream about getting together a whole group of shooters, all shooting the 1917s in 45acp. What a line that would be. I bet the last time something like that happened Melvin Purvis was watching.
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Did you happen to notice the big paw thumb print right on the seal of Brazil...my dirty smudg mark ruined a good pix.

Gunguy :eek: