Smith and Wesson 442

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by clicker1, Nov 23, 2008.

1. clicker1

clicker1 New Member

Hi there, I was just picked up one these Smith and Wesson 442 centennial and really have never had much experience with this type of gun. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience or owns one, and what you think of it. It seems to fit pretty good in my hand and is still small enough for some concealment. I am not sure what to do about a holster for it yet. I appreciate any comments.

Attached Files:

• 442.jpg
      442.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, that's a 642. 442 is a blued steel/black aluminum gun. That's stainless steel and white aluminum. :) The 642 is better for a pocket carry. Sweat doesn't hurt the stainless.

I like mine so much, I bought one for my daughter. I use a pocket holster, but if you want a waist holster, I suggest a Fobus. This is kydex, and it grabs the gun at the trigger guard. I have a couple of leather holsters made for Smith J frame guns, but without a hammer, it is kind of difficult to keep it in the holster. Safety strap ain't got nothing to hold on to.
  3. clicker1

clicker1 New Member

That is great news, I am glad that you like the gun. How do you like the double action only? Oh I had to show you this, strange isn't it :)

Attached Files:

4. CTM

CTM New Member

awesome little guns
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That is strange. Must be a Friday gun. :) Someone wasn't paying attention.

I like it. If you practice, you can stack it. That's where you pull the trigger almost all the way through. You can feel it get to a point and hang there, just a little. Right then you have, for all intents and purposes, cocked the gun. A small amount of pressure and the hammer falls, just like a cocked single action. It's kind of neat, showing people how accurately you can target shoot with a DA-only belly gun. I wouldn't try it while pointing it at someone, though. Occasionally one just slips by.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yeah S&W codes S/S guns with numbers starting in 6. That S/S with a 442 might be rare some day.

The simple holster answer for that piece would by Uncle Mike for cheap but comfortable IWB, Don Hume IWB for a few dollars more. For pocket carry DESantis hard to beat.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. clicker1

clicker1 New Member

Thanks a lot guys, this is good stuff too know. I will have to practice with the little guy. I am going to get one of those pocket carry DESantis, that's the 3rd time someone has mentioned them to me.
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have one that looks a lot like yours but mine has a an underluged barrel and it is a model 342 AirLite T. It has a built in/hidden lanyard ring that I have attached a leather strap and I carry it naked in my left front pocket though I am right handed. I can get to it fairly quickly by pulling it out of my pocket with my left hand and catching it in my right. The bad thing is that I have scratched the gun badly with keys and the other junk that I stuff my pocket with often forgetting the gun is there because it it so light.
  9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Great gun - I love mine. Some have complained about the trigger pull but I have found it to smooth out after some use. Just practice, practice, practice so you can drop 5 in target without hesitation.