Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 38

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 60defense, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 60defense

60defense New Member

My wife currently carries a Glock 26 and wants to trade for the new bodyguard. While I'm not totally sold on it I'm pretty much left with no choice but to consider it. My question is does anyone have any experience with the new ergonomics of this gun; polymer frame, laser, cylinder latch ect..? I dont question the quality as I have owned several smiths over the years and they have been outstanding weapons. My biggest concearn is the cylinder latch being in a different location. She is a good shot and fimiliar with my model 60 already. Should I try to pursuade her to go with the Ruger LCR or a 642 with a laser over this model? Any thoughts and experience is greatly apperciated.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I would push her in the direction of the 642 or the LCR. You may not question Smiths quality on there other revolvers but the bodyguard is not typical smith (especially old Smith). I've said this before. A revolver with a laser for around 400 new? The quality has to be lacking somewhere, unfortunately its in the gun. 642 and the LCR are very reliable and well built.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    While I like the idea behind the new Body Guard, it is a new gun, and we don't know yet how well it will hold up down the road. The 629 is a proven gun, and I have to say also, that a Smith with a laser for $400 makes me stop and think about how they can make this gun so cheap! A Ruger, Charter Arms, or a Taurus would get my vote before spending money on a gun this cheap! The Crimson Trace grips alone will cost you $170 for a J frame pistol.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011