The Firearms Forum banner

Smith and Wesson Mod 25-2

24K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  oscarmayer 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a question on a S&W mod 25-2 I could use some help with. My 25-2 is a 6 1/2" barrel model with target sights,hammer,trigger and grips. It is blue and probably 95% or better. It has a slight mark around the cylinder caused by the locking bolt as the cylinder turns. Other than that the gun is unmarked. I bought the gun from a friend in 1989, so I've had it a long time. My real question is, on the barrel it has 45 cal model 1950. When I look at gun value books they all have information on model 1955 but I have been unable to find any thing on model 1950 for the 25-2. The serial number is N3387XX. Any information you could supply me would be appreciatedd. Thanks!!

#2 ·
First of all, the ring around the cylinder happens on all S&W revolvers regardless of make. Second, I need you to answer a question.

1) Does the barrel have a pin through it near the frame? This is commonly referred to as a "pinned barrel" and is indicative of the earlier model S&W's.

You might also want to describe the grips here and take them off to see if they are serialized to the gun itself (same serial number).

I will look in my S&W catalog of guns tonight and get you an answer.

Also, do you have the wooden presentation case and cleaning kit and screw driver?

IPT

#5 ·
Yes the barrel is pinned. Sorry I had left that out. The grips are what I would think of as standard S&W type grips. Large wooden grips, very nicely figured with S&W medallions, a panel in the middle of the grips that are checkered. I do not see any serial number inside the grips. I do not have the original box. I have it in a nice box but it definately is not an original. I do have the original cleaning kit that has the rod, the brush, a swab and a screw driver, still sealed in plastic. Thanks!!

#6 ·
Okay, do the grips have a diamond in the middle, these are called the Magma grips?

Here goes, you seem to have quite a rarity here. It all started with what S&W called the Hand Ejector Models. These were target guns and are very sought after today. After this and still keeping the Hand Ejector moniker, came the 45 Cal. Model of 1950. After this came the 45 Cal model of 1955. With both of these, the main caliber was .45 ACP with very little made in .45 Colt. They are known as "pre-model" Smiths before the model number designations.

The .45 Cal Model of 1950 was the prerunner to the Model 26 a light barreled target gun. The .45 Cal Model of 1955 was the pre-model 25. These gun serial numbers started with the prefix "S", not "N" as yours is.

Your N prefixed serial number puts manufacture in 1976. As yours is a known model 25-2. Now, here comes the good part. There is a quantity of "Known" model 25's, approximately 100 pistols, that were known to be mismarked on the barrel roll marks stating ".45 Cal Model of 1950". If this is true, then you have a mighty valuable pistol there.

Now, what to do next. The first thing you should do is relagate that pistol to the safe and leave it there. Next, I would get a letter from S&W by writing Roy Jinx, the S&W historian. Give him all the information on the gun, WITH PICTURES and from every angle and make sure you can read all the markings clearly. From the serial number, he will tell you exactly HOW it left the factory. This will cost you about $30 and will be the best money you have ever spent. Once he knows about this gun, go over to the S&W forum where Jim Supica hangs out. Jim is the author of the "Catalog of Smith and Wesson, Second Edition" which I have and where I got this information. He has a forum in there devoted to information for his next edition and where you can get his attention with pictures of the pistol and detailed information that I am giving you here. I am sure he would be very interested in hearing from you and you just may get your pistol into his 3rd edition. Unfortunately he has closed the 3rd edition, but still go speak with him. You can "google" his name and you will pick him up at "Old Town Station", his business.

Also, get yourself a copy of Jim's book from Amazon.com and see for yourself. You can follow all the history of the hand ejector series of pistols.

Now, the next thing I would do is leave the cleaning kit sealed and do not open it for ANY reason. Go on Fleabay and buy yourself a S&W wooden presentation box that will accomodate a 6 1/2 inch barreled N frame. Then you will have have all the correct pieces except the original paperwork and shipping box.

I cannot guess what it is worth today, but that kind of rarity will oftern bring in high 4 figure prices, Jim would know this better than I. N frames today are highly sought after and collectable. I own 5 myself.

If you take my suggestions you should be a proud owner, if it letters out, of a highly collectible S&W N frame.

I'm jealous! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Please post pictures of it here!

Here is the S&W forum:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/?s...EFERRER_URL=http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm a little stunned at this point. I will follow through with all your suggestions and will post some pictures as soon as I can. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. If this all works out, how would you go about trying to sell a pistol like this? Not sure that I would but......
It also is a real shooter. I have one perticular cast bullet load that at 25 yards hand held over sand bags will just chew the center of a target out every time.

#13 ·
the 25-2 was designed to shoot the 45acp and the 45 auto rimmed case ? the 25 -5 which came out later could chamber the 45 colt. i admit i could be wrong since i'm going from a old and fading memory but someone will come along and either set me straight or confirm my recollection

#15 ·
Oscar, the only way his gun can shoot both 45 ACP and 45 Colt is to have two cylinders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.