Smith and Wesson mod 28-2 Highway Patrolman

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nfelevator, Dec 15, 2007.

1. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

I recently inherited a Smith and Wesson Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman revolver. After dropping open the cylinder, there are the numbers N538300
    and right below that is Mod 28-2. Looking further straight down and actually on the swivel part of the frame that holds the cylinder are the numbers:
    95972 and below that is E6. I just need a ballpark worth, and I can't seem to be able to find this model listed anywhere in nickel or stainless. Everything seems to be blued. Here are a couple pics.

Attached Files:

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The 28 came in Dull or brushed nickel.
    The brushed nickel is very rare your appears to be the dull nickel.

Blue Book on yours is $395 however in my area it would bring about $100 more.
  3. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

Thanks alot for the info. I looked it up in the latest bluebook of gun values online, and I didnt see mod 28-2. Just model 28. Is there a difference?
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The -2 is just the changes

1 1960 Change to LH thread 2
    2 1961 Cylinder stop changed, hole in front of trigger
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

That's a nice M28-2 you have there. The nickel finish is aftermarket. Some M27s came nickel but the Model 28 was matte blue.

It was not uncommon for owners to have their Mod. 28 refinished. I think it makes for a nice looking gun. The porting is aftermarket, too.

Your gun was made in 1978. I'd agree with 22WRF that $450 - $500 would be a typical price for that gun in a retail shop. The nickel finish is a nice touch.

Those extra numbers are assembly numbers.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That's a mighty fine lookin' portable heater, nfelevator. :)

I surely covet your good fortune !!!!!!
  7. szuppo

szuppo Former Guest

I don't know where you guys get values but did you actually look at the gun? Its a Model 28 that someone magnaported and nickeled or stripped or whatever the hell you call that! It's a total loss.

Post that over in the S&W Forum and see what they tell you its worth! Good lord people, lets stop giving erroneous info and get real.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's a little harsh. I agree, its collector value has been lost. It is a shooter. I also agree that 450 to 500 is what you would find it marked in a gun store. That has nothing to do with value, that is what the dealer is going to try to get for it. But just because it has been refinished and magnaported does not make it a "total loss". There are a heck of a lot more shooters out there than there are collectors. I think it is worth between 250 and 350. I'd pay three for it without thinking twice. That wide price range is because some folks will want the magnaport, and some won't. If it was mine, I'd spend about 200 bucks and get the barrel cut to 5 inches (the best length for an N frame), which would serve the dual task of making the gun handier and getting rid of those stupid holes. And I'd send the hammer and trigger off to that feller they was talkin' about on the Smith board that would strip the nickel and re-CCH them. But that's just me.
  9. szuppo

szuppo Former Guest

Alpo- My point is that asking what a revolver is worth in this Forum I see a common theme from the short time I've been browsing... The them is that Blue Book Values are quoted and they in no way reflect the value of a gun. It is to be used as a tool. Take for example the Pre Model 23's & 27's the values given are so far off it's comical.
    But they are quoted as to what a guns value is in this Forum.

This should not be called "Ask the Pro's" it should be called "Ask the guys with a Bluebook who have no knowledge of current trends or values"
  10. nixdad

nixdad New Member

With all due respect to the writer who felt this gun was destroyed or maimed by "stripping" it, I beg to differ. I have one of these guns. It is Stainless. Not nickel plated or formerly blue and stripped down. Stainless. They available in stainless, this guy has one and it appears to be in magnificent condition. I verified the authenticity of it through two different retailers.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I wonder if nixdad could post a pic of that stainless Model 28. I have never seen one and probably others haven't either. Even matte nickel is very rare (reportedly there were only five).

As to values, the Blue Book is a guide, and that is all it is. But to say, in effect, that its values are totally useless is as simplistic as saying it is the bible of gun prices. For one thing, many dealers set their prices based on the BB, so to some extent the retail prices reflect the BB, as well as vice versa.

If one were able to go to every gun show and every retail gun shop and browse every auction site, I am sure one would get a better picture of the real value of guns, but that isn't very practical. And it is no secret that gun prices/values vary with the area, venue, and yes, even the time of year; where possible, we try to take that into consideration, but usually can only give the values we see in our own areas.

As to that gun being "a total loss", that is absurd. Its collector interest is nil, but it is still a perfectly usable firearm, and has value as such. If I needed a gun for defense, I would not reject that Model 28 just because some purist collector thinks it is a "total loss."

Jim
  12. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Oh for God's sake.

The gun is a Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Yes, S&W did produce a very few in a brushed nickel finish but they are so rare that without some kind of provenance (like the box with end label) it is best to believe it aftermarket until proven otherwise. The Model 28-2 was never produced in stainless steel.

This gun appears to be a well-done electroless nickel finish or maybe even hard chrome. Might have (and probably was) done by Mag-na-Port when they ported the gun. Also, the grips have been changed to the larger target style whereas the Highway Patrolman came with smaller grips.

The Model 28 does not have significant collector appeal unless NIB. It is a discontinued S&W, yes, and those prices have come up quite a bit and do better than Fjestad's prices in many regions. That said, there is still quite a bit of value there as a shooter and at $350-$400 it would sell in a heartbeat at any Texas gun show.

So, unless anybody's up for a game of urinal hockey, put your peepee's away. This ain't no measurin' contest.
  13. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Plus what JimK said.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Let's calm down a little guys everyone is entitled to their opinion
  15. dthomas1969

dthomas1969 New Member

Very nice firearm. You can start this on *********.com or guns******a.com at $500 ... I have seen them go for as high as $1000.

Timing is everything - somebody willing to pay what you are asking - or more. Good luck but I would not list it for less than $500 starting bid.

If you are selling it good luck but they are a fine firearm. I have one in the matte blue that is rated at 98 % and it is fun to shoot at the range. I get many, many compliments on mine.

Respectfully,

dthomas
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's one on auction arms right now. Not refinished and no magna-porting. Starting bid 495. No bids. Auction is about over.

I saw that same gun on there about a month ago. I know it was that one because of the pattern on the Hogue grips that are on it. Had a starting bid of 495 back then, too. Didn't sell. Why? 'Cause 500 dollars is too much money for a model 28. 3 to 350 is about right for an untouched one. Nickeling might not hurt the price. Magna-porting? That would take at least 50 bucks off the price I would offer. It's like a bobbed hammer or a Fitz triggerguard. If you want to do it to your gun, that's wonderful. But it will lower the resale value.
  17. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

As a shooter I would pay $350....

I mean what can you buy in a 357 worth a crap for less than that in good condition? At $300 it is at the bottom price of a name brand, clean, good condition .357 is worth, regardless of collector status. I don't think the mods hurt it much at all.

Regards, Kirk
  18. billylee

billylee New Member

Picked up a model 28-2 w/six inch barrel at local gun show (SE WI) this passed weekend for $375. Approx 85% blue (holster wear) and real tight mechanically. Well balanced, ran 12 rnds thru it yesterday, great shooter. Thinking about electorless nickel (satin finish) to pretty her up a little. :)
  19. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Welcome to TFF, billylee.

+1 to having your new gun refinished. The Model 28 is an excellent revolver, but a 85% gun isn't a high-demand collector item. Go ahead and get it refinished.
  20. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    A SW 28 HP is not a highly collectable gun to begin with. It only came to be made for the simple reason that most LEOs had to bu their own guns and MOST could not afford a model 27 on LEO pay. The S&W 28 is the poor mans 27. It has been magaported thus it has lost ANY original collector value, what little tehre was. It is nickled but nmost likely done AFTER the magna porting was done THUS non-factory original THUS that hurts ANY collector value as well. Blue Book is a tool to be used in conjunctionwith auction sites and personal opinions as to what has been seen at guns shops and gun shows HOWEVER gun show prices are prices taht are usually marked up 100% or more of actual value. So now do you need a better opinion from the S&W forums because if you do I can log in there and give you one. I do collect S&Ws and to not brag do know soomething about them. Even though ALL collector value is GONE it still is a S&W hand gun, it is a 357, and it has shooter value in todays market. In my shop I would price that gun in the $495 range and most likely sell it for between $450 and $475 out the door. It will sell for that just due to being a S&W 357 asnd it is a nice looking gun. If buying to resell I would put maybe $375 in it and as to a value for insurance I would say $600 and use the added stainless and magnaporting as a custom add on value.

I hope this helps and you have a very nice firearm that was passed down to you. Enjoy it, cherish where it came from, and do not worry what everyone thinks of it as long as you like it.