Smith and Wesson model 41

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by golflender, Jun 8, 2008.

1. golflender

golflender New Member

I've been looking for a good .22 for target and hunting,,I started out looking at the Brownings, then the Rugers,, now I have my heart set on the Smith and wesson 41,,am I on the right track guys,, my gun dealer says they are hard to get, but I have stumbled on a used one going to go look at it next week, what do I look for to make sure it is in good working order.

appreciate any comments or info about this gun.. thanks in advance
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I owned a S&W 41 for a long time and loved it.

Reliable, accurate and for me at least, a comfortable hold/ balance. I recommend them.
  3. gunnut1980

gunnut1980 New Member

I claim washington state, and pennsylvainia
    My dad loves his.Ive seen him make a ragged hole at around 35-40 feet.
  4. gr7070

gr7070 New Member

They're supposed to be a great gun, but they had better be for their price.

I think the higher end Ruger MKiii is a better value considering it's half the price.

If you buy the Smith I don't think you'll be disappointed in the gun's function, the price maybe, but not the function.
  5. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I agree, the SW Md. 41 is an outstanding .22. But the price is scary. I've got several .22 semi hand guns; among them is the Ruger Mark III target model. It's a great gun at a reasonable price. I'd love to have a Model 41; I've got a friend who has one and it's top of the line, no question. But my gun budget won't stand that kind of hit. I highly recommend the Ruger Mark III.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. golflender

golflender New Member

I know its a bit pricey,,but I got a fever and a model 41 seems to be the only cure right now.. :)
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I have a bunch of targe 22LR pistols including the S&W Model 22S, Ruger Government Model, Buckmark Contour, Sig Trailside, Browning Challenger, Colt Match Target, Mavel 22 conversion on a 1911, CZ Kadet and others. None shoot as well as the S&W Model 41 if I do my part. It is well worth the money and its performance is only exceeded by the European Olympic style guns in the $1500 & up class. The Model 41 is the gun all those below $1000 are measured against.

According to an article in Shotgun News, the Model 41's are made on a dedicated small assembly line by a handfull of gunsmiths. Quality, precision fit, and accuracy are their by-word. The gun is made off the regular S&W assembly line, which mimics the way all guns were made 50 years ago.

LDBennett
  8. 22dave

22dave New Member

If you are looking for semi-auto, I feel that Ruger mark II (not III) is the best. As for Smith, I just got a 617 revolver, 10 round .22LR that is unbelievable. Spend the extra $ and you will never regret it.
  9. bobkk

bobkk Member

I have a m 41, Ruger mk1 bull barrel a mk2 slab sided with a scope. With a rest the mk2 beats the smith. Off hand the smith is better. The scope makes the mk2 more accurate. Can see the cross hairs better than open s[​IMG]
    ights.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. vietnam1947

vietnam1947 New Member

I just bought my S & W mdl 41 at SportsMans Warehouse, for 936.00 with 5% of for Military. Every ehere I looked they were 1232.00, The price is high but the weapos comes out of the box shooting great, I love mine and can shoot using CCI Standard 3/4 " group with 10 shots. You All Have A Gread Wweek End, Fred
  11. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I love the smith, a good friend of mine had one and it was a great gun. I own a Browning buckmark and for the price it is very hard to beat. With that said I know a lot of people say the same thing about the Ruger MKII. You really have to get out on the range and see what works for you.
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

The Model 41 S&W is my favorite .22 pistol.
  13. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

I fit in pretty well with ownership of 22s as LDBENNET and I agree with his assesment 100%.

If you want the ultimate in accuracy and workmanship in an american made auto pistol (22) then the 41 is it. I have the *" barrel with the weights that can be added for match shooting and the compensator. I also had my gunsmith build and install a mount for my red dot sight for bullseye matches.

As LD said, IMHO you can only exceed these guns by going to the Hammerlis etc and paying upwards of $2K plus.

Now the Ruger MK11 for the money and all of the great and futuristic add-ons are the most fun of them all. It is amazing what Volquartzen and others have made available for these guns to accurize them and to make them the "go to" gun in the safe and mine are far more accurate than I.

If you don't have a 41 and have the opportunity to buy one at a decent price, do it and never look back.

UF
  14. golflender

golflender New Member

$750 for the 5 1/2 barrel, never been fired in box,,,does that sound like a decent enough price?

( I really wanted the 7" barrel but can't seem to find one)
  15. flabrad

flabrad New Member

750.00 NIB? grab it. 7" Bbls are common both new and used from S&W or Gil Hebard to name 2. Figure another 200.00 for a new one =total 950.00, Less than MSRP for 41 with single barrel alone. Used Bbls for less.
  16. golflender

golflender New Member

well that deal didn't work out but low and behold I went to the range today with a friend of mine, guess what he had in his bag, yes a model 41 w a 7" barrell, put over a 100 rds through it, it is a sweet gun, now for the best part he is willing to sell it to me,,this is about a 30yr old gun , has a few blemishes , nothing major,,he wants me to make him an offer-now he is a friend I don't want to give him any less than the value of the gun----anybody got any idea what I should pay for this gun?
  17. leadbum

leadbum New Member

How do you like your red dot sight? What make and model is it?

Thanks
  18. credx2

credx2 New Member

For what it is worth the Blue Book is: %100 $835, 98%$660, 95%450 + 15 - 40% for older model with cocking indicator, ++ for factory compensator and weights. With that said, looking at Guns America and other sites, there is not much in any condition less that $700 and a lot of used for $900.

Blue book seems to always be a little lower than the market dictates and Guns America can be high, probably to in anticipation of low-ball offers.

I finally ordered a NIB for $900 + shipping and transfer fee

Hope this helps.
  19. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Smith and Wesson Model 41 range report

Recently I decided to try to minimise my 22LR ammo requirement for handguns and test all of them with CCI STD VEL ammo. If it will cycle the gun then the STD VEL ammo has to be easier on them, it is priced right (between cheapy and the low end of special target ammo), and it has proven pretty accurate in all of my target 22LR guns so far.

Yesterday I took my Beretta 87T (a $750+ gun!) with a red dot and the Model 41 S&W. Amazingly the open sighted Model 41 shot groups nearly the equal of the red dotted 87T which did much better than OK. I shot at 50 feet off a handgun rest that supported both the front of the frame and the bottom of the grip and has micro adjustments. Its easy to get good groups with this setup if the gun is willing. I shoot 20 shot groups and am comparing them between all of my target guns. The one to beat so far is the Marvel Conversion Unit Number One with a red dot on a Rock Island 1911 frame with after market trigger parts, where is it but a single hole that is less than dime sized. The 87T and Model 41 have maybe a 50% bigger major holes with an occasion flyer just outside the main hole.

CCI has turned out to be an excellent compromise ammo and well priced. But the guns that will cycle it seem to like Wolf Match Taget better for accuarcy at a higher cost point. So far I have done the 87T, the Model 41, my Hi STD Victor, my Browning Contour and the Marvel Conversion. I've got a lot more to go!

I think the S&W Model 41 an excellent gun. When I pulled it out of the safe and opened the case it struck me as to what a pretty gun it really is (the 7 inch barrel mades it so). And it shoots fantastic! Am I glad that nearly 15 years ago I had the foresight to buy this beauty before the list price creeped above the $1000 mark! If you don't have one get one!!!!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  20. Tom

Tom Member

The Model 41 is a terrific gun, if you have the money. I got one over 20 yrs. ago. It was the 7”. I finally decided I didn’t like the 7”, but couldn’t find a 5” sport barrel, so I had the 7” cut to 5”. It now weighs 34.7 oz. with perfect balance and terrific sights.

The only problem is, .22 handguns are like potato chips: you can’t stop with just one. You will probably be driven to expand your collection in .22 handguns with additional autos, like the Ruger MK III series, and revolvers, like the S&W 17, 617 and 63.

Attached Files: