1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smith and Wesson Model 629 Classic

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 76Highboy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am contemplating selling this DA Smith. The serial number is CEC5xxx, and it is a model 629-5. It has at least 10,000 rounds (mild, very few were full house loads) through it. I put new grips on it last year and a local gunsmith went through the action. The action is butter smooth and is way better then factory. The action is this way because I like to hunt with this gun. The cylinder lockup is no less then factory and I take exceptional care of all my firearms. The gunsmith gave it a good bill of health. It has been in the family since it was new so I am apprehensive to sell it. This gun is a sweet heart to shoot. I also have a Bianchi leather holster to go with it.

If I were to sell it, I would only want maximum. I don't need the cash but I would not want to take anything less then what the market would bring. This is one of those guns that has been hard to let go. The thing is, I want a Ruger Super Blackhawk, SS, non-fluted barrel, with the 4/58" barrel and every time I see one I get weak kneed. If I get the Ruger I will have a full action job done so I want maximum for this gun IF I sell it.

I know what you guys are thinking. "A Ruger for a Smith?" Maybe you guys can also talk some sense into me.

OK, so what's she worth?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will put a number out there for ya at least; I'd say $650 with holster and action work.
  3. 76Highboy

I would say at least, but for that I just couldn't do it. I had it down to $630.00 because I was not getting any bites but then I pulled it of add because that was way too low. IMO, more like around $725.00, but maybe that is high.

Thanks Woolley.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I would say this is close.
    The gun is not 100% it's in very good cond. but not 100% and $725 is the 100% number.
    The holster shows ware so it does not add much to the price.
    Trigger job adds a little but again not much.
    Now to open the door on the S&W vs Ruger :D
    I myself would never give up one of my Smiths for a Ruger.I feel S&W is a better built gun.My 29 classic has taken allot of deer and has never failed me.
    I see Rugers in for repair while I seldom see a S&W and when I do it is usually due to owner screw up.
    So if you want $725 for your gun then expect to wait a while to sell it(if you do).
    Mike
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont know its exact value but I do know its worth more than the ruger you want.
  6. V509

V509 Member

If you are selling at $650 I am buying!
    I would much prefer a prelock but...
  7. 76Highboy

I wasn't saying I anted to sell it for $725.00. I was saying that whatever it is worth that is what I want. So, what is the value? Also, I just watched a 629 that started at $749.00 sell for $729.00 this summer and it did not have a holster. My brother in law saw one sell in a pawn shop for $700.00. I think it comes down to who wants it. Also, I don't mind waiting because it is not like I need the money.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. 76Highboy

Yes I know. New, by about $200.00 depending on the store. Sportsman's; Ruger $569.00, Smith $779.00, if my memory serves me well.

Thanks Dan.
  9. 76Highboy

IMO the Smith is not necessarily a better built gun, it's more refined. The Ruger is the stronger of the two, but the Smith is the luxury model. The Smith has a shorter throw on the hammer which makes it ideal for accuracy and they have such a crisp trigger break verses the Ruger, which feels like an old cog. However, a good gunsmith can make a Ruger action as smooth as butter. I know, I have a few.:D
  10. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

beautiful peice of ART. Keep it
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have several S&W's and several Rugers. I'll take a Ruger any day. I believe Smith's are over priced. You're paying for a name that ain't what it used to be. IMHO!
  12. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

That S&W is one nice lookin' piece.....but for me I prefer a single-action for hunting. The Smith is truely more 'refined' then the Super Blackhawk.....and as Highboy stated...I also think the Ruger is the stronger of the two. And I also agree with Geezer, the S&W's are over priced, but hey, we haven't even talked about the Colt's....their prices are 'crazy' IMO. But then, a good thing for me, is I own a couple of both brands, and it's nice to see what the market is willing to pay.
  13. SARG

SARG Member

I have regretted selling the few guns I let go. Now I hold all of them and will not be selling until the proverbial "end is near"...... just to save the wife some trouble..... assuming I'm able.
  14. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

The S&W 629 and the Ruger Super Blackhawk are to me quite different handguns for different hunting applications. If I need a firearm to handle near maximum loads in a seriously rugged hunting environment where time is on my side, the Ruger Super Blackhawk with the worked over action gets the nod. If I am in a situation where I might need a rapid DA second (or perish the thought third) shot in close in visibity brush country or where the quite light and crisp trigger is an advantage, the S&W 629 gets the nod. I know that you probably do not wish to hear it, but if I were you I would figure out how to own both revolvers.