Smith and Wesson Model 629 Classic

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 76Highboy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am contemplating selling this DA Smith. The serial number is CEC5xxx, and it is a model 629-5. It has at least 10,000 rounds (mild, very few were full house loads) through it. I put new grips on it last year and a local gunsmith went through the action. The action is butter smooth and is way better then factory. The action is this way because I like to hunt with this gun. The cylinder lockup is no less then factory and I take exceptional care of all my firearms. The gunsmith gave it a good bill of health. It has been in the family since it was new so I am apprehensive to sell it. This gun is a sweet heart to shoot. I also have a Bianchi leather holster to go with it.

If I were to sell it, I would only want maximum. I don't need the cash but I would not want to take anything less then what the market would bring. This is one of those guns that has been hard to let go. The thing is, I want a Ruger Super Blackhawk, SS, non-fluted barrel, with the 4/58" barrel and every time I see one I get weak kneed. If I get the Ruger I will have a full action job done so I want maximum for this gun IF I sell it.

I know what you guys are thinking. "A Ruger for a Smith?" Maybe you guys can also talk some sense into me.

OK, so what's she worth?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will put a number out there for ya at least; I'd say $650 with holster and action work.
  3. 76Highboy

I would say at least, but for that I just couldn't do it. I had it down to $630.00 because I was not getting any bites but then I pulled it of add because that was way too low. IMO, more like around $725.00, but maybe that is high.

Thanks Woolley.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I would say this is close.
    The gun is not 100% it's in very good cond. but not 100% and $725 is the 100% number.
    The holster shows ware so it does not add much to the price.
    Trigger job adds a little but again not much.
    Now to open the door on the S&W vs Ruger :D
    I myself would never give up one of my Smiths for a Ruger.I feel S&W is a better built gun.My 29 classic has taken allot of deer and has never failed me.
    I see Rugers in for repair while I seldom see a S&W and when I do it is usually due to owner screw up.
    So if you want $725 for your gun then expect to wait a while to sell it(if you do).
    Mike
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont know its exact value but I do know its worth more than the ruger you want.
  6. V509

V509 Member

If you are selling at $650 I am buying!
    I would much prefer a prelock but...
  7. 76Highboy

I wasn't saying I anted to sell it for $725.00. I was saying that whatever it is worth that is what I want. So, what is the value? Also, I just watched a 629 that started at $749.00 sell for $729.00 this summer and it did not have a holster. My brother in law saw one sell in a pawn shop for $700.00. I think it comes down to who wants it. Also, I don't mind waiting because it is not like I need the money.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. 76Highboy

Yes I know. New, by about $200.00 depending on the store. Sportsman's; Ruger $569.00, Smith $779.00, if my memory serves me well.

Thanks Dan.
  9. 76Highboy

IMO the Smith is not necessarily a better built gun, it's more refined. The Ruger is the stronger of the two, but the Smith is the luxury model. The Smith has a shorter throw on the hammer which makes it ideal for accuracy and they have such a crisp trigger break verses the Ruger, which feels like an old cog. However, a good gunsmith can make a Ruger action as smooth as butter. I know, I have a few.:D
  10. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

beautiful peice of ART. Keep it
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have several S&W's and several Rugers. I'll take a Ruger any day. I believe Smith's are over priced. You're paying for a name that ain't what it used to be. IMHO!
  12. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

That S&W is one nice lookin' piece.....but for me I prefer a single-action for hunting. The Smith is truely more 'refined' then the Super Blackhawk.....and as Highboy stated...I also think the Ruger is the stronger of the two. And I also agree with Geezer, the S&W's are over priced, but hey, we haven't even talked about the Colt's....their prices are 'crazy' IMO. But then, a good thing for me, is I own a couple of both brands, and it's nice to see what the market is willing to pay.
  13. SARG

SARG Member

I have regretted selling the few guns I let go. Now I hold all of them and will not be selling until the proverbial "end is near"...... just to save the wife some trouble..... assuming I'm able.
  14. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

The S&W 629 and the Ruger Super Blackhawk are to me quite different handguns for different hunting applications. If I need a firearm to handle near maximum loads in a seriously rugged hunting environment where time is on my side, the Ruger Super Blackhawk with the worked over action gets the nod. If I am in a situation where I might need a rapid DA second (or perish the thought third) shot in close in visibity brush country or where the quite light and crisp trigger is an advantage, the S&W 629 gets the nod. I know that you probably do not wish to hear it, but if I were you I would figure out how to own both revolvers.