1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

smith and wesson model 66

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vapored, May 28, 2009.

1. vapored

vapored New Member

I am looking for some advice on a smith and wesson model 66 that was manufactured in 1974. model #4K56448. This would be my first revolver. I'm not looking to "collect" the gun, but shoot it regularly and keep it for home defense. It looks to be in really good condition, but does not have the box and papers to go with it. The owner has come into this one and quite a few more due to inheritence and doesn't know the used gun values of any of them. I don't either. He has ordered a book for some help. Questions: About how much is a fair price for the gun? Should I get this one or pass on it for a more recent gun? What, if any, modifications have been done to the gun; it being manufactured in 1974? He also has a smith and wesson 40. cal. model #4006 that looks good. I am interested in buy this one too. Do you guys know what this gun is worth approximately and if it would be a good choice.
    I am just interested in target shooting and home defense. Sorry for the long post.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the 66 is a good gun, i have had one. id say 300-350 if it is in good shape,

buddy of mine has a 4006, and it seems to be a good gun, he gave 300 for it used, police trade in, the only problem with it was the grips, which cost around 15 to replace off ebay.

~john
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just a opinion mind you but the smith and wesson automatic is sub-par as is most smith and wesson automatics ( don't flame me it's an opinion) but as sad as it makes me to say this their revolvers are first rate. the model 66 is a fine handgun but remeber it's a k frame and they do not hold up well to a steady diet of full power 357 rounds. hence the introduction of the k frame. now as for price forget the book value on these too. i would suspect it's worth around 400 to 450 if in 90% condition
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree, Smith and Wesson automatics are junk. But Smith revolvers are the best around. A model 66, if taken care of, will outlast you and your children. As oscarmayer said, they were designed to be carried a lot, and shot a little, with 357s. If you want to shoot bunches of 357s, you need to get an L (oscar said k, but that was a typo, I'm sure) or an N frame. I've had a 19 (that's the same gun, in blue steel instead of stainless) for about 10 years. I've put, probably, 4000 rounds through it, of which, maybe, 400 have been 357. When I go play, I shoot a couple of boxes of 38s, and finish with a couple of cylinders of 357, so I remember what the recoil feels like. It stays loaded with 357, in case I have some unwelcome night visitors.

Prices are going up all the time. If it had the box and the tools, then I'd agree with 400. But just the gun? 350 sounds about right to me.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:confused: looking down at the key board yep the L is right next to the K it was a typo .
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Nothing wrong with S&W 4006 and 1006. The 4006 would make a decent carry (works for me, anyway), and will provide years of good service. Just another opinion.
  7. SARG

SARG Member

The model 66 was my first duty gun and got me through the academy qualifications. Carried it until the Glocks were introduced ......... I recall that DeSantis was the only holster maker for a couple years.

The S&W 66 is a fine handgun.
  8. johnlives4christ

i didnt shoot anything but full power loads out of my 66. i dont know how many i shot, but i had a half of a five gallon bucket full of just 357 brass, all from that one gun. i couldnt see that it loosened up the gun in any way. i heard people telling about it then, but i dont have any experiance with it so i cannot say. if the 66 couldnt take 357's for the life of the gun, why would the chamber it in 357?

i like the sw semi auto's, the ones i have seen are good guns, and i have asked my local gunsmith about them and his only reply was just keep it clean and it will last forever
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Because they were designed for cops. Cops carry guns a lot, and shoot them a little. So they designed a powerful (for if they had to shoot it) and lightweight (so it didn't drag their belt off) gun.
  10. johnlives4christ

well i guess i haddent thought of it that way alpo.
  11. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I have a 66, and it takes what ever you put through it. GREAT REVOLVER. $750.00 and up in primo shape. Plus the best trigger action I've ever felt from the factory...Amazing!!!!!!!![​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  12. johnlives4christ

i only give like 400 for the one i had a few years back. i haven't checked the price on them recently but i cant see them being 700+