1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smith and Wesson Pistols (Unknown Caliber)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

trackermt
    (2/10/03 1:11:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Smith and Wesson Pistols (Unknown Caliber)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently acquired 2 revolvers from my grandfather's estate. I am unable to determine the caliber of either pistol. I have provided all markings and the cylinder and barrel length in the hope that someone may be able to provide some info as to model and caliber and date of manufacturer.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass. Serial No. 263255
    3 1/4'' barrel 1 7/32'' cyclinder
    Pat. Jan 6,1882

Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass. Serial No. 5205
    6'' barrel 1 9/16 cyclinder
    U.S. patent May 25, 1880

Edited by: trackermt at: 2/10/03 1:14:44 am

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/10/03 9:06:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Smith and Wesson Pistols (Unknown Caliber)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Trackermt to the forum.

Are you measuring the barrel from the back end where the cylinder almost touches the barrel bullet entrance...to the front end where the sight is?

Are grips wood, checkered, logo emblems brass with S&W logo emblem. Or are they black rubber/plastic looking with checkering and emblems. Round butt grip or square butt grip.

Does it have swing out cylinder to the left side of frame or is it a breaktop hinged barrel on frame.

Our resident gun Doctor has gone to the shot show, but he will be back in a couple of days...maybe he can help.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 2/10/03 11:56:15 am

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/03 9:29:44 am)
    Hi Trackermt.....welcome to TFF.

We're going to need some more information here. It's impossible to tell what caliber or model you have by the serial #s.

Am I correct in assuming that these are both top-break revolvers?

Are you sure that there's no model # or caliber written anywhere on the revolvers?

Do they both have hammers?

Are they double action or single action? Single action means that you have to cock the hammer before you can fire the revolver. Double action means that a single pull of the trigger will both cock the hammer and fire the gun.

Are they 5 shot, or 6 shot?

Is the trigger guard round or square backed.

You might also want to post this in "Ask The Pros".....

GG....I'm thinking .32 or .38 DA 2nd or 3rd Model....how about you?

Edited by: Xracer at: 2/10/03 9:34:35 am

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/10/03 12:03:34 pm)
    Well, my first reply got chopped off half way being posted, so I had to just re edit the darn thing.

But if they are pre 20th century then theres a good chance they are breaktops. But we need some more discription to solve this one.

Maybe the serial numbers will help but I don't have access to books on serial numbers.

I have a recent purchase of a .45 S&W that was made in early 20th century but don't know for sure what the heck its model is. Has a 6.5 inch barrel and looks like a 1917 but only has Smith & Wesson .455 on the left side of the barrel and no model numbers. Also, has couple of small Canadian proof marks very small that look like crossed flags.

They never made any 1917s with 6.5 inch barrels did they?

Oh yeah, the serial number is 324XX and all match on parts.

GG

Edited by: AGunguy at: 2/10/03 12:05:27 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/03 5:18:47 pm)
    GG.....yours is a .455 Mark II Hand Ejector 2nd Model. Similar to the 1st model without an extractor shroud. Barrel length was 6.5". Generally British or Canadian proofed. Serial # range was 5000 to 74755. Manufactured from 1915 to 1917.

Made for the Brits for WWI, before we got into it, and S&W started making the M1917 for Uncle Sam. Basically the same gun.

70% = $250
    80% = 300
    90% = 360

You owe me a beer!

Trackermt.....if you can get back to us with the info we requested (or better still, a picture) we can probably puzzle out what you've got.

Edited by: Xracer at: 2/10/03 5:25:24 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/10/03 7:06:27 pm)
    One beer coming up...I'm pouring it into the keyboard...get ready to lap it up X.

But! Hold the horses there X. If they started making them in 1915 how could it be called a 1917? And by my fairly low serial number 32000 range, I figure it must have been a civilian model.

My S&W doesn't say Webly Mark II on the barrel or anyother place on the gun, it just says [.455] period.

I am still not convinced its a 1917 model gun. Besides, doesn't military revolvers always have seperate issue numbers?

I'm putting a straw on my keyboard and slurping that beer back...ugh...that taste awful.

GG

fredarmory
    (2/10/03 8:11:44 pm)
    my 1882 top break S&W says the caliber on the side of the
    barrel, number first then cartridge type, 38 S&W ctg.
    on these the hammer is the key figure, along with a oval trigger guard or a rectangular trigger guard.

fredarmory
    (2/11/03 10:04:51 am)
    Maybee someone who knows about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police contracts could clue you in.
    (NOT ME)!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/11/03 12:07:49 pm)
    Yea, Freadarmory. Would be neato if it was mountie gun, but not such luck...no RCMP on the backstrap or anywhere else.

I wish that first poster at the top of the thread would come back with some more information on description of his two revolvers...I'm like the guy waiting for the other shoe to drop.

GG

trackermt
    (2/12/03 12:04:49 am)
    Appreciate the quick responses. Obviously I did not provide as much helpful info as I could have. I am stationed in Hawaii and do not have possession of these revolvers at this time but have requested that my father collect the details you suggested.
    Hopefully I can post it along with pics within a couple of days if I am not on an all expense paid vacation to SWA before then.

Thanks for your patience.

TrackerMT

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/03 8:36:00 am)
    No problem TrackerMT.

Tell your dad that we'd like a photo of both sides of each gun, and ALL of the writings on each gun. With that, we should be able to ID them for you (and maybe even give you the approximate value).

14 below zero here in Minn-eeee-sota this morning....bet it's a little nicer in Hawaii!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/03 9:40:22 am)
    Sure is nice to talk to folks from such a beautiful place as Hawaii, enjoy neighbor and we'll await the news on your revolvers.

But that darn X demands a lot of beers for just a tiny bit of information.

Gunguy