1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smith J Frame

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Logansdad, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

Any Smith J Frame fans out there ?..I'm thinking about getting a model 638 aluminum frame stainless bodyguard for gulf coast summertime carry
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yeah, LD. Ya got one here.

I've got a Model 49 Bodyguard.....it's my main "Hot Summer" carry gun, and I love it.

If I may, however.....if you like the Bodyguard style, I'd suggest that you opt for the 649. Yeah, it's just a bit heavier, but....

A number of years ago, I bought a Model 38. It was in really nice condition, but when I took it home and shot it....at 10 yards it shot 7" low and to the left. Tried several different loads, and always got the same results.

When I took it back to the gunshop where I'd bought it, the S&W Salesman was there. I told Bob, (the owner) what the problem was, and he and the Smith salesman both said at the same time: "Too many +P's!"

What happens is that the J frame has a narrow top strap and Aluminum alloy has no "memory" (elasticity) and will stretch with continued use of +P loads. The steel J frames don't have that problem.

Anyway, Bob refunded my money, the Smith salesman got a new 49 shipped the next day, and Bob sold it to me for dealer's wholesale (and apologised all over the place....ya gotta love a guy like that)!

Anyway, my 2 cents worth of opinion.

BTW, I've got Pachmayr "J Frame" grips on mine and love 'em.
  3. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

the aluminum frame is a must...I'm not interested in a steel frame snubby
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

yep, a mdl.60 here... and yep a little more weight than the alloys but it allows me the confidence that I won't have to contend with the corrosion and/or rust. :D
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Agree, Zig. My 60 is usually a backup and in an ankle holster. Good to know the salt won't hurt the stainless. The extra weight is minimal under those circumstances.
  6. Chieftain

Chieftain New Member

I have owned both the 649 and 638. I got rid of the 649.

The 649 does shoot better. It is stainless steel

THe 638 is the j frame I carry, in a Kramer pocket holster.

Carries nice and light and shoots ok. I shoot non +p.

I carryfor social purposes Winney 158 LSWCHP +P.

Shoot it enough to know where the carry load will go.

nuff said.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Chieftan.......Welcome to TFF.

Nice to see new members giving their opinions and experience here.

Hope you'll settle in and post often.
  8. Chieftain

Chieftain New Member

Xracer,

Thank you for the welcome aboard.

Fred
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi Chieftan.......Welcome to TFF.

Hope you will visit us and post often.
  10. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Not Skunk and Weasel, but I have a Taurus M85UL that I'm rather fond of. ;)
  11. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

1) The J frames are great. I prefer the Centennial because it so slick and compact.

2) The alloy frame is not as durable. If you plan a lot of practice or fun shooting I would recommend a steel frame. The alloy is much nicer to carry concealed, though.

3) I have this argument all the time, these days. The +P .38 Special loads are not that much more powerful than standard ammo. You gain about 50 FPS so I don't see how they can be all that punishing. For such a small performance gain I don't see the value in +P loads but I doubt that they are "all that" in regards to accelerating wear. A gun can shoot low for any of a number of reasons and use of +P ammo does not strike me as a prime suspect.
  12. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

I'm gonna load it with Glasers (or shotshells when I go fishing in moccassin territory), put some Eagle Secret Service grips on it and a horsehide pocket holster