1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Smith or Ruger?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Whitefang81, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Whitefang81

Whitefang81 New Member

Well i cant make up my mind, i want to get a pistol, but should i get a auto loader or a revolver, now if u all had a choice between a smith 686 or a Ruger gp-100 .357 mag which would u choose?
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

It's the ole Cadillac/Lincoln argument.

I would prefer the Smith 686.....
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep! That bee's the pup I been lookin' at!!!...;)
  5. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Bought a gp100 stainless from a cop tuesday morning and come sunday, me and a bowling pin are goin to the range and only one of us is coming back, i shot them before and i love the look and feel of the gun it's great

supposed to be about 10 degrees though :mad:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For fit and finish and for a good trigger the 686 is the one.

The test I did once was to have the dealer lay the two guns side by side for a direct comparison. It was beauty and the beast in a comparison between the 686 and the GP100. I eventually had both guns but the Ruger is gone now and I am left with three S&W revolvers including a new 686. The GP100 was a fine gun but the finese of the Smith overwhelms the Ruger.

LDBennett
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Well said.
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Agreed, 100%!
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep LD! You are "right on" as far as having them, comparing them and letting some of them move on! I've never had either one so now I've got to be on the look-out for a GP-100 and the 686...;)
  10. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I eventually had both guns but the Ruger is gone now and I am left with three S&W revolvers including a new 686.

Almost the same here - currently have a 686 and a 629. Ruger shot very well but was not as refined in my opinion. But a GP100 with a real action / trigger job (not a spring job) would be nice. Some of the newer GPs I have seen have had some finish issues. The GP100 I owned was a late 80s revolver.
  11. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've got a GP-100 with a 6" barrel and I love the thing. True the S&W is more refine in fit & finish, and the trigger out of the box is sweeter, but I preffer the Ruger's more rugged construction, and inherent strength. I has a solid feel, and being a reloader, I feel more confident shooting some of my experimental loads out of the GP than I would the S&W.

I'm looking to add another .357 magnum wheel gun to my collection with a 4" barrel, and I've looked at the S&W 686 again, but I'll probably go with another GP-100....we'll make that decission when the money is in hand.....
  12. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Finally someone else giving the gp-100 some love
  13. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I have the 686 in a 2.5 inch barrel. I love it. I made a set of "boot style" wood gun stocks for it. My friend owns a Ruger GP 100. He likes my pistol, but I don't like his. Remember, Smith & Wesson is the revolver with the most tunable action.
  14. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I've always been a big fan of Rugers simply because of durability, reliability and value. Have to admit I have had couple of bad experiences with Smith and Wesson pistols and I haven't been inclined to give them another try to often.
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've gotta go with the Ruger. I've never shot that particular gun, but Ruger's are a sweet gun in general. I've got a .44 super redhawk and I couldn't be happier. It's one of the most solid guns I've seen. It's rough, but you can't beat it in my opinion. When I bought it I looked at a S&W .357 as well and it just wasn't appealling at all. The "molded" grip S&W had on thier gun was apparently made for a midget or a woman and it looked cheap(Though it was a good $200 more than the ruger.). And personally, I like revolvers. They cant mess up on you near as easily as an auto. The only problem I've had with mine was when I screwed up a shell that I loaded, but that was the shell and not the gun. I just dont trust auto's. If I'm gonna be in a shoot out, I guess I would take one cause I could get more shots off, but for everything else, give me a revolver.

Country101