Smith & Wesson 22 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Shuler3, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Shuler3

Shuler3 New Member

Hello,

I have inherited a 22 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver. The original grips are missing and were at sometime replaced with generic ones. I would like to replace those and would also like more information on the revolver. I can try to post pictures if necessary but here is a description: It is blued with a 4" barrel. On the left side of the barrel reads Smith & Wesson and on the right side is written 22 long rifle CTG. Inside the cylinder is the number 218 93. On the bottom of the grip frame is the number 2126. Printed on the right side near the trigger is the words "Made in USA, Marcas Registradas, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Mass" on 4 lines. The Smith & Wesson logo and trademark are on the opposite side. It looks to be in overall good condition with no extreme wear or scratches. Any information that you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Pictures will be necessary. that serial numbers fits half a dozen S&W 22,s. Every thing from a original Hand Ejector Ladysmith M frame to an early J Frames . The number on the bottom of the grip is the serial number.:eek:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ron, I think that Marcas Registradus thing started when Bangor Punta bought them, in '65.
  4. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

Open the cylinder and see if there is a model number stamped on the frame. Also, if you post some pictures it would be easier to give you the correct answer.
  5. red14

red14 New Member

Wandering over from the big boys, eh? Nice forum here. Stay awhile. Nice people here.;):D
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

Actually, I believe Marcas Registradas was first used in 1948 to combat the many counterfeit S&W's from South America and Spain.:)
  7. Shuler3

Shuler3 New Member

The number on stamped inside with the cylinder open is 21893
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Guess you're right. I just checked my SCSW, and it says, speaking of M&Ps, "Postwar production with have the four line address 'Made in USA, Marcas Registradas, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Mass'." Seems like "postwar" would be starting in '46, though, not '48.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "postwar" statement seems to conform to my recollection and to my guns.

S&W had a lot of problems from the 1920's on with cheap copies, mainly from Spain. To combat them, the use of "Marcas Registrada" (Registered Trademarks) was meant for the Latin American market. Another approach was to trademark an S&W feature, the case colored hammer and trigger. By doing so, S&W trapped the importers of copies.

If the maker did not color those parts, the guns would not look like S&W's; if he did, the importer could be sued for trademark infringement. But in order to retain a trademark, it must be used. Which is why S&W colors their current MIM parts, when it would be simpler to just blue them.

Jim
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Now that's interesting. I just asked, on the S&W board, what was up with my Victory having REG US PAT OFF stamped in the hammer. I checked a half-dozen other Smiths, and none of them had it. They said it shouldn't be on a Victory - apparently the gun was put together using old parts (which was common). That told me that the hammer was was probably from the 30s, but still didn't tell me why it was marked so.
  11. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

I have grips for the J frame S&W. Set of pachmayer, round butt. set of wood grips (1982) for square butt and a wood set for the round butt.

john414r@hotmail.com
  12. Shuler3

Shuler3 New Member

Here are a few pics. I hope these help.

Attached Files:

13. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

That's a pre model 34 Kit Gun, aka Model of 1953 .22/,32 Kit Gun. It was made prior to 1955 when the upper side plate screw was discontinued. According to the serial number, it appears to have been manufactured in 1950.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  14. Shuler3

Shuler3 New Member

What grips should i be looking for to replace the missing ones? Also, any idea of value?
  15. red14

red14 New Member

If you want to shoot it, get Hogues. My old one has them, feel great in your hand.
  16. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

You should look for J-frame round butt grips that have a diamond around the screw holes. They're not going to be too easy to find and will be fairly pricey. You want to find a pair whose condition match the condition of your revolver and, if possible, have a serial number as close as possible to the serial, number of your gun.

I'm a moderator on the S&W Forum so feel free to post in the WTB section there. The site address is www.smith-wessonforum.com. If you don't find a pair there, I'd be surprised.