Smith & Wesson Auto 35 Model 1913

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tatt2dcop, Mar 20, 2011.

1. tatt2dcop

tatt2dcop New Member

I just received a S&W, Auto 35, model 1913, from my grandfather so I took it to a friend to have it cleaned and worked on. I found out there are a few parts missing within the slide to make it function/fire correctly. I know they are hard to come by, let alone parts, but this gun is in GREAT shape and I was advised it is in excellant condition (I know everyone thinks there gun is worth top dollar..lol). But seriously this gun isn't about the money, its about keeping it in the family and the desire to pass this along to my kids. So anyways, I was advised to post on here to see if anyone could assist me??? If so could you please reply or email me back with any information.....thank you!!!

lebrunmatt@hotmail.com
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not sure what you want to know. I know of no source for parts for that gun, but some might be made if you can describe what is missing.

Those guns are interesting and were made as yet another way to get around Browning's patents on a pocket auto pistol. The basic design was originated by Clement in Belgium and purchased by S&W. But the light breechblock necessitated such as strong spring that the gun can't be loaded by a person of average strength, so a mechanism was designed to allow the breechblock spring to be disconnected for loading. The method of dismounting, the safety, and the grip installation were also used because Browning had patented the more obvious and simpler designs.

Jim
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

These pistols were made in two calibers, .32 and .35, the .32 being far more valuable, since it was made in much smaller quantities.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The .35 caliber pistol and the .32 caliber pistol are similar but not the same gun. The Model 1913 was the first, made in .35 caliber (.35 S&W Auto). The name was hype, meant to convey the idea that the cartridge was more powerful than Colt's .32 ACP; in fact the bullets are the same diameter and close to the same velocity, though the S&W case is biigger and won't fit into a .32 ACP chamber.

S&W made 8350 of the Model 1913; it was not a big seller for a number of reasons, and was discontinued in 1921. One of the biggest complaints was that the special cartridge was hard to find. In 1924, S&W brought out what is sometimes called the Model 1924, chambered for the .32 ACP, but that didn't help. In fact, fewer of those were sold (only 957) than the .35 caliber pistol, and the last one was shipped in 1936, though manufacture probably stopped several years earlier.

The result was to sour S&W on auto pistols so much that they left the field entirely, not producing another auto pistol until 1954, when they brought out the Model 39.

Jim