Smith & Wesson M&P Repair Horror Story

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by New Guy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Just for reference, here is the original thread: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=87183

So I sent my M&P back to Smith through my local gun store initially on 2/25. I called Smith to make sure they received it and they did. I explained the problem to the person I spoke to on the phone, he assured me they would replace the slide and have it back to me in about 3 weeks.

Sure enough 3 weeks later I get a call from the shop I sent it out through, they had gotten it back from Smith, so I went on 3/20 to go pick it up. I get to the shop, they bring out the firearm and I immediately take it down to check the underside of the slide.

They had done nothing. Apparently, there was some sort of "clerical error" at Smith and they replaced the wrong part.

Needless to say I was less than pleased.

I had the store send it back and asked them to follow up with Smith to see if they could get the repair expedited since they messed up the first time. He assured me he would talk to them.

Fast forward a week later to 3/28, Smith has finally checked in my gun. I call Smith and explain the situation to them and ask them to do what they can to expedite the service. I wait on hold to speak to someone for over 10 minutes. The Smith rep basically doesn't seem to care about my issue and tells me it will be 2-3 weeks to have the repair done. I again explain to him the issue I had with the previous repair, he doesn't seem to care and seems mildly annoyed that he has to listen to me and basically says "sure, whatever." and says I should have it in a week. I'm a bit frustrated from his lack of professionalism and tact but I really don't care, if this guy can deliver and get me the gun back in a week I'm happy.

I call back on 4/4. I still have no gun. I wait on hold for over 15 minutes to speak to someone. This time the gentleman I talk to at least is sympathetic to my situation and apologizes. He assures me he will have the repair expedited and I will have the gun shipped back by Friday (4/8).

I call today. I wait on hold for a little under 10 minutes. I explain my situation again. The rep is semi-interested, and then tells me, (after I explain to him I was promised to have the repair expedited twice) that they received the gun on 3/28 and it typically takes 2-3 weeks.

I've had it I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. He transfers me to her. I get voicemail. I leave a voicemail. I am officially on ten. I call back and ask to be transferred to a supervisor, the receptionist is nice and assures me she will pass a note to "Kate" to have her call me before she leaves. I get no phone call.

I will never buy another Smith and Wesson product again.

I took receipt of this firearm on 1/25 of this year. I have officially now been without this gun more than I have been with it since I purchased it. Everyone tells me what a great customer service department Smith & Wesson has. I'm not buying it.

I understand people make mistakes. I understand repairs can take time. I don't understand how people can continue to feed me lines of bull just to get me off of the phone and treat me like I'm a pain just for asking them to do what they said they would do. Once would be an isolated incident, twice could be a coincidence. This many times is indicative of just horrible customer service, they should be ashamed.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Geese for a while there Smith seemed like they were stealing designs from Taurus, now it seems that they are also taking their CS training from them. Sorry bout your luck. Hope you get it back soon and right this time.
  3. ozo

ozo Active Member

Ya, that's BS.
    It's a shame such a well known name
    would end up with a rep like this.
  4. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Story gets better... Kate didn't even call me back, she had the receptionist call me back... supposedly I'll "have it back in a few days."
  5. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Sorry for you, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. My experiences so far with S&W, Ruger and Kimber have all been tainted through the years due to P.P. Customer Service. I have found that a good gunsmith is well worth the money and aggravation in comparision to most Customer Service depts, not to mention the shipping costs these days, and worrying if your gun will be stolen by the shippers people.(that happened to my buddy's gun)
    Problem is finding a good gunsmith.
  6. dadtrap

dadtrap New Member

Sory to hear about your poor experience. I called about a defective mag for my M&P15 im 5.56 they sent me three for the inconvience. Sounds like it depends on the CS agent you deal with. I have been fortunate I guess in dealing with them I guess.
  7. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I have heard so much bad press lately about S&W's lack of quality and poor CS that this time around I decided on a Ruger KLCR instead of the Smith I was considering. So far I'm not a bit sorry and New Guy's story just makes it better. Sometimes the corporate exec's are the last to know. On the plus side, it might just make my old Smith's worth more!
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Sorry your going through what many of us have already gone through. Bought my first and last S&W auto, about 3 years ago. I guess when they finally have fewer customers they will be able to give better service. Wonder how few it has to get to.
  9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I had already come to this same conclusion after my experience with S&W.
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I phone ordered a magazine for my M&P .45 just last week. Now wouldn't it make sense to check your inventory and advise customer on availability when accepting an order? So yesterday I get a postcard from S&W telling me the magazine is on backorder. I can't believe a gun manufacturer wouldn't have a ton of mags on hand for every gun they make. But that's a minor complaint compared to yours. I seriously hope I don't have problems with this the only S&W product I own

Now Ruger on the other hand have been great to deal with so far. Hope it never changes..
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

When I have trouble with any customer service rep I ask for the supervisor. If I get the voice mail or a promise of a call back I ask to talk with their supervisor and I don't get off the phone until someone of authority talks directly to me. I then explain the problem and turn the tables on them with a question of "what would you do if this was you new whatever and you got the run around like this?". And I collect the name of all that I talk to and if all I get is a first name then I ask them for their employee number and/or an extension number. It does not always work but usually when they realize you are not buying their story they get serious and make promises that they can and will keep. I make them repeat their promise multiple times and tell them I will hold them to their promise and pass along any failures to keep those promises to all my friends and their upper management. Sometimes you just have to be super assertive to get numies to do their job!

S&W for decades was a premium company that made excellent products. Then they got sold in the 1970's, I believe. Their quality and service was the first to suffer. I bought revolvers in this time frame and they were filled with machine shop dust so thick that every thing that operated felt gritty. Nothing short of a full takedown and cleaning would remove it. Then with another ownership change or management change (??) they started making quality guns again sometime around 2000. Maybe there has been another change of management or something. Maybe it is time to correspond with the CEO directly(??).

What is scary for me in the light of this thread is that I have a Model 657 revolver that has to go back because it is spitting lead badly. I guess I'll have to risk getting it fixed by them as there are no good gunsmiths within hundreds of miles from me. Unfortunately I don't have a range rod for this 41 mag revolver so I a can not even verify that it is out of time before sending it back but it must be as it definitely is spitting lead. Oh well.

LDBennett
  12. I'm3rd

I'm3rd New Member

While I was in the shop of a gunsmith friend of mine back in the early 1990s UPS delivered a new N frame that he had ordered for a customer. First thing he did was remove the sideplate and dumped out a 1/2 handful of metal shavings and chips. He said it had become routine for Smiths to come in like that, but some also came with more serious problems. On the other hand, all my Smiths were built in the 1960s and '70s and are as well built and trouble free after many years use as any firearm or other mechanical device I have ever owned.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Folks , if i may suggest phone back and ask not for the service people but the national service managers email and send him a link to this thread , let him see how folks are seeing what their service is like , how they screw customers about ( maybe for fun maybe as a put off so they dont ask for service in future saving the company $$) and how possible customers are being converted to no possibility of being a customer .. by their actions ( or lack there off)

i bagged out barretta Australia on one forum , 50 or so aussies chimed in with similar experiences , then someone suggested we boycott barretta and all they sell

Baretta where on the phone to me that night at 7:35 PM !!! he'd got the email from barretta USA and told to FIX IT

long story shortened , we have a new boss at barretta Australia, we have decent service now and they have someone dedicated to chasing up sergvice work ensuring customers are happy

a big change from the " hold please" and being sent to voicemail that never got responded too

if they wont call you back do not give em your money , demand they replace what dont work with cash , and complain like a stuck pig ..

if enough folks think the same and refuse to buy their stuff that breaks and that they wont fix they'll either fix the issues or go broke and thats ok by me too as one less crook in our line is always a GOOD THING

no company is too big to proved decent service , if they are too big to do so they need to be taken down some ..
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. dadtrap

dadtrap New Member

jack404

I own firearms from every major manufacturer including Berretta. You can find horror stories as well as great CS from all of them. Here is the best way I have found to handle these issues before they become a crisis. Get the CS agents name prior to sending your forearm in for repair and ask them an approximate time frame for the repair. Include their name in your letter so that someone can hold them acountable for any misinformation. When I sent my 682 in to have a set of choke tubes made for it they told me 4 to 6 weeks. When it went over I called cs and asked for that cs agent and had him track down what was going on with my firearm. Turns out they broke the tang sent to Italy for a receiver so they could match serial number on my 682. Most poor cs issues can be resolved by makng sure you have a single point of contact rather han bouncing aroud huge corporations. :