Smith & Wesson Model 25-2 Revolver in .45ACP

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LarryNC, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LarryNC

LarryNC New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I discovered it by doing a google search of the following.

Smith & Wesson Model 25-2 Double Action Revolver. .45 ACP caliber, 6 1/2-inch barrel with target sights and marked on right side: .45 cal. Model 1955. Blued finish. Case-hardened hammer and trigger. Checkered walnut competition grips with thumbrest and contour grip.

I followed the link here and the revolver they were discussing was something different than the one that I am looking at. Any information at all, even a very rough guess/estimate would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. My interest in this revolver is to replace the best revolver that I have ever been fortunate to have. It was a model 625 with the five inch barrel and I ended up having to sell it because I got into a financial bind. I have regretted it ever since. That 625 was a great revolver. I know that they still make them, but I just don't like the four inch barrels that they come with these days. This one is, of course, a much older model than my 625. I have always preferred the looks of blued steel to stainless and I really like the idea of the 6.5 inch barrel.

Larry Campbell
    Hickory, NC
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What do you want to know? Value? Without seeing it one can't be sure, but a 25-2? Easily somewhere between 4 and 7 hundred.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Larry. As Alpo stated we would need to see some pictures. His range of price is what I saw at the big gun show this weekend. Where it falls in that range depends on condition, condition, condition. Some really nice ones at the show went above the $700 figure but you have to assume there is bargaining room in any asking price.
  4. LarryNC

LarryNC New Member

Alpo,

I am sorry. That was really silly of me to leave that part out. Yes, I was wondering as to value. I am getting ready to purchase this firearm. As far as pictures go... there are a couple, but they aren't too detailed. I will try to attach them here. Thank you, for your feedback and for reminding me to actually ask the question I came here to ask in the first place. There is no mention of a box or any tools. It is described as fine to excellent condition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. LarryNC

LarryNC New Member

todd51, Thank you for your reply. When I was reading and responding to the reply from Alpo, your post was no yet visible. Thank you, to both of you for your feedback. The pictures I posted are the only ones I have. I am bidding on this gun on an internet auction and I was wondering as to value because I did not want to bid too much or too little. Your information will certainly help me to do that. I am unable to go as high as the $700.00 price that you mentioned in your e-mail. But I will still bid on it as high as I can. Thank you.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The replacement grips will lower the value a little. From those pix it appears to be in fine shape. I'd go to five, but I'm a cheap sucker, and if it goes for that little, I'd be surprised. And, of course, if it comes with the wood presentation box, it will be more, and having the tools will up the price, and if the tools are unopened that will up it more.
  7. LarryNC

LarryNC New Member

Well guys, It ended up going for more than $700.00 so I did not get it. But I do want to thank you for your help and advice. It is very appreciated. Nice to meet you.

Larry Campbell
  8. LocalHero

LocalHero New Member

Hello. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 25-2 for sale. I bought it new and had some custom work done on it by a fellow who was recommended by Massad Ayoob years ago. I think I sent it to Oklahoma or Louisiana (or somewhere nearby) for him to work on it but, over the years and several moves, I no longer have the paperwork from him but you'd probably recognize the name from advertising in gun mags of the 80's. He cut the barrel to about 3 3/4" (right where the 'Smith & Wesson' name starts and '45 cal. Model 1955' ends) and replaced the front square-post target sight with a ramp with a red insert. Also the hammer is nicely bobbed so it won't catch on clothing and you won't be tempted to try to hold a suspect (burglar/robber) in a stressful situation with it in single-action mode. He also slicked-up the trigger (I believe they called it a 'police action-job') and installed Pachmayr grips although I think I still have the originals too. If I recall, the custom work cost about $150-$175 back in the 80's. I don't have the time to shoot and never really did so it just sat around. I'd guess it has less than 100 rounds fired through it - possibly less than 50. I'd let it go for about $700 though. It's located in Michigan. My email is localhero100 at comcast dot net if you'd like some pics.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012