Smith & Wesson model 52

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by AGB, Jul 13, 2005.

1. AGB

AGB New Member

Fellows,

Got one a few days ago, it is all happiness till now. Anything I should be aware of, any recomendations on reload, mainteance etc...? I liked it a lot, but I'm having some difficulties in getting info in it.
    Yhanks in advance.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Is this a true Model 52 made for 38 special wadcutters only or is it the Model 52-A made for the 38 AMU? The model 52 saw production up to the Model 52-2 with production ending in 1993. My bet would be the Model 52 as the Model 52-A is a rarity. The Model 52 was designed for 38 Special wadcutters only!
  3. AGB

AGB New Member

It is a model 52-1, sn 56XXX, and it does only works with a certain type of ammo, like the 38 spl, but the bullet is contained into the cartridge, guess this is what You call wadcutters (see, I can already get a gun, want me also to know the right name of the ammo in english ?? ;-))) ).
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have been shooting one that belongs to a friend and I want one. :D :D
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

My '52 likes nothing better than 140gr Bevel based wadcutter bullets, atop 2.7 grains of bullseye. Factory target loads are not as reliable, nor as accurate, in my pistol, as the preceding.
    Not a powerhouse, but one very precision paper punch!
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have some old Winchester/Western Mid Range Target that I have been shooting in Kinbermans 52.

It shoots better than I can :D
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

The lone ranger left silver bullets. What you are shooting is gold!
    Save that stuff for a money match; you'll never see any more!
  8. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I have the S\W 52-2 and it's some gun. It's been around for a long time and it requires that you shoot only 38 wadcutters in it. I have several guns .....and some are the best you can buy. But with the right load and a good shooter I would match it against any gun (Pistol)

I have several Kimbers
    Colt national match
    Colt 45ACP & Etc.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Kimber, you are spot on, there! If you do your part, as a loader and a shooter, the S&W 52 is one hell of a paperpunch; the only prouction pistol that would favorably compare is the Sig 240 (I think that's the number), in .32S&W long, and .38 Sp Midrange; they are twice, or more, the price of the Smith, but very accurate, as well
    While the .38 wadgun will never be a powerhouse, nor does it need to be, as a paper punch, it might make one hell of a 'house gun', for the recoil sensitive; 5 or 6 of those underpowered bullets, at 15 feet or less, all in one ragged hole! "But, Officer, he kept twitching", might be good enough.
    Anyway, a FINE pistol, easy to load for, and as accurate as it gets!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  10. AGB

AGB New Member

Stash247,

The guy that sold me the SW has a SIG 240. You can even swap magazines between them. Funny thing. He has some small advantage using the 240 over the 52, He shoots much better than I do, in my hands it's the very same thing. Other fellow offered me a SIG 280 in my 52, but I turned it down, rather be with the 52. Loved the gun. Other weird stuff I'm looking for is an AMT automag in 30M1. Or a long slide in 45 ACP. BUt both are almost impossible to find here.