Smith&Wesson Model 67

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gaowlpoop, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 67 that I need a value on.

Model 67-1

Carried by a police officer a lot, fired little.

It shows a fair amount of holster wear. The cylinder is polished bright like a mirror where it rubbed the holster. There are also some other places showing similar wear. There is also 2 small dings in the grips, visible in the first photo.

The gun was not cleaned after it was last fired, which was about 20 to 25 years ago. It has lived in a dresser drawer since then, in the holster. The bore is not scuffed or leaded, the cylinder is very very dirty with powder residue. The forcing cone is completely incrusted with powder residue.

It has some sort of a problem with lock up. When dry fired in double action, it does not lock up the cylinder every time. The cylinder is completely free to turn. This does not happen in single action mode. I do not think it is a timing problem, rather a dirt and lack of lubricant problem, but I am not sure.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

GP, your gun was produced from 1977-1988. NIB value is 500, exc. is 300, VG is 250, fair is 150, poor is 100. It is a stainless version of the model 15, aka the .38 combat masterpiece. It should be easy to give it a good cleaning. You have a good one there. Enjoy.
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Huh. On a high-quality gun like this, that has not been fired much and has not been cleaned or oiled in 20-odd years, lack of lubrication and accumulated dust from carrying are the first things I would suspect for causing a lock-up problem. My first impulse would be to drench the lockwork with a thin, non-gumming oil (I use Rem-Oil myself) through every available aperture, then let the gun sit, turning it over and upside down once in a while.

(You can take the sideplate off to oil the trigger mechanism more directly, but it's very easy to damage the plate while doing so. Jim K wrote a very good post about this, but I can't find it at the moment.)

But if you think it is a timing problem, the best thing to do is to take it to a gunsmith. Pretty much any gunsmith who works on revolvers should be able to work on it. K-frame Smiths & Weesons are about the most popular revolvers ever made.

BTW, do you plan to sell this gun or shoot it? For shooting, I recommend checking out replacement grips. S&W sold huge quantities of guns with those grips, but most people who shot them much replaced them. Just my $.02.
  4. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

I intend to shoot it. I have a Model 15 from the mid '70 that has NEVER been fired. I wanted this on to shoot.