Smith & Wesson MP15-22 as a home defence weapon

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Mp15-22, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mp15-22

Mp15-22 New Member

Hi every one, before i ask my question i want to thank all of you who have giving me ideas and very helpful aswers. Thank you all. Ok i have an mp15-22 rifle as you know is in .22lr. Now, this rifle is being very reliable to me, it never fails with cci mini mags and cci stingers, so do you think that i could use this rifle as a self defence weapon? Or you think is not powerful enough. If you say "yes" then could you tell me which kind of ammo ( brand) should i use in order to defend my house? Thanks again any answer will be very helpful to me.
  2. sorral

sorral New Member

OK, for starters, The old Mafia used the .22lr a lot to assassinate folks. I have heard of folks hunting deer back in the day with .22lr. If that is all you have, or want to have, I do not see why in a CQB (close quarters battle) situation, that a semi auto .22 could work.
  3. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

A .22 is a fine weapon for home defense. I think the best weapon for self defense is the weapon a person is most proficient with. People don’t take into consideration the mind set of an average criminal. Well trained soldiers and law enforcement officers run into gun fights, most everyone else runs away from them. Criminals want easy targets and I doubt they are going to say, “Ah it’s just a .22 I can take a few shots.” You hit a criminal with anything they are going down or getting the hell out. This is of course not the rule but a general analysis. There are cases that the criminals didn’t have this mind set but these were high profile cases because they are not the norm, for example the “Miami shootout “and the “North Hollywood” shootout. Shot placement is everything. Proficiency, training, and the mindset to win will win the fight. A .22 is a formidable close in weapon. Yes there maybe better weapons but a .22 will due. Because more and more criminals are using body armor, practice high low shooting, shots to the face and groin, pelvic girdle shots can stop an attacker in his/her tracks.
  4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

I don't disagree with the statements above, but whenever someone asks about using a .22 LR for self defense, I try to remind them of the difference between stopping / killing.

The .22 is a deadly round. It will kill an attacker. However, it might not kill that attacker before they have had a chance to ruin your day, month, life, etc. It may take some time for them to bleed out. This process can be sped by the fact that it is easy to fire rapid accurate shots due to the minor recoil of .22.

Heavier rounds make better stoppers. They cause greater damage and more disruption of vital systems. That said, no pistol round is a truly efficient "stopper".

So my own opinion is, no a .22 is not a good choice as a home defense round. If it is all that is handy, it's better than nothing. Go for it.

There are better options available though.
  5. Mp15-22

Mp15-22 New Member

Thank all of for your aswers. Now i have i question, i understand that a .22 will not make the agressor bleed out fast, but what about a head shot? Will a .22 rifle penetrate the skull all the way to the brain. Because if it does then a .22 will kill the agressor instantly, dont you think?
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

It's low light, you just woke up out of a sound sleep, scared stiff and you have to make a head shot on an attacker with your trusty 22 squirrel rifle. My advice buy a pump 12 ga and load it with #4 lead shot.
  7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

Yes, a head shot at relatively short range would probably do the job, but there are a couple of things to consider... one being that it isn't guaranteed to penetrate the skull. The other being what Terry mentioned.
  8. sorral

sorral New Member

Personally at those kind of ranges, I would go with #8 shot. I will still pack a punch, but be less likely to cause collateral damage.