Smith & Wesson revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by REPEATER, May 13, 2012.

1. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

.457 is the cartridge case diameter, and caliber is the bore diameter.

Diameter of the .45 Auto, .455, .476 etc. cases = .476 to .480.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

44 Russian brass is available from Starline. Good brass - I use it in four different guns. If you plan to shoot it, load black powder. It would be a shame to damage that gun. It looks in awful good shape.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Repeater, once upon a time, cartridges were loaded with "heel bullets". They had a "stepped-down" section, inside the case, and the bullet outside the case was the same diameter as the case. These bullets also had the bullet lube on the outside, exposed bullet. 22 Long Rifle is made like that today.

Modern cartridges have what is known as an "inside lubed" bullet. The entire bullet is smaller than the cartridge case, and the part of the bullet inside the case has grooves in it, to hold the bullet lube. The part of the bullet that is exposed is not lubed.

Outside lubed bullets - heeled bullets - get sticky and oily in your pocket. They pick up dirt and trash which gets transferred to the barrel when you shoot them. Inside lubed bullets are much cleaner.

The 44 Smith and Wesson (which came to be called the 44 American) used a heel bullet. Both the OD of the cartridge case and the OD of the bullet were the same - .44.

The Russian government liked the gun, but not the outside lubed bullet. They came up with the inside-lubed bullet. So the same .44 OD cartridge case now has a .43 OD bullet loaded in it.

Same way the original 38 Short Colt used a .38 outside lubed bullet, but both the later 38 Long Colt and 38 Special used a .36 inside lubed bullet.

[​IMG]
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Alpo, the .44 American and .44 Russian case do not have the same OD:

.44 American: .440

.44 Russian: .457

You can't insert a .44 Russian into a .44 American chamber.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

To take it a step further, the Russian case and bullet diameters (.457" and .429" respectively) were used as the basis for the .44 Special, then for the .44 Magnum. The .44 American case fell by the wayside.

Jim
  7. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

so, with that said, I can shoot the .38 special rounds through my .357..

and so this is a model 3 top break, with a russian load?
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You have a "New Model #3", in either 44 Russian or 44 Henry. From the location of the firing pin hole, in post # 13, it appears to be centerfire, which would make it 44 Russian. If your firing pin is pointed, it's centerfire, and will be 44 Russian. If it looks more like the end of a flat-point screwdriver, it'll be 44 Henry rimfire, and you'll be SOL, 'cause the little bit of that that is around is valuable collector ammo, and costs too much to shoot.

44 Russian is being loaded by Black Hills, but it's smokeless, and I wouldn't shoot that in it, if it was mine.

Ten-X loads it with Black Powder. 43 dollars a box.
    http://tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_01132012.pdf
    http://tenxammo.com/tenx_ammo_B.html
  9. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

its not a shooter. too much slop in the cylinder rotation. the finger and stop seam rather worn. something in the trigger too. this revolver has a bolt to adjust the tension of the leaf spring. it's rather odd and touchy. too tight and the hammer wont cock into trigger release range. to loose and I cant remember. and the hammer stays forward really interfering with the top break as the hammer rides up over the break when fired. mos times I have to bring the hammer back just to open the gun.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, REPEATER,

Of course you can shoot .38 Special in your .357 Magnum revolver. Also .38 Short and Long Colt if you can find any.

Jim