Smith & Wesson SD 9 or/vs. Ruger P95

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hoodedmonk, Jan 11, 2012.

?

SD9 vs. P95

Poll closed Jan 13, 2012.
  1. SD 9mm

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. P95

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

I've narrowed it down to these two witch one and why? the gun will be used for home defense as well as the occasional conceal and carry/target/ect,ect.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've never cared much for the feel any SW semi-auto. That's just me though, go with what feels best to you.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Ruger P95. Honestly I would spend the extra 100 bucks and go with the SW M&P line. Supposedly Smith is doing away with the whole SD line.
  5. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

This is good to know. Thanks for the replys!
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I like the older Ruger "P" series guns.......but all of them are like tanks.
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Those ruger P series are just solid well built pistols. They just simple work well.
  8. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I have an SD and I love it. I really believe it's only a matter of which fits your hand the best. The discontinuing of the SD was just a rumor, but S&W still has parts for guns they made 40 years ago anyway. I got the SD HD Kit, came with the NanoVault and the Micro90 weaponlight. I have a Ruger similar to the 95- I really love it, too. But I actually feel more confident with the SD...as far as dependability.
  9. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Thanks for the reply's keep'em coming!
  10. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Yep. My P85 is still one of my favorite guns.
  11. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Not much love around here for the sd line eh?
  12. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Well I just got back from Gun shopping and after going to a Gun show,and three different gun stores I finnally made my decision and brought one home. I bought a Stoegar Cougar 9mm. I dont know a whole lot about them other than watching youtube vids, But the gun felt great and seemed really solid. It's a little bulky and on the heavy side but I think the weight will help with recoil. I did like the P95 better than the SD though and was really close to buying one. If they would have had one in all blue I might have but Im just not a fan of the stainless/chrome and black look. The wanted 339.00 for the p95 but I opted to pay a little more for the Cougar 399.00. When I left the house this morning I really thought my mind was set on the SD but it just felt a little cheap to me and the trigger pull was not what I expected. (Alittle stiff) It did have the best grip though in my opinion. I did find a really good deal on an MP but it was in a 357sig. cal and I really wanted a 9mm. I could see myself owning a MP 9mm in the future. I had myself on a 500.00 budget and included gas and lunch lol.
  13. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

I will let you folks know what I think of the Cougar after I pick up some ammo and It stops dumping rain outside! Gotta love the great Northwest.
  14. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Lol. the one vote for the SD in the poll was me! So the vote actually went 10-0 for the P95 even the guy who said he loved his SD didnt vote for it. I'm a little surprised the vote was so one sided. The SD sells for 399.00 here and the P95 was only 339.00. and the all blue version is 10.00 bucks cheaper if you can find one.
  15. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    LOL...I've had my P85 since 1987, and with over 50K rounds through it I have never had a failure of any type. That's why I recommended the Ruger series.