SMITH & WESSON SIGMA

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by OklahomaBrian, Nov 10, 2009.

1. OklahomaBrian

OklahomaBrian New Member

Does anyone have 1 of these?I'm thinking about adding one to my collection.Are they reliable?Any quality issues?Thanks.
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

2nd gen 40 cal. works so well, shoots so accurately i have used it for IDPA.

mostly now it is a training gun for ccw and SD classes. and for the house.

excellent value for the $ >SW40VE<
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

friend has or had a 9mm. Piece of junk. We went to the range once. All sorts of problems, and it grouped horribly. I let him use my beretta 92 and he never picked his up again. (I know, apples to oranges) For the money your better off finding a used S&W59 or if you want the striker fired ones a taurus mill. pro. There is just too much good used stuff to be messing with the sigmas imo.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1

I've never liked the sigmas; not one single thing about them. That's just me personally, so if they're your cup of tea, thats ok. I think you can find a better gun for equal or little more investment. I would buy a HiPt before I'd buy a sigma or anything by Llama or Raven. The sigma is by no means a "collection" gun in my opinion; just a low end tool that I would not trust my life with.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

though i own a couple of smiths they are older ones, i personally think smith and wesson automatics are not worth owning ( newly made ones at least) and the sigma is the worst of the bunch. yes they are priced right but for the same money you can get a ruger. there is a good reason smith and wesson has dropped to 5th place in guns being carried and issued to police departments, and it's not just because others glock,beretta,sig under bid the contracts it's because they are BETTER
  6. OklahomaBrian

OklahomaBrian New Member

Wow,maybe I'll rethink this.Thanks guys.
  7. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I'd suggest a Ruger P95 instead, or, for a few more bucks, a Glock 17 or 19. All three are stone cold reliable.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  8. zb338

zb338 New Member

The Sigma was S&Ws first try at building a striker fired pistol. They
    got sued by Glock because they copied concepts patented by Glock.
    If you want a striker fired gun get a Glock or a S&W M&P.

Zeke
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Agreed.
  10. 007bondjamesbond007

007bondjamesbond007 New Member

Trigger pull is horrible on the Sigma. I would not get one. I would go with a Glock before the Sigma.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wow i fully expected to get bashed , never thought i get so many that agree.
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I almost bought one way back but wound up with a Ruger P94 in 40S&W and have zero regrets. I have since heard both good and bad but mostly not so good. Like anything else it probably depends on the luck of the draw and how you take care of it.
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if it depends on the luck of the draw i contend that s&w 's quality control must be spotty. i've sold well over 100 sigmas and out of the 100 i know for a fact 40 were sent back to smith for repairs another 20 were traded in within 1 year. based on these number 60% are junk? dunno. i do know i stopped selling all smith and wesson products in 2004. except for their handcuffs those are ok but i think they're made in china.....
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its hard to get bashed when you speak from experience. I know on some other forums you may, but generally those that would bash you don't know any better than what they have.
  15. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

lots of lovers of smith and wesson , hell i happen to love my model 28, and model 39 , but as i've stated these are both out of production guns and old as the hills. the 39 was my issue weapon until replaced by the 59 the 59 sucked by the way.... had a 1006 that i liked alot but once i located a bren 10 i sold the 1006 to a friend who still has it and considers it his favorite gun. but then again he doesn't own any glocks ,sigs or berettas....;)
  16. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I have a 59. What are you talking about it sucking, it rocks, you don't know what your talking about:p ... Kidding, I figured I'd bash ya.

I happen to like my 59 but I know that there were problems out there. Mine was a old service weapon with the local sheriffs dept. It was like new when I got it, but who knows, the department armorer may have swapped a lot of parts in it to keep it going. But its still better than the sigma.
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Had a Sigma at one time, with the optimum word being HAD. Yep, it's a piece of ... junk.
  18. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Newer ones "might" have the kinks the earlier models had worked out but if you want a semi-auto S&W try the M&P series.

If you can find a range with a rental option, try before you buy.
  19. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

And he's STILL your friend???? :D:D:D Maybe you ought to buy him a P6 for Christmas and get him to see the light !! ;)
  20. OklahomaBrian

OklahomaBrian New Member

OK,you guys have changed my mind.Now what do you think about the Ruger P95?I found 1 NIB for 300.