SMLE #7 Mk I Trainer .22LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

OHshooter
    (8/18/02 1:21:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .22 LR SMLE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I ran across a .22LR SMLE today. It is in very good condition, maybe too good, might have been refinished but can't tell for sure.

Anyway it is marked Lithgow 1945 III*

I remember seeing these in Shotgun News or somewhere a few years back but don't remember a whole lot about them. Think that they were training rifles.

The only obvious thing I saw wrong (?) is that there is no spring or follower in the magazive, it is just the outer shell. Seems like there ought to be something inside but can't say for sure. Looks like it would be difficult to single load a cartridge directly into the chamber.

They are asking $325 for it but I am not sure that I like it THAT much! What would be a fair prie for it?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/18/02 8:27:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 LR SMLE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK - here is what you have. A #7 MkI Trainer. This is the quote from the Springfield Sporters, Inc. ad:

"Rare. New condition, missing the following parts: ejector, extractor, front firing pin, magazine box insert, and bolt head. These are British mfg., only a little over 2,600 ever made. Wood is new unissued. $200.00"

Sound like what you were looking at?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

OHshooter
    (8/18/02 9:38:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 LR SMLE
    That sounds like it but I think the only thing missing is the magazine box insert. I'll have to look at it a little more closely.