1. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

Has anyone used mullberry wood for smoking? I have some and didn't know if it was any good. I usually use hickory.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I will use any type of fruit wood. If I had it, I would use it. But why did you cut down the mullberry three? The fruit makes some of the best jam and jellies you have ever ate!
  3. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

I didn't cut it down my brother inlaw did it was in the way. I agree with you on the jams and jellies
  4. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I, too, would use any fruit wood; however, I like mesquite and hickory the best.
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

Turbo Daddy
    I have never smoked any meat with mulberry, it is a close relative of hedge/osage orange. I have used it. Hedge gives a bitter taste if you use too much. I'd give it a try and see.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I wouldn't be scared to try it... I like to use mostly seasoned oak and toss in fruit wood (like most do), it is kinda hard to come by and the sticks are small around here, but the oak is plentiful and the combination works great.

Crpdeth
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't care for mesquite. Hickory is at my harsh limit.
    Apple, cherry, oak are all very good.
    IMHO, alder is the best there is.
  8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Alder and maple mixed with available fruit wood here.
  9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I ususally go with hickory because it is abudant here. I have alos used pecan and apple. I'd try it and see how it does.