smoke pole kits?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sluggermn, Dec 26, 2005.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

can any one recommend where to get a kit to build a b.p. rifle?

my father in law and I are going to try deer hunting during the black powder season this coming year and I think it would be fun to build my own. I have assembled a A.K.47 from a parts kit so I dont think it should be too hard.

what I am searching for is 2 fold, price is a big consederation ease of use is the second. I was looking at cva and a few others and I like the pellets and primer route vs carrying a powder horn and pieces of flint.
    now before you traditionalists get your dander up let me explain, I have never shot b.p. and I think It would be easier to go the more modern route ultill I get the feel for it and then if I enjoy it I will move into flint locks ect... but I have to try it first and I want it to be as easy as possible for starters.

Slugger
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

I have seen them in Wally world for under 100 bucks.

Cabelas has a flint lock just under 300 bucks.
    Muzzle loading kit

One of the diffferences to look for is inletting. Some kits are finsh and assembly, some require a lot of woodworking.

Before you buy, check your local laws to make sure whatever you build, you can use it.

Good luck and send pics when you are done.
  3. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

thanks for the response isb
    I was begining to hear crikits in here...lol

the only problem is I can go to the local gun shop and pick up a brand new cva kodiak pro for that same amount and I would prefer to save a few bucks if I'm going to do most of the work my self.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Check out Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works.
  5. I built one from a CVA kit about 15 years ago (a Hawkin in .45 caliber), Slugger, and it turned out rather well if I do say so myself. It's not really hard, just very painstaking and labor intensive. Oh, figure on buying yourself some files if you don't already have a good selection. Unless they have changed the kit, there is a LOT of file work to do.
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Wel Slugg, you can not go wrong with a CVA.

I have a Optima Pro and it shoots much better than I can hold it on target.

I am wanting to get a Kodiak in .45 for next year. I found one website where they sel for $129...

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  7. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

thanks isb
    do you mind sharing with me where you found such a good price? locally here they are $279.00 for the kodiak and $369.00 for the kodiak pro.
  8. sheepdip

sheepdip New Member

9. sewerman

sewerman New Member

sitting fox,

petonica river,

track of the wolf,

northstar west,

fowlinggun.com,

R.E.Davis custom muzzleloaders

jim chambers

caywood guns