Smokeless Ammunition in Trap-Door

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/23/02 7:20:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Safe Ammo for 45/70 Trapdoor Springfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is it safe to fire commercial Winchester(or other brand)
    45/70 ammo in a 1878 Springfield in excellent condition?
    Thanx, teehee

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/23/02 7:24:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Safe Ammo for 45/70 Trapdoor Springfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldn`t, some do reloads with smokeless powder, but advise others not to do so. LTS

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/23/02 8:08:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Safe Ammo for 45/70 Trapdoor Springfield
    Agreed.

Loading the black powder cartridges is half the fun of shooting it anyway.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/02 1:46:54 pm)
    if it's safe for trapdoors it will state it on the back of the box but jacketed bullets are not kind to those old barrels
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/02 7:09:55 pm)
    Thanx for the advice and the help, teehee :)

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/02 12:45:04 pm)
    teehee1, I shoot a trapdoor. I wondered, and had always heard that the modern jacketed ammo wasn't safe, and it sounds reasonable. Look on the the Remington UMC website, for the number, and call the balistic help desk in MO where the ammo is made, and ask for your self. What they will tell you, Is "the 45-70 Government marked Remmington / UMC ammo is loaded with the rolling block and trapdoors in mind, it is engineered and loaded to be safe for these rifles"! I asked for that statement written, and they faxed it to me. When I get home I'll look for it. I have some friends who still don't believe it even though they've seen the letter.