Smokin' Barrels Custom Gunsmithing

Discussion in 'TFF Craftsman Showcase' started by JLA, Mar 6, 2013.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This rifle is a customers rifle. Its a savage 10 LE series in .308. Ive epoxy bedded the recoil lug, Lapped the bolt lugs. Set headspace to minimum tolerance, installed a rifle basix trigger and set it at 2.5 pounds. Installed a precision Armament M11 brake, and a jeweled bolt body.

This rifle is one of the fan favorites out at VX Marksmanship. We have lovingly dubbed it 'Stubby' due to the short barrel, but it is quite capable of 1/2MOA despite the short tube and a handy dandy little precision carbine.

The camo paint job is the result of the owner, Mark, completing the rifle painting course at VX. Its a milspec marine corps rattle can camo job. ;) Nice job on the paint Mark!

Attached Files:

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Here we have a couple of family guns.

The little blue rifle is my youngest boy Wesley's Savage Rascal .22LR single shot. Its his 5th B-day present from his old man. I had the stock done in dead headz skull pattern. mounted a bipod and a simmons scope. This little dudes been on me for weeks to have skeleton heads put on his rifle so its like mine.

The pink and green camo rifle is Becks new Marlin 60 .22LR. The stock is factory Marlin in Realtree Hardwoods and I had the barreled action, trigger guard and buttplate done in pink camo. It matches her team realtree backpack.

Both of these rifles were done with hydrographics.

Attached Files:

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres another personal rifle. My savage .308 build. Its constantly under construction as Im always doing something to it. Its completely custom in every way. The latest mod was shortening the 26" tube to 20" and having My good friend HelixFR thread the muzzle for a Vias Varmint brake. Dude does solid work :thumbsup:

This is the rifle Wesley wanted his to look like.. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Here are a couple more Personal guns. My CZ75 CWC 9mm and my PT1911A1. Both have been done with Graphite Black Cerakote H-146 in satin. And both wear Hogue billet aluminum grips. Custom work throughout both handguns.

The 1911 has a custom trigger HelixFR fixed me up with. You can see an example of another custom trigger on his page. And there was one other I wish I had also bought when they were being made. A naked lady. It was a cool trigger for a 1911.

Attached Files:

• 2x.JPG
      2x.JPG
      File size:
      250.1 KB
      Views:
    • x2.JPG
      x2.JPG
      File size:
      210 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another rifle from the boys at VX.

This ones a rem 700 LE in .308, wearing a 2300 dollar nightforce and a custom Milspec rattlecan camo job.

I installed the Badger Ordnance DBM Kit on it this afternoon.

Attached Files:

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Parts came in today for this Rem 870 12 ga. Customer specified specific parts and wanted the barrel cut to 19", mag tube extension, fiber optic sight installed, 6 round sidesaddle, Magpul stocks, and a sling. I really like the way it turned out so Im going to do my own 870 the same way. The Magpul stocks are very Ergonomic.

Attached Files:

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Smokin' Barrels is proud to present... Our very own line of Barbie accessories too. :D

Here weve got a Astra Cub .25 in Prison Pink cerakote, and a Llama 111A .380 with White corian grips, cerakoted Prison Pink, and the customers initials etched into the cerakote.

These weapons both belong to proud pistol packin' females. ;)

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And my newest acquisition. Another M1 for my collection. im up to 2 now. I absolutely love these old rifles. They have so much heart and soul.

This is going to be my first attempt at M1 restoration. I just got it today so here are the before pics if you will.

It is in very good shape mechanically and has what appears to be a decent bore. So Im going to start with a refinish both stock and metal, and some new springs throughout, as well as a trigger job and some NM sights, I will probably bed the stock as well. It is a bit loose, though not rattley loose. I will go shoot it tomorrow to see where its accuracy lies, 03-10-13.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Update on the M1. I spent the night and most of the early morning going through the rifle. The bore failed miserably. Its shot out, And I knew when I picked it up that it was going to gauge high. Well if there was a 10 on the Muzzle wear gauge this would be a 10. So I pulled the barrel. And installed a nice new SA tube this awesome dude I know gave me. Range report is next. Then a new stock and a refinish for the steel.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just finished up this Kimber Custom Target for one of my customers. He brought it to me well used and dinged up with a sack full of new parts. He wanted a cerakote job to match the matte of the flames in his Hogue Billett grips and MSH. It turned out pretty nice.

Attached Files:

12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Gotta give a shout out to Sgt. Don Westbrook of Down Range Decals.

Awesome work man!

Im going to pass your card along to the guys at VX.

Attached Files:

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres a good before and after on a 1911 I just finished up for Steve4102 here.

He selected H-238 Midnight Blue Cerakote. Mixed for a Semi Gloss finish, this hue is very very close to a deep matte blued finish, only much more durable.

Attached Files:

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres a shot of probably one of the best bedding jobs Ive ever done. Simply turned out perfect. This is going to be one happy Remington 700.

Attached Files:

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just finished up this Glock 19 in camo. I think it turned out pretty sweet.

Attached Files: