Smoking laws wtf!?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Jan 8, 2010.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Am I the only one who is sick of all the laws telling me where i can and can not smoke. I enjoy smoking, I have for many years. If you dont like it then dont come to bar that allows smoking or dont sit in the smoking section of a restaraunt. Its rediculous!:mad: Just my 2 cents.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Here where I live near Madison, WI, it's been illegal to smoke for some time. I think they have a statewide ban. To me, it's BS.

Whether or not smoking should be allowed in the establishment should be left at the discretion of the owner.

It can be a business killer or a business helper. There are places where you go with your family, sit down and eat, and I know if I had a kid, I would not want them breathing in all the smoke. But there are also places like taverns, where the guys stop after work, sit down and have a beer and a cigarette or something. Now those guys will stay home and have a beer and a ciggy instead of going somewhere.

Even if you do it outside, I don't know if it's legal. And people still give you a dirty scowl. If people don't want to smell it, okay I'll compromise with them and at least go outside. But if you walk right by me when I'm outside and give me $h!+, you should plug your nose and shut your trap.

It should be left up to the owner. As far as outside, it shouldn't be illegal at all.

I quit smoking about a year ago. I notice that when I drink in conjunction with smoking, it brings on hangovers. Plus it's unhealthy. But if other people want to do it, I have no problem with that.
  3. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I quit smoking two and a half years ago, but I hate the anti-smoking laws. People shouldn't smoke right outside of doorways and it bothers me to no end that they don't move out of the way a little. When I was smoking, if I saw someone walking near where I was smoking, I would move further away if I could so they wouldn't smell the smoke as much. Of course, my parents taught me to take into consideration other people.

The laws saying what a business can and can't do regarding smoking are stupid. If a restaurant owner wants to allow smoking in his restaurant, why shouldn't he? If the employees don't like it, find another place to work! If the patrons don't like it, find another place to eat!
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

Hogger129, summed it up pretty good. The town that I live right outside of passed this law two years ago. I know of a few bars that went belly up. Now, people smoke outside the entrances. Let me tell you, that looks really nice.:rolleyes: When I go to a bar, I want to be able to take a load off, drink a cold beer and have a smoke. While living in Denver, they passed this law as well. Two of my old haunts (The Pub on Pearl and Margarita Bay Club) turned from being a place where all walks of life could hang out together and kick it, to being a place taken over by the "young black turtleneck crowd". I'm married with a kid now, so bars don't see much of me. Mostly, because I've converted our excavated garage into my man cave where all sorts of debauchery is allowed and encouraged.:D
  5. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

when I was running the club in Texas, they passed the law....business dropped immediately....and then we were able to get a smoking permit....and business picked up....however, the permit stated that the first few hours on a monday night had to be smoke free.... the place was empty...
    since those days, they got rid of the permits....everybody smokes on the street.... it's just stupid...

every time they pass a law...they put somebody out of business....
    grrrr
  6. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

It's nice to see some first-hand experience regarding this law, though I hate to see that your club lost business because of these laws. It's ridiculous that they think they can/should babysit us and take care of us. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself! And if I screw up, I can handle taking responsibility for it.
  7. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

If you have to smoke, do it outside and down wind or in your home or in your car. I have no sympathy for you smoker's dilemma. I am not alone. Air is what we all breath. If you choose to infringe on my right to breath 'relatively clean air', I don't like it.

They could put another $5 dollar tax on smokes. Horrible death, family devastation, misery and shortened lives are all that await those foolish enough to smoke. I have personal experience with that. You who smoke have no argument what so ever. None. Whaaaaaah!

My next door neighbor's mother will be tits up shortly, the clerk at the local convenience store misses here husband. Died from throat cancer that rampaged throughout his body.

My father inlaw, smoked Lucky Strikes for most of his life. They told him they were safe and natural. Died of heart failure related to the lung cancer he was fighting.

Personally, I don't give a rip whether you smoke or not, Just don't do it around me or in a restaurant I am eating in or a building I am occupying. Further, pay for the associated costs yourself. My insurance and hospital costs are hugely inflated due in part to helping defray the costs associated with you smokers.

Quit your pissing and moaning, man up and realize that you don't have the 'right' to infringe on others 'rights' to breath clean air, have good health and not be poisoned by you.

If you really have to smoke, move to LA or Phoenix where the air is so bad they can't tell if you're smoking anyway.

IMHO.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Or maybe you should move down the block?
    Your rights trump those of others?

I'm a smoker. Yes, it's not good.
    But when did anyone give you the right to make MY territory "off limits'?

If you don't like eating in a smokeing establishment, go somewhere else.

When I get the 'right' to tell you you can't bring your kids into my establishment, you can tell me where I can smoke.

Don't like the smoke? Find another bar.:rolleyes:

Not my problem.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if you join the Elks or VFW you can drink and smoke inside
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Harballer I see your point to an extent. However I believe this thread is more about the government. Think about this for a second. If they keep infringing on our personal rights you seen will be wearing a helmet as you take a shower.
  11. 38 special

38 special New Member

I dont go to bars much. It costs way more for a drink at a bar. I can buy a six pack for what 1 drink costs at some bars. For a few shots i can buy a fifth of whiskey so why go to a bar? Now even if you sit at the bar, the waiter expects a tip. I never got a tip loading 94 lb. bags of cement in someones trunk why do bartendters think they should have a tip.
    As far as smoking, if someone wants to gasp for breath when they are hiking up the mountain or have one of those voice boxes in their throat,or be on an oxygen tube when they get oldr, or die a long and horrible death of cancer that's their business.
    If a bar wants to allow smoking I dont really care. People that dont like smoke wont go to that bar and they will save money.People that dont smoke and want to waste their money at a bar will find a bar that doesnt allow smoking and if there arent any too bad.
  12. obxned

obxned New Member

The nanny state mentality is everywhere. Your personal freedom of choice is vanishing. It does not matter if you choose wisely or not, freedom means YOU get to decide.
  13. ARB

ARB New Member

Freedom, means you get to decide.:cool::):cool::)
  14. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not here, or the Legion Hall. The ban pretty much killed bingo at the VFW.
    I don't smoke anymore but I just don't get it. You can't even have a private "smoking" bar????
  15. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

When I ran the club....the crazy thing was that they found that there are more smokers who frequent the clubs/bars. More people who drink, smoke.

Pretty soon we'll all be walkin around like zombies cuz the Nanny state takes so much pride in telling us what to do.

I like Synyrd's New song.....That Ain't my America....

starts right off with

Sometimes I wanna light up underneath the no-smoking sign Sometimes I wish they'd tell me, how justice got so blind
    I wish they'd just leave me alone 'cause I'm doing alright
    You can take your change on down the road and leave me here with mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVmRtEO18k