snake loads for home defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ozoner, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ozoner

ozoner New Member

I have no experience with snake shot loads, but have been told that the 45 and 357 loads would discourage any self respecting future dead guy, trying to invade my home. Any thoughts, concerns or advice would be greatly appreciated. They would be loaded into my 1911 and Taurus 357 snub revolver.
    Thanks Folks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My .02, I would never put my life on the line to shotshell pistol loads. There's ammo designed for Personal Defense and there's ammo that is not; pistol shotshell falls into the "is not" category IMO. I don't want to discourage anyone if I need to pull the trigger, my intent is to make them the dead guy now, not in the future.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Try this. I tried to shoot a squirrel at 15 feet with a snake load in a .44 Mag. The squirrel just ran off. Once I shot a mouse that was in the house with a load of CCI snake shot from a .22, 8 feet. Killed the mouse, but not one of the pellets penetrated the wall paper! Also snake shoot will not cycle in a semi-auto hand gun, not enough power. You must cycle the slide manually. Personally I would never use snake shot as a SD round. If you got lucky and hit the BG in the eyes, with his eye lids open, you might blind him, but I wouldn't bet on it. Shoot to stop the BG always.
  4. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

carver, I did the exact same thing. I tried to shoot a squirrel with the .357 shotshells. He just took off running. I then shot it into some old plaster board, it didn't even go thru it. My pellet gun does more damage then these shotshells.
    ozoner, I think if you shot a bad guy with these they would just shake it off and shoot you with their real bullets!
  5. reloader4

reloader4 New Member

This is all good advice ozoner. They are extremily close range pest rounds. If the bad guy is more than 10 feet away and you shoot for anything but his eyes, you probably going to get shot or get a good ass whopping. If you think you have reason to shoot someone, shoot to STOP dead.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

There is a difference between using a .410 shotshell in a handgun and using the handgun-caliber shot shells. Those handgun-caliber shotshells are good for a select few purposes (snakes, mice, etc.), but I wouldn't use them for self-defense.

I'd rather count on a good knife than those wimpy .357 shotshell loads.
  7. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    If you do not have the willingness to kill to protect yourself and your family, and lots of folks don't, don't touch a gun. Just plain folks don't get grey areas, legally; if you have good cause to shoot and kill, then get your gun out and shoot. Otherwise, don't touch the gun. Get other forms of defense - stronger doors and locks, a big dog, whatever. Intentional maiming, wounding, and coercion/intimidation are not within the purview of the self defense rule. And that's the best you're going to do with shotshells. The worst is you're going to get yourself and your family killed.
  8. redhart

redhart New Member

i agree with user
  9. ggtgary

ggtgary New Member

Yep, User nailed it!
  10. obxned

obxned New Member

Some snakes need Gold Dots or HSTs.
  11. trapperdick

trapperdick New Member

There is a reason they call them snake loads.........If you're going to shoot somebody shoot to kill. If you're not willing to kill them don't shoot.........
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    1st off i agree that they will not cycle a simi auto.having said that i keep the first round in my 38 snub as snake shot.reasons are as follows.although my guns are hidden if one of my grandkids gets hold of it that gives me a chance to releive them of it without major damage.i also know that sometimes under pressure or duress the gun may be used my others either friend or foe and this also gives me a chance.finally i keep the next four rounds in +p+ golden sabre profile.if i need to rotate cylinder its easily done.i have been in combat b-4 and regretfully taken lives.i do not want to repeat that ever if it can be helped.dont misunderstand i will defend me and mine to the death but once you take a life you cant give it back. old semperfi
  13. cakes

cakes New Member

old semperfi, your safety concerns are legitimate, but have you considered increasing that safety factor by leaving that first cylinder empty? That first round of +p+ golden sabre will be just two trigger pulls away. I would rather see a hammer fall on an empty chamber in the scenarios you described.

Just a thought.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I think user put it quite plan and simple.
    If your going to own a gun for self defence, home defence and protecting your family, get a gun and get to know that gun like the back of your hand.
    When it comes to protecting your family from home invasion, there is no second chance. You have that one time and that one time only to make a decision (life long lasting decision). If your not willing/able to have to make that decision (split second decision) (God forbid that time should come), then do not have a gun that you arnt 110% and then some sure about.
    If a person is going to have a gun in their home for protection, one should run through their mine every possible situation that could possibly happen with a home invasion.
    There are other measures to take rather then a gun. As user stated.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member

Sounds unreliable. Test and see.
    Your own results may vary...