snake slayer??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rosierita, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

If you want snake loads then 38 shot loads work well and you have a carry piece or revolver that you can enjoy shooting.
  2. petesusn

petesusn New Member

My Cobra .38 Derringer had a pretty strong kick to it. Try that in 410/45 Colt? I don't think so. A Snake Charmer in 410 is a much better bet.
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I got a .45LC Derringer once for Cowbooy Shoots... better hold her tight... :eek:

I got rid of it before I shot the ends off some of my fingers... :D
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If you want a snake slayer, any .22 lr loaded with rat shot does an adequate job. If you want a handgun capable of firing .410 shells, then "The Judge" seems to be the obvious choice. The Judge gives you 6 shots instead of just two.
  5. Old John

Old John New Member

I had a Bond Arms Texas Defender in .45Colt/.410, for a few years. They are not like any other derringer. The lock-up is different. They have a rebounding hammer, so they are safer. It had a trigger guard so it was easier to hold onto.
    The trigger itself is a lot easier to pull than any other derringer, due to the lock work. I will buy another one of these days. My DearSon talked me out of it. I've missed it ever since. He offered me good money. But I made an OOPS!
    I liked mine.

I carried it in my back pocket when I was playing bass guitar , in bars, years ago.
    Yeah, they kick a little. No problem.They weigh about 21 oz. IIRC, 'bout the same weight as some j-frame .357's.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have to "ditto" what has already been said. I wouldn't fire one on a bet. I had a .38 Davis derringer and it is the only gun that I ever had that hurt to shoot. I fired it probably 4 times and gave it to my brother, and he sold it after her fired it a couple of times.
  7. Old John

Old John New Member

Re: snake slayer??From Bond Arms!!

That's not an American Derringer. That is a Bond Arms Derringer, also made in Texas. They are much better, IMO, than American derringers.
    The cammed lock-up lever is stronger & easier to use. They have a trigger guard that makes it easier to control. Rebounding hammer makes them safe to carry, too.

I had one for several years, in .45 Colt/.410. It was a Hoot to Shoot!
    Yeah, it had some recoil but not too much to manage. My DSW could handle mine just fine. Hit the Ten at 5 yrds. every time.The Texas Defender or the
    Snake Slayer are great. And you can buy extra barrels to switch out in other
    calibers. I had one in .45acp, too
    I dropped mine in my back pocket when I'd go out at night.
    Check them out at:

http://www.bondarms.com

My dear Son talked me out of mine when I had a weak moment. He wanted it to go with his Taurus Judge.
    I'll get another one one of these days soon.
    Take care,
    Old John
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. Laufer

Laufer New Member

What kind of snake?
    There was a swimming cottonmouth at 30 feet, but had no luck with the SKS rifle.
    He was swimming Towards a grapefruit as the rounds went into the target.

Tried to hit another on a river levee with the Mini 30 from only eight feet, barely missed, and it dashed a few feet into a giant puddle "blitzschnell".

You would not believe how fast they can move!
    If you can get near a snake before it gets away from you and can hit it with a handgun, good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010