The Firearms Forum banner

Snipe Hunting

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ruffitt 
#1 ·
warpig883
(12/28/01 10:29:31 pm)
| Edit | Del All Snipe Hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Cointoss 2 for reminding me about this. I looked it up and am posting it for your pleasure. This comes out of the SD hunting book. Look at the 2nd one down.

Miscellaneous Small Game
OPENS CLOSES
Mourning Dove
Sept 1 Oct 19
Common Snipe
Sept 1 Oct 31
Bobwhite Quail
Nov 1 Nov 30
Sandhill Crane -- SD west of U.S. Hwy 281
Sept 22 Nov 18
Cottontail Rabbit
Sep 1 Feb 28
Tree Squirrel
Sep 1 Feb.28
American Crow
Oct 1 Oct 31
Feb 1 Apr 30
COOT
Same as Duck Season

SD Home | GFP Home | Division of Wildlife Home | Division Parks & Recreation Home |

editd becasue I cant spel fer crop.

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 12/28/01 10:32:30 pm

Different name
V.I.P. Forum Host
(12/29/01 12:27:24 am)
| Edit | Del Re: Snipe Hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHOs selling gunnie Sacks?
Charlie D

Edited by: Different name at: 12/29/01 12:28:02 am

cointoss 2
(12/29/01 11:50:14 am)
Charlie I have plenty of old feed bags and a few snipe calls as well.
cointoss2

Flhunter
V.I.P. Forum Host
(12/29/01 12:03:55 pm)
It's legal to hunt Sandhill Crane? I didn't know that. What are they hunted for? eg. meat, feathers, long legs?

280freak
V.I.P. Member
(12/29/01 12:22:59 pm)
Never crane hunted myself, but lots of people around these parts do. They say that the meat is very good eating and that the birds are a lot of fun to hunt.

We also have snipe hunting (the real kind, NOT the gunnysack, leave the nimrod in the woods variety!) Tasty little bird, often taken by waterfowl hunters as a "bonus" as they (the snipes) are found in marshy areas. I've known people who shot and ate some thinking that they were woodcock. They are similar looking birds, but found in very different types of habitat, not sure if we even actually have any huntable populations of woodcock in N. Dak.

warpig883
(12/29/01 8:22:10 pm)
I have never hunted the Sandhill Crane, only seen them flying through when they migrate. Meat is supposed to be great. Me and my dad have been thinking about going after them one of these years.
We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

280freak
V.I.P. Member
(12/29/01 9:30:46 pm)
Piggy -

A word of advice if you and yer Dad give 'em a try. Approach wounded birds with caution; their wings, beaks, and feet are FORMIDABLE weapons that they can and do use with great ferocity. One of the toughest guys I've ever known came out on the losing end of a struggle with a wounded Sandhill crane. Looked like he hed been in a good old-fashioned bar brawl.

warpig883
(12/29/01 9:34:31 pm)
Got ya. Shoot first and kick bird later.

Hell can't be any worse than a **** bite and I have had a bunch of them.

Flhunter
V.I.P. Forum Host
(12/29/01 10:48:20 pm)
We have them sand hill cranes all over the place around here. They dig up the yard and make you turn the TV up so you can hear it. I have noticed that they travel in two's or three's. Looks just like a family. The kids love to feed em pieces of stale bread. They'll eat right out of your hand.

ysacres
V.I.P. Member
(12/29/01 10:51:58 pm)
Snipe taste like sandhill crane that taste like spotted owl that taste like ground squirrel that taste like sage hen that taste like skunk that taste like snake that taste like soybeans that taste like sh$$$t

LOCK & LOAD-ROCK & ROLL

warpig883
(12/30/01 6:23:20 am)
Sage hen is the only one of those I have tasted and it is good.

I have skinned a skunk or two and even threw a chunk of meat on the woodburner one time. Got is nice and scorched and took a bite. That stuff is bad news

ysacres
V.I.P. Member
(12/30/01 11:36:41 am)
Warpig
I was just rambling on when i through the sage hen and snake into the pot, cuz them are good eat's, But wohhhhhhaaaaa you atem bite O skunk, musta had some horrendous breath, gas ,and indigestion

LOCK & LOAD-ROCK & ROLL

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.