Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Jester, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Jester

Jester New Member

Any input from actual Scout Snipers would be appreciated, since I'm new to firearms and generally don't know my butt from my buttplate.

1. What is the current favored sniper rifle for the United States military?

2. How is the "best" sniper rifle defined, from the perspective of a sniper?

3. What kind of ammunition is used in the favored sniper rifle for the United States military?

4. What is the favored anti-materiel rifle for the United States military?

5. What kind of ammunition is used in the favored anti-material rifle for the United States military?

The reason I'm asking is because I am a freelance writer, and although I write science fiction, I like the weapons in my stories to have some basis in fact. I assume here and there, but I don't want my audience thinking that I just pulled something out of my hat and threw it in. In my current story, a character has arrived with a custom rifle that happens to be better than anything anyone else there has.

Jester
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

right now the marines has went to the m40a3 in 308.
  3. Jester

Jester New Member

[sic]

I'm showing my extreme ignorance here, but like I said, I want to be as accurate as possible. I just did some superficial research very quickly on the M40A3, and it stated that the rounds that are typically used are 7.62 x 51 mm NATO rounds. I then did some scant research on the 7.62 x 51mm NATO round, and it says that the round is not identical to a .308 round, though the two are safely interchanged at times.

Am I correct thus far?

Jester
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'd write him in with an Anzio in 50 BMG.

As far as "best" defined sniper rifle, you'll get a wide variety of anwers there. Kinda like a "what the best flavor of icecream ever made" question.

308 is standard US military ammo, 338 Lapua is a hot one and the 50 BMG has always been the ultimate in long range sniper operations.
  5. woolleyworm

The two are 99.9% the same. Here's a link that can give you the complete rundown fast than I can type it over.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=64621&highlight=308 7.62

in a nutshell, dimensions are the same, NATO spec ammo is lower pressure than commercial 308
  6. Jester

Jester New Member

Will the Anzio sufficiently park a military vehicle permanently?

Jester
  7. woolleyworm

Without a doubt, of course you've got to hit it in its vitals, but a 50BMG could disable a Hummer or Light Armored Vehicle easily with proper shot placement.

What is your idea of "military vehicle", are you thinking along the lines of a tank or personnel carrier?
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

YUP that you are. The thing is there is a boat load of new sniper rifles being brought out but very few are goin US military. There is a variety of ammo ranges also, 30-06 all the way up to the Barrett 50. I personally like the .338 Lapua for reach out a touch me round but there are other better ones out there. Check your post in tomorrow afternoon and I am shure there will be plenty of others here to put in their opinions that are better suited than me on this subject.

I love long distace shooting though I will not be catagorized as fine marksman. My experience is too limited for that. I own a WWII 8mm Mouser that was used as a sniper rifle and I also have a Reminton 700 in .338 win mag. I traded for the Remington recently and this makes my 3rd .338 I have owned.
  9. Jester

Jester New Member

I appreciate the help so far. Perhaps it may help you to help me if I provide a more detailed list of the "candidate" I'm looking for.

1. It must be able to make a person's medulla oblongata disappear at ranges up to a mile.

2. It must also be able to achieve #1 behind "bulletproof" glass, and perhaps even a wall of single-lined housebricks.

3. The ability to destroy parked aircraft and military vehicles (Humvees, trucks, fuel tankers, etc.) is a definite plus.

4. If its scope system already comes with nightvision, that's even better.

5. It must take a variety of ammunition types, from standard to armor-piercing, and even incendiary rounds.

6. It must fit in the back of a pickup truck and have the ability to be disassembled within a matter of three minutes or less. By disassembled, I mean that the scope should detach, the stock should come off, and the barrel should be seperated. If there is currently no weapon that can achieve this, information on how quickly a rifle can be field dressed would be appreciated.

7. A magazine for the rifle is not necessary, but it is not detrimental, either.

Jester
  10. woolleyworm

Anzio makes a 20mm rifle, not sure that it would disassemble in 3 min or less though. Scopes/NVG/other accessories are all customizable and seldom come "standard" on a sniper rifle. When you spend thousands on one rifle, you get to buy the scope that you want on it and spend a few thousand more. Military has standard issue scopes and such, but for competitive long range matches, the elite have every accessory hand picked. You're pretty much free to add in whatever accessories you'd like when it comes to custom sniper rifles, it will be believeable.
  11. woolleyworm

and the 338 Lapua, 50 BMG and 20mm will all destroy with vengence. The 20mm is the only one that i would say that could have a chance with a tank or aircraft sized targets though.
  12. Jester

Jester New Member

The Anzio 50 BMG seems like the weapon to fit the bill. Now I just need to find a scope that fits the parameters of what I'm looking for. Thank you all for your help.

Jester
  13. woolleyworm

Go with a Ziess or Xotic USS

CONQUEST 6.5-20X50 RAPID Z would be a good start ! ;)
  14. Jester

Jester New Member

I like the Conquest from Ziess, so long as it can be fitted with nightvision technology and perhaps a digital-display rangefinder.

Jester
  15. woolleyworm

NVG ranges are limited when it comes to scopes, the NVWS-6 would be a good place to start looking at specs. Range finders are typically a seperate unit, although there are a couple of scopes out there that combine them. I think most NVG scopes are limited to around 1/4 mile; but maybe someone with some NVG experience can help out in this dept. My NVG experience is about the same as my luck with women...... None ! :D
  16. Jester

Jester New Member

I hear you; when it comes to women, they run to me like Europeans to Bubonic Plague (or Americans to swine flu). Your help thus far has been invaluable, so thank you.

Jester
  17. Jester

Jester New Member

I can't find any of the more technical information on the Anzio-50, such as muzzle velocity. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
  18. woolleyworm

Muzzle velocity will depend on a couple of factors, namely the charge/bullet wt combo and the barrel length. There are a few other more minor factors too, ie ambient temp, barrel temp, etc. Any idea what grain bullet you have this guy shooting? You'd be safe to put a 700gr bullet at 3000 fps.

Here's some info on a HEIAP round too, may help a previous post :

A so-called "combined effects" cartridge, the Mk 211 Mod 0 High-Explosive-Incendiary-Armor-Piercing (HEIAP) cartridge contains a .30 caliber tungsten penetrator, zirconium powder, and Composition A explosive. It can be used in any .50 caliber weapon in US inventory with the exception of the M85 machine gun. Cartridge is identified by a green tip with a grey ring.
  19. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I recently saw or read that the military is going to replace the 308 rifles with 300 Win Mag. I don't recall the show or publication but they claimed that it is happening now.