sniper!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rosierita, Mar 17, 2004.

1. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) okay ~ so how long did it take you to see the difference in level one pat parelli??:D details!! i want details! :D i started out last fall w/ it, but having to deal w/ sick grandparents, self-employment & the reg. farm life ~ i quit working on it.:( soon as the days get a little longer tho, i'm gonna make myself jump back into it. right now, i'm reading one of pat's books. the book is actually helping me to understand those booklets better! i bought the 1st 3 levels, so ~ i'll have enough to keep me busy for a while!:D IF i can just get started!:rolleyes: i REALLY think pat's system will help me out ALOT w/ the horses. i have a mare that is definately a full throttleaholic!! when i 1st got her, she'd jump at anything! in fact i havent been on her back but 1 time. :( she's my 1st project..... i have 5 that need work & i had a riding accident when i was younger, so ~ i got issues myself.

but WOOHOO! i found someone to talk horses with!:D
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Well, I started seeing the difference as soon as I started teaching my horses the 7 games. These games teach the horse to accept your leadership not by force, but by using "horse language". The games are carefully designed to establish your dominance just like the dominant horse in the herd would. It's all about controlling movement.

The "friendly game" simply establishes a basic relationship with your horse and gets him/her used to the carrot stick. It didn't take long for me to be able to swing that savvy string all over the place while my horses just relax.

Actually, only one of my horses has been on the Parelli program for a year. That's my (almost) 4-year old Paint mare, Cheyenne. She's still young enough where almost everything spooks her. So the friendly game helped get her used to what I was doing. My 14-year old gelding, Maverick, has only been exposed to it in the last month or so.

The porcupine game, driving game, circle game, yo-yo, and sideways game are all about controlling movement. Once she got the hang of these games, I really started to notice a big difference in the way she pays attention to me and respects me.

I'm just now getting her eased into riding training. She's been broke for a long time, but she's still pretty green under saddle. And now that the weather is getting halfway decent, we'll see how the Parelli training will affect her when I'm riding her. I had hoped to start last weekend, but it rained the whole time. This weekend is when I get serious about it. I need to have her in reasonable shape mentally for this series of clinics we're doing starting in April.

I keep the horses at a local ranch that's owned by the Level 3 Parelli trainer. She has 20 horses there, all of which are trained by Parelli's methods to some degree. I've seen her do the Level 3 stuff, and it is amazing. In Level 3, she uses a 50-ft lead rope for ground games, and the level of control she has is amazing. She can slap the ground with the carrot stick and that horse will run toward her full-tilt, then stop right in front of her and lower its head.

Anyway, I digress. The Level 1 stuff is pretty basic training, but it sets the foundation for everything else. Play the games! Keep playing them until both you and your horse "get it". They really do make a huge difference. And if you have any questions, just let me know. I ain't no expert by any means, but I'll help where I can.

By the way, playing these games will help with your issues too. My wife had major issues when we started this, and they're pretty much all gone now.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Oh, and another thing. There's another book that I highly recommend reading. It's called "Understanding the Ancient Secrets of the Horse's Mind" by Robert Miller. It goes over 10 "secrets" about horses that all natural horsemanship people should know. I would even recommend reading that before starting the Parelli games. It will give you a greater understanding of why the Parelli method works.
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) cool!! i'll have to check that book out! thanks for the info! i'll most likely come in here to pick your brain for info tho!:p the people at pat parelli were telling me after you reached level 3 you could train & give lessons. i assume that would be breaking horses as well....... i think you are REALLY going to enjoy that seminar you're going to!! you'll have to let me know how that goes!!:D i think pat's system is just awesome!;)

those green horses are alot of fun, i had a couple that i got rid of, they were just too much fun! LOL! i didnt have the patience to deal w/ them & i didnt trust them w/ my kids, well ~ specifically 1 of them. i have another green one now, a 2 yr old stud horse. he's pretty calm in nature so far, so hopefully he wont turn out mean!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yeah, I have thoroughly enjoyed his methods. I'm able to accomplish more with the horses than I could otherwise.

There will be some really cool things happening for me and my wife in the near future regarding all this horse stuff, that I'm not at liberty to discuss at the moment. :) But let's just say that we will be spending a lot more time and effort in the horse business if everything goes as planned. More on that later, if it comes to fruition.

So what exactly have you done so far on this? Have you watched the Level 1 video? How far have you read in the book?
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i've watched the video & i'm over halfway w/ the book! i'm REALLY enjoying this book! i know what you mean about plans coming to fruition....... i'm TRYING to convince my dad to start boarding horses. no such luck so far tho!:( LOL! one of these days we'll get into it i'm sure!:D i WILL get thru this program somehow!! :p we've had alot going on w/ the family, one granddad had 3 broken vertebrae in his back ~ he's had 2 procedures, he also has alzheimers.:( my other granddad had a double hernia operation 3 wks ago ~ they are both recovering nicely, but ya know, it's tough trying to make these old men behave! LOL!:D my grandmother (married to my grandfather w/ the back problems) has gotten right selfish in her old age. she's tired of dealing w/ my granddad, which is a long story..... but i'm just short of strangling her, to put it in nice terms!:mad: anyway ~ suffice it to say, i dont really know where the time goes.:confused: good luck in your venture, whatever it is!! :)
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Just wanted to brag a little! Cheyenne was PERFECT this weekend. Well, almost perfect. But I'm very pleased with her. The last year of training her on Parelli methods, coupled with her innate willing attitude, has really paid off. I even got my wife to snap some pictures of me riding her on Saturday. I'm even impressed with how she is holding her head in the "relaxed" position, allowing for full shoulder movement. Most other horses hold their heads too high under saddle and have to be trained to hold their heads low like Cheyenne is naturally doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Beautiful shots, sniper.

She's a beauty and obviously well trained.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Great shots, Sniper. She's a beauty!
  10. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D awesome!! did that halter come w/ your level 1 stuff?? mine is white.... i meant to ask you that the other day.:p i need to get some more halters, but i havent been back to the parelli website.
  11. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yup, the halter came with the Level 1 package. We got the book, videotape, pocket-sized supplemental books, the rope halter and 12' lead rope (shown in the pictures), a natural hackamore rig, carrot stick with saavy string, and a tote bag.

The natural hackamore setup is just like the rope halter, but it has reins already tied to it as well as the lead rope. I don't like using it for riding because the knot is so bulky, and I feel like the horse can feel it swinging underneath even more than what I've done with the lead rope. Also, when using the natural hackamore, I have to tie the lead rope around the horse's neck (when riding bareback) or around the saddle horn. You can even loop it through your belt in such a way that if you fall off it won't drag you. But you'll still have quick access to the lead rope with it through your belt. Pat Parelli shows you all that in the video, as I recall.

I should probably be using the natural hackamore setup when riding, but I don't like having to do a halter change between the ground games and riding. I just loop the end of the lead rope through the bottom loop on the rope halter and tie it back on itself. Voila! Instant reins. They're a little long, but that doesn't bother me. It's actually better to have long reins like that for certain things, like doing lateral flexion or the 9-step backup.

Another reason I use the rope halter when riding is so that my wife can use the natural hackamore when we're riding together, and we don't have to buy any extra equipment. That Parelli stuff is expensive!

My natural hackamore that came with the Level 1 setup is the same red color as the rope halter. But I know several other people who got different colors from Parelli. I'm not sure why they got different colors. Even on Parelli's website for the Level 1 package, the natural hackamore is a different color. Doesn't really matter, though, except for personal taste.

---------edit-------------
    I just re-read that page. The halters and hackamore are available in Red, Blue, Black and Hunter Green colors. So I guess you can choose. My wife is the one who ordered our package, so I guess she is the one who chose red.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  12. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

thanks for the site! both of mine are white. i dont remember choosing a color, but that dont mean much! my memory is BAD at best!:D i think it is really cool that ya'll are into the parelli stuff!:D my kids are driving me crazy, wanting to get started w/ this program. should be interesting! heehee, i'm still waiting on the day to get just a little bit longer & for me to finish that book!;) i just told troy (my hubby) that i want to get a digital camera. hopefully i can post some pics soon!:D