Sniping...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckill1, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Is it just me, or has the mood here changed a bit for the worse?

First of all, let me say this site has ALWAYS been my "sanctuary" if you will. When I get frustrated, angry, disillusioned, depressed, or otherwise out of my normal, happy-go-lucky ways I know I can count on the good people here to cheer me up, reinforce my belief in my fellowman, make me laugh, or at least make me think!:D We are joined not only by our common love of firearms, but I think a certain no-nonsense view of the world & our place in it.

I feel I can post what I want to say, what I need to say, or what I think others may want to hear, & right or wrong, I will get a fair hearing, support, or at least some constructive criticism.

Lately, however, it seems like several people here have developed a bit of a short fuse...now, I know, times are hard. Unemployment, a crummy economy, Congress led(NOT!) by brain-dead monkeys, & Obawhatshisname as President all conspire to make us irritable. But it seems like I have noticed several threads & comments within threads that get downright mean, & seemingly over tiny slights! A misquote here, poor grammar or an ill placed edit there, & we are at each others throats! I have seen a few instances here where the Mods have had to step in to resolve the situation.

Without resulting to "cant we all just get along?", I mean, can't we?:D There are far too many fine individuals here for petty bickering & sniping about posting grammar & small breaches of ettiquite. If someone offends you, call them on it, allow them to apologize, & move on!

Believe it or not, we all need to be on the same side, & divided we cannot stand!

Thanks for letting me vent,

Chris
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Hear, Hear!!!!
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I just try to act like grown ups. If somebody makes a smart remark about a post i just move on. I noticed one night a certain member answered every post negatively, so I assummed maybe he had had a bad day. We have all levels of shooters and collectors, So, i keep that in mind when I see another post with an obvious answer.
  5. topper

topper New Member

Opinions are a wonderful thing. Edited for language
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good "vent".
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, you will always have problems when people come together from all walks of life. We should be adult enough to recognize that EVERYONE has bad days. I will sometimes snip myself. But I can also tell when there is a pattern of it, and I will usually avoid that person or sometimes attempt to befriend them. People are going thru some rough times and you just never know. We all need to do our best and attempt to be the mature one, but we all have our buttons that can cause us to loose control.
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

I've made some smart alleck remarks from time to time. I'm human, and I expect the same from others. I've also gone back after thinking, and apologized. I've noticed it more so with newer members that may have brought along "baggage" from other forums where the sniping is more tolerated (I could be wrong on this).
    I try to pick my battles, something my wife has taught me. It doesn't always work out. I pledge to try harder in the future, as I truely enjoy this place of refuge. :)
  9. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Agreed, however at least two of the 'events' were caused by folk who just seemed to drop by to stir the pot. When a newbie arrives and starts something, I believe we need to close ranks, explain that 'that's not how we do things here' and push back. Not saying that we should resort to 'name-calling' - but let newbie know that if they want to visit our house, they should behave, even when disagreeing 'bout something.
  10. navis128

navis128 New Member

Hey, I don't mind taking some ribbing, or constructive criticism, but when attacked, I counter-attack. 'Can't help it. Watch Discovery? Ever seen a SQUID attack something...yeah, relentless.

Sorry, y'all. I will try very hard to bite my tongue and move on.
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I love to tease, kid, rib, aggravate, poke fun, and jerk yer chain.

But my whole life I followed the creed that

"I rather punch you in the nose, than hurt your feelings",

does that make sense ?
    :confused:
  12. ARB

ARB New Member

In a twisted way, it makes sense. Maybe, that's why I like it!:D
  13. navis128

navis128 New Member

I must be twisted, 'cause it makes sense to me ;)
  14. red14

red14 Active Member

I think you are all twisted, I am the only sane one here. Gosh, I hate to say this, but Mrkirker is totally right. Navis and Al even make sense.
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

You all are wrong and don't know what your talking about. I never seen such pansy comments about thing ever in my life. I'm right and your wrong!

I'm kidding, I figured I'd flame ya just for the heck of it. I agree, its been more and more. Its funny that this was brought up because I was looking at the same issue this weekend. I agree with ARB, its been mainly the newbies doing it. Sometimes it like their first post, they drop buy, type something to prove someone wrong. Call them names but have no rebuttle for their argument and can't stand it if its not the answer that they want. (You Nickel Plated Remington 1911 post followers no what I'm talking about.)
    Not picking on newbies here, many of them contribute good and solid information, have tact in their typing and want to be part of this forum. But some have just been down right rude and like to be know it all's. Thats what yahoo answers is for, don't bring it here. Though I'm not much for argumentation over typing I do feel so inclined to call then out on it more. I know some will defend themselves over being attacked but it just provides more fun for those that jump from forum to forum being complete butt heads. Their minds will never be changed, don't waist good brain cells responding back to garbage.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010