Snub Nose For Home Defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ninjatoth, Jul 3, 2009.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yup. A .45 ACP is a pussycat indoors too.
  2. torre

torre New Member

Target practice target practice. Don't just assume the bad guy is gonn come in and tackle you. What if he is at 15 feet and pointing a gun at you. Your 2" us not gonna be as accurate as you would like with no practice. Hopefully you will never have to use it for defesive purposes so get ou there and enjoy it and practice with it. Then if the day ever does come you will be prepared.
  3. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

If that is all you have then make it work. However, there is a difference between home defense and personal defense. In terms of Home defense, a shotgun will deliver more energy to the intended target than a handgun will.
    I have a shotgun and several handguns available for my protection inside my home.

For personal protection a 2" 357 is a good choice in terms of simplicity, point and shoot. The 2" barrells are perfect for concealment under clothing, but are tough to shoot accurately. If that is your choice and it works for you, then practice alot.

I carry a Glock 27 (40 Cal), 10 rounds with a 3.46" barrell. Sits flatter against my body than a wheel gun and 4 more rounds. I shoot it very accurately out to 15 yards. Good luck with your choice.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am not convinced a snubby is enough. I want to mount two .30 browning machine guns front and rear of the house. As you can imagine, it's not going to be that straight forward.

First, I dont want to be close to the window, too easily seen and shot at, but still require a good field of fire. Second good mounts, T and E gear. Hopefully we will be able to move them from window to window, thus confusing any incoming and varying the area covered as required.

Ammunition. How much is enough? I mean how many rounds might one expend in an engagement lasting a few hours? Keeping in mind re supply may be difficult.

Noise. .30s are loud. We must consider the neighbours so it might be a quieter calibre would be better, more neighbour friendly. After all, and attack is most likely to come at night, and they will be asleep.

Any ideas?
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have been reading and waiting until now the 30 cal. machine guns are almost enough ;):D

Home defense weapons in order of how I can reach them from a dead sleep
    Short barrel 12 gauge pump seven shots / same in 20 on her side
    Four inch S&W 625 45acp with 10 moon clips / 10 shot 22 S&W 317 with 3 inch barrel on her side
    SKS loaded with full chest pack / M1 Carbine three 30 round mags her side
    3 inch S&W 686 loaded and two speed loaders / she is now reloading for me
    16 inch barrel 45 ACP carbine four ten round mags / she is still reloading
    If that isn't enough then we are fight our way to the gun room and starting over with something in a 30-06 auto and a few 44 mags 357 mags in lever rifles and six inch barrels. These are just tools I don't own firearms :eek:;):D:D
  6. Not a bad thought, Tranter, but why choose the .30 Browning MG when you could have Ma Deuce instead? Let's see . . . 150 grain .30 bullet v. 753 grain .50. You do the math. ;):D
  7. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Yes: take that gun back to the person who sold it to you and get your money back. Then take the NRA "Basic Pistol" course. Then buy a gun.

A snubnose .357 can be difficult to control, even for experienced shooters, because it makes too much flash/bang/recoil. A .357 may well go through the bad guy and your neighbor's house, too, btw, if you have to shoot it. I'll bet you bought a cheap one, too, which will add to your difficulty.

For home defense, there's no reason to want concealability. What you need is the ability to move around, comfort firing the gun, and adequate ammunition capacity. If you must have a .357, get a large-frame Smith & Wesson or Ruger with at least a four inch barrel. It's got to be heavy enough to act as the launch vehicle. My view is that a semiauto in 9mm parabellum is the best thing in handguns for indoor use, particularly those which will carry upwards of fifteen rounds. Be sure to get nightsights, a laser grip, or both.

As Tranter & Pistolenschutze observed, being able to hit a specific target is the most important thing. You won't ever have enough control with a snubbie .357 to do that, particularly in stressful situations. You're not going to even have a chance to do a second shot with that thing.

Keep it if you want an emergency backup gun that's easily concealed. Though a small 9mm like the Kahr PM9 is lighter, holds more cartridges, and is more easily concealed.

And by the way, I'm a revolver guy, myself. But my favorite carry piece is a 4" heavy barrel S&W 64 M&P "Combat Masterpiece" in .38.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  8. user

user Active Member

You're moving your hand after having pulled the trigger. The shock wave from the recoil does hit your hand before the bullet's all the way out the barrel; that's basically traveling at the speed of sound through the gun, while the bullet's traveling at twelve hundred feet per second or less. That's why you have a control problem. You have to keep your hand still until the bullet's cleared the end of the barrel. Just like taking pictures, you have to keep still until the shutter's done its thing, or you get fuzzy images. Same principle: Follow through after having pulled the trigger.
  9. user

user Active Member

True, but like Frank Zappa said in "200 Motels": "Anything over a mouthfull is wasted!" Both will crush human bone at fifty yards. Normal defensive range is a lot closer than that. Do you need to do more than crush human bone? Are you planning to shoot through sheet steel?
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The speed of sound is about 1000 feet per second.
  11. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I use my little J-frame for answering doors. I always keep it right here at the computer, loaded with PMC Starfires. I like the aspect that I can slip it into my jeans pocket. Its probably the greatest combination of firepower/reliability/concealment you can get. Learn to shoot one insticntively, and a BG won't have a chance.
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

PH, you made me think about something I've wanted to bring up. So, we all seem to like the idea of a nice high-profile gun (shotgun, for example) that we grab from beside the bed when the door gets knocked in at night.
    What about the times when someone comes knocking in the daytime? It's usually UPS or a salesperson, but not always. So, something handy and concealable needs to be there. A "door gun." It can't be visible because you'll scare away innocents and might even get arrested.
    Suggestions? So far I'm with Powderhorn on this, I got a nice little auto handy. It stays hidden but near to hand.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  13. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

A DOOR GUN: In my hand and then on the wall - out of sight, but always on hand.

Hide-a-Gun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or something a little more extravagant:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

That picture frame is JUST EXACTLY what I want!
    I'll put a couple of pix of my mother in law in it, nobody will want to look at it twice! But I'll still think "get the gun" when I see it!
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Neighbours Pistol? A .50 is going to wake the whole neighbourhood if used at night. Hardly the act of a considerate person. Now if we could attach a suppressor.....
  16. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Ninja;
    If that snubby is what you have currently then as already posted, practice and then practice some more and that includes live fire and dry fire. Falling down, getting up, crawling, moving, dark, backlight, barricade, rt hand, lt hand, both hands with and without sights. Measure, mentally or physically, the dimensions of your home and practice these things as a response or reactionary use at those distances. Most homes will be in the 20 foot range for any room and remember the bad guy is somehow inside with you so those distances will be shorter right down to fighting him off of you and shooting at the same time. But this is providing you have F...ke.. up so bad a bad guy has gained entrance in the first place. Oh, BTW, if you are married or have a live in friend, he/she should be just as good with said firearm as you are and if not, then only 1/2 of your fighting force is available and 1/2 remains a liability.

My first suggestion is to get your books out and start again to work on your "defense" of your home. No one, under any circumstances should be able to get into your home or apartment without your knowledge. It is unthinkable in this day and age. And if so or you suspect someone has gained entry, what do you do next? I for one will NOT, EVER go looking for the BG even on my own home. If you do, and they are armed, you will at least be seriously injured or killed, period.
    Right now, stop thinking this movie BS, what you are asking about your .357 is real life or death. You are asking for advice about the caliber which IMHO is OK, but it is the very last thing on the agenda having to do with staying safe or alive and uninjured. The last thing.
    Just a thought but try reading some of Maas Ayoob on self defense. I do not like him personally, but few men in our lifetime including the late Jeff Cooper have done more to help us understand and prepare us to defend ourselves.
    One of my major and ongoing works for defense for my wife and I (our children are gone) as well as for all of my students is to "harden our perimeter".
    If you gain access to my house, I have failed in my first line of defense and from that time on, everything is at best a 50/50 crap shoot. Especially if the bad guy is armed and prepared to use his gun to gain his objective.
    So from a man who has been shot and who has used a firearm to save his own life, and for what it is worth, do everything in your power and ability to prevent ever having to shoot or to be shot at and that my friend means running very fast the other way or locking myself and my wife inside our bedroom while awaiting the police to come and search the house if some how the BG gains entry or I suspect he has. Both of us are armed, we have our places in the room our phone(s) and lights and can direct the officers to the key to entry and safely wait for the all clear.
    If the shooting starts, bullets are indiscriminate, they have no agenda and cannot recognize the good or the bad. Avoid that at all cost and do everything that you can possibly do to prevent anyone from getting inside your home in the first place.
    If you plan your defenses properly, you will always be able to enjoy all of your guns to practice or plink and never have to point one in anger or terror.

UF
    www.caswells.com
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Is it possible that while you are in "practice mode" that you are anticipating the recoil of the .357 and therefore flinching before the trigger if fully pulled.