Snub Nose For Home Defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ninjatoth, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I use my little J-frame for answering doors. I always keep it right here at the computer, loaded with PMC Starfires. I like the aspect that I can slip it into my jeans pocket. Its probably the greatest combination of firepower/reliability/concealment you can get. Learn to shoot one insticntively, and a BG won't have a chance.
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

PH, you made me think about something I've wanted to bring up. So, we all seem to like the idea of a nice high-profile gun (shotgun, for example) that we grab from beside the bed when the door gets knocked in at night.
    What about the times when someone comes knocking in the daytime? It's usually UPS or a salesperson, but not always. So, something handy and concealable needs to be there. A "door gun." It can't be visible because you'll scare away innocents and might even get arrested.
    Suggestions? So far I'm with Powderhorn on this, I got a nice little auto handy. It stays hidden but near to hand.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  3. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

A DOOR GUN: In my hand and then on the wall - out of sight, but always on hand.

Hide-a-Gun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or something a little more extravagant:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

That picture frame is JUST EXACTLY what I want!
    I'll put a couple of pix of my mother in law in it, nobody will want to look at it twice! But I'll still think "get the gun" when I see it!
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Neighbours Pistol? A .50 is going to wake the whole neighbourhood if used at night. Hardly the act of a considerate person. Now if we could attach a suppressor.....
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Ninja;
    If that snubby is what you have currently then as already posted, practice and then practice some more and that includes live fire and dry fire. Falling down, getting up, crawling, moving, dark, backlight, barricade, rt hand, lt hand, both hands with and without sights. Measure, mentally or physically, the dimensions of your home and practice these things as a response or reactionary use at those distances. Most homes will be in the 20 foot range for any room and remember the bad guy is somehow inside with you so those distances will be shorter right down to fighting him off of you and shooting at the same time. But this is providing you have F...ke.. up so bad a bad guy has gained entrance in the first place. Oh, BTW, if you are married or have a live in friend, he/she should be just as good with said firearm as you are and if not, then only 1/2 of your fighting force is available and 1/2 remains a liability.

My first suggestion is to get your books out and start again to work on your "defense" of your home. No one, under any circumstances should be able to get into your home or apartment without your knowledge. It is unthinkable in this day and age. And if so or you suspect someone has gained entry, what do you do next? I for one will NOT, EVER go looking for the BG even on my own home. If you do, and they are armed, you will at least be seriously injured or killed, period.
    Right now, stop thinking this movie BS, what you are asking about your .357 is real life or death. You are asking for advice about the caliber which IMHO is OK, but it is the very last thing on the agenda having to do with staying safe or alive and uninjured. The last thing.
    Just a thought but try reading some of Maas Ayoob on self defense. I do not like him personally, but few men in our lifetime including the late Jeff Cooper have done more to help us understand and prepare us to defend ourselves.
    One of my major and ongoing works for defense for my wife and I (our children are gone) as well as for all of my students is to "harden our perimeter".
    If you gain access to my house, I have failed in my first line of defense and from that time on, everything is at best a 50/50 crap shoot. Especially if the bad guy is armed and prepared to use his gun to gain his objective.
    So from a man who has been shot and who has used a firearm to save his own life, and for what it is worth, do everything in your power and ability to prevent ever having to shoot or to be shot at and that my friend means running very fast the other way or locking myself and my wife inside our bedroom while awaiting the police to come and search the house if some how the BG gains entry or I suspect he has. Both of us are armed, we have our places in the room our phone(s) and lights and can direct the officers to the key to entry and safely wait for the all clear.
    If the shooting starts, bullets are indiscriminate, they have no agenda and cannot recognize the good or the bad. Avoid that at all cost and do everything that you can possibly do to prevent anyone from getting inside your home in the first place.
    If you plan your defenses properly, you will always be able to enjoy all of your guns to practice or plink and never have to point one in anger or terror.

UF
    www.caswells.com
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Is it possible that while you are in "practice mode" that you are anticipating the recoil of the .357 and therefore flinching before the trigger if fully pulled.