Snub nose revolvers 38 special +p .

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BulletArc47, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Georgia
    When it comes to revolvers; I'm about as knowledgeable as a monkey with a wrench.

So, do any of you know of good models? It would be as back-up CCW. I would probably carry it on my boot, or leg; somewhere in that area.

I know some will recommend a 357 snubbie, but I already know I don't want that; just one in 38 special that is plus p rated.

2. savage170

savage170 Member

May 3, 2011
    FL
    Smith and Wesson 315 NG

3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I like both the Ruger LCR and the S&W 638. I'd lean to the 638 because it can still be fired SA.

4. aa1911

aa1911 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    S&W 642 is my favorite and the new Ruger LCR would be my first choices for hammerless; if hammer didn't matter, it would be an SP101 all day long.

5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

May 27, 2011
    Smith, Ruger, or old Colt Detective Special model. My personal favorite is an older S&W M36. I'd shy away from lightweights, with all steel recoil is dampened a bit and the snubbies aren't that heavy to start with. Depending on carry method, you might take a hard look at the hammerless versions.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Mar 19, 2009
    NC
    Ruger LCR would be my first choice. There are many good ones on the market.

7. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Wyoming
    I bought a 642 for my wife--- she won't carry it until she goes through a 'real' course and obtains her CCW permit (not required in this state)--- but she shoots it well, and I carry it instead of my G27 or G22--- a lot lighter and just as accurate.

great little gun for $400

8. i have carried a taurus model 85 for many years with no problems,it is plus p rated.they now make some ultra lites in 38 special and thats what i would buy if my model 85 ever let me down. old semperfi

9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    anytown, OHIO
    That's what I'd like to get my wife but there are a lot of small revolvers out there, Ruger, Taurus.

10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    anytown, OHIO
    Also what's the real differences between the S&W 642 and 442?

Color? Both $449 MSRP (+/-)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Nov 23, 2011
    South Texas
    Ruger and colt. .357 and .44 mag . dont know if colt makes a .44 mag. id say those 2 for sure. s&w is good too

12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I carry my wifes 642,when she can't, loaded with +p's..Remington Golden Sabers...very large hollow point.

13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Spend as much money as you want, or as little as you want. I can not think of a single modern .38 pistol that will not shoot +P ammo. Some might not do well in the long run with a steady diet of hot rounds, but they will all shoot the +P for SD. And please, find another place to carry your BUG. The ankle/boot carry is the worst way to carry. It's a back up gun! That means you should be able to get to it very quickly!

14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I've been pocket carrying a S&W 342. It's a Titanium 38+P, 5-shot, hammerless revolver. A little pricier than the 642 but lighter than any other snub nose. It's actually as light or lighter than my Kel-Tec P3AT.

15. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Dec 8, 2012
    Evansville, Indiana
    My back up is a Charter Arms Undercover. +P ammo. Light, dependable, easy to conceal. And it was affordable.