Snubby-.38 spl.+P or .357 for SD?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Python, Apr 20, 2011.

1. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

In my 3 in. SP101 use the 357 short barrel from Speer--135 gr, maybe the same bullet they use in the 38 +p??
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Can't you shoot your favorite 38 sp or 38 +P SD round in a .357? I thought the .357 could also shoot any .38 rounds as well...
  3. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

Def the .38. The .357 coming out a 2" bbl does not mature in it's true velocity...u need at least 4" bbl to really have a 158gr sizzle out. I would NEVER feel under gunned with my trusty snubbie. The following is great SD ammo:
    Hornady FTX 110gr (bout 960fps)
    Corbon JHP 110gr +p (bout 1050 fps) *make sure pistol is +p rated...
    Hope this helps
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yes, you are correct, you can shoot .38's in a .357. But if you carry the .357 loaded with .38's you will be carring extra weight that will do you no good unless you have to hit the BG with the gun! The .357's are heavier than a .38 due to more steel in them to handle the presures.
  5. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Unless you are carrying the S&W 360PD Scandium frame and Titanium cylinder. I Cant wait for mine to come in. I'm sure I will still be shooting a .38 over the .357 though.
  6. happyskeeter

happyskeeter New Member

Let me ask this question- if you were being attacked by a Great Dane or Mastiff would you rather have a 38sp or 357? Sure there are stories of Polar bears being taken out with 22 magnums but they had perfect shot placement.
    We carry firearms because we do not know how or who will attack us. I have seen a BIG biker type shot with .38SP+P and the bullets stopped before an organs were reached. The body fat of that beer belly acted like a bullet proof vest and he acted like nothing happened. Most people consider the 38SP even in +P rating to be the starting point of what is just barely acceptable for self defense, ESPECIALLY out of a 2" barrel.
    One needs to respect the knowledge and opinion of the one you are asking for information from. Many people think a 32 or 380 is enough gun and it is better than a sharp stick but you never know what you will run into out there. It is a gamble and I would rather have the odds in my favor. I would go with the 357. If you REALLY need it you will NOT notice any recoil and adrenaline will get you back on target fast enough. As to your choice the 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollow point (all lead with gas check as they can be driven faster than jacketed bullets of the same weight) in 357 would be a fine choice. That is also the most effective round for the 38SP in many NYPD studies.
  7. n4aof

n4aof New Member

That "extra weight" also absorbs a lot of recoil, helping to get the gun back on target more quickly
  8. happyskeeter

happyskeeter New Member

I may be wrong but I believe the S&w 340 does not weigh more than the SW342 (38 sp only). When you get to the Ruger snubby the 357 weighs about 4 ounces more than the 38sp only.
  9. rustyfugger

rustyfugger New Member

.38 + P is all I need. I shot a pig in the head w/ 158g JSP @ almost PBR from Colt Trooper w/ 6" Barrel. Clean through it. Too much for interior defence if concerned about over penitration the noise of the .357 will hurt in closed quarters. I carry snubby all day, everyday. It's heavy enough, I can't see carrying the extra weight.
  10. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The best gun is what ever you have when you need it.:D
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have killed hogs in pens with 22 shorts with a single shot every time.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Is that anything like shooting fish in a barrel?

I always carry my cheap little Rossi 357 loaded with 158 grn Hornady XTP.