The Firearms Forum banner

Snubby-.38 spl.+P or .357 for SD?

8K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  flintlock 
#1 ·
I would like to know which round would be most effective for personal defense from a 2" snubby between the Gold Dot .38 spl. 135gr. +P "short barrel" round and a 158gr..357 round. I'm aware that shot placement is most important as well as the ability to recover from muzzle flip & recoil to stay on target. Because your life depends on it, which round would you choose, and why? To be specific as to my choice of .357 magnum here, it is the Blazer aluminum round. I chose the Blazer round because it seems to be loaded to less pressure making it "easy to control" when fired from my M60 S&W. Thanks.

#27 ·
Yes, you are correct, you can shoot .38's in a .357. But if you carry the .357 loaded with .38's you will be carring extra weight that will do you no good unless you have to hit the BG with the gun! The .357's are heavier than a .38 due to more steel in them to handle the presures.
That "extra weight" also absorbs a lot of recoil, helping to get the gun back on target more quickly

#29 ·
.38 + P is all I need. I shot a pig in the head w/ 158g JSP @ almost PBR from Colt Trooper w/ 6" Barrel. Clean through it. Too much for interior defence if concerned about over penitration the noise of the .357 will hurt in closed quarters. I carry snubby all day, everyday. It's heavy enough, I can't see carrying the extra weight.

#31 ·
I have killed hogs in pens with 22 shorts with a single shot every time.

#33 · (Edited)
I own and regularly shoot a Ruger SP 101 2" 357. This little revolver shoots 357s very well, very easy on the hands and recovery for a second shot is fast. That being said I shoot 38 +Ps or standard pressure 38 special defensive loads in summer I save 357 for winter carry so that penetration through heavy clothing is guaranteed. If you want to use +P loads use them they work but don't let anyone tell you that 357's don't perform from a 2" barrel because they do. Also thos ewho say the muzzle flash in the daytime will blind you? Not true I've been shooting 357's from my Ruger for a long time (double taps) and was never once blinded. Much of what is written here is completely subjective or second hand or opinion. As far as expansion goes use Hornady critical defense you'll get good expansion through heavy clothing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.