The Firearms Forum banner

snubnose wheelguns (need advice)

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dirtypacman 
#1 ·
Hello: its been a while since I posted on this forum, but I'm interested in purchasing a snubnose revolver. I'm a federal police officer, and while I can't carry it as a backup, I'd like to purchase one for concealed carry. I already own a glock & wanted something different (i.e. small wheelgun). Based on my initial research, I was thinking of one of the following:

S&W 432 PD .32 magnum
S&W M360 38SP
S&W 637 38+P
S&W 640

I am fairly ignorant to a lot of the nuances of revolvers & availability of different types of ammunition. I have heard that .32 magnum isn't a common round & that the S&W 432 is discontinued, which may take that from the running. How about the others? Thanks so much!

G
#2 ·
I would go 640 because of the enclosed hammer. Its personal, but as a back up I would value the enclosed hammer. Less to tangle in my pocket. I wouldn't let the DA only bother me because it would be for short range only. Long ago I carried what I think was a 42. Excellent as a pocket gun.

#3 ·
sound advice the 640 is a great choice. stay away from the 32 magnum why choose a 32 when on the same frame you can have a 38 or 357 magnum also as good as the light weight alloy guns feel they do not absorb the recoil as well as a heavier gun would. while you listed all smith and wesson models ( i'll save my anti-smith rant for another thread) there are other options the ruger sp101 or check out a taurus lots of models to choose from and every bit as good as a smith and wesson in my opinion

#4 ·
Well what is better a .357 or a .38? Ive heard that a .38 +P has the same power as a standard .357 coming out of a 2" barrel. Is this true?

#6 ·
Well what is better a .357 or a .38? Ive heard that a .38 +P has the same power as a standard .357 coming out of a 2" barrel. Is this true?
No! The .357 fired from a 2" barrel will still outrun the .38+P. Probably in the neighborhood of around 300 - 400fps.

#7 ·
But for Jack Ruby shooting, the .38 spcl +P is more than enough to get the job done. :D

#9 ·
The 442 is a great gun, though I don't have any extensive personal experience with it.

I own a 637 Airweight, great gun. Had the choice of this, the 642 with an enclosed hammer, or the 638 (?) with a shrouded hammer. I went with the 637 because I like the looks of a traditional revolver. Plus, the super light and precise trigger pull in SA is great at the range!

If you're carrying it in a pocket, one of the enclosed hammer versions might be the way to go. I usually carry mine in a holster and snags don't really seem to be an issue.

Plus, they don't look half bad either.

Thanks for helping to keep our country safe. :)

#10 ·
640! It's reduced 'tangle-factor' would really carry weight in an emergency situation. However, since you're a 'fed', you might want to consider asking some of your fellows for their insight. After all, their comments are probably from a point of reference that is similar to yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.