1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

snubnose wheelguns (need advice)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lecoqfou, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lecoqfou

lecoqfou New Member

Hello: its been a while since I posted on this forum, but I'm interested in purchasing a snubnose revolver. I'm a federal police officer, and while I can't carry it as a backup, I'd like to purchase one for concealed carry. I already own a glock & wanted something different (i.e. small wheelgun). Based on my initial research, I was thinking of one of the following:

S&W 432 PD .32 magnum
    S&W M360 38SP
    S&W 637 38+P
    S&W 640

I am fairly ignorant to a lot of the nuances of revolvers & availability of different types of ammunition. I have heard that .32 magnum isn't a common round & that the S&W 432 is discontinued, which may take that from the running. How about the others? Thanks so much!
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I would go 640 because of the enclosed hammer. Its personal, but as a back up I would value the enclosed hammer. Less to tangle in my pocket. I wouldn't let the DA only bother me because it would be for short range only. Long ago I carried what I think was a 42. Excellent as a pocket gun.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

sound advice the 640 is a great choice. stay away from the 32 magnum why choose a 32 when on the same frame you can have a 38 or 357 magnum also as good as the light weight alloy guns feel they do not absorb the recoil as well as a heavier gun would. while you listed all smith and wesson models ( i'll save my anti-smith rant for another thread) there are other options the ruger sp101 or check out a taurus lots of models to choose from and every bit as good as a smith and wesson in my opinion
  4. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

Well what is better a .357 or a .38? Ive heard that a .38 +P has the same power as a standard .357 coming out of a 2" barrel. Is this true?
  5. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Even though the 640 is DA only, it is easy to stage. Staging is worse than useless at close range but if you want/need to take a longer shot it's nice to know if the cylinders break evenly or not.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    No! The .357 fired from a 2" barrel will still outrun the .38+P. Probably in the neighborhood of around 300 - 400fps.
  7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

But for Jack Ruby shooting, the .38 spcl +P is more than enough to get the job done. :D
  8. lecoqfou

lecoqfou New Member

How about the S&W 442? I like the lightweight frame, blued finish & especially the price. Seems to be a decent gun for the money. Has anyone fired one of these or had experience with the 442? By the way, thanks so much for all the help so far!
  9. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

The 442 is a great gun, though I don't have any extensive personal experience with it.

I own a 637 Airweight, great gun. Had the choice of this, the 642 with an enclosed hammer, or the 638 (?) with a shrouded hammer. I went with the 637 because I like the looks of a traditional revolver. Plus, the super light and precise trigger pull in SA is great at the range!

If you're carrying it in a pocket, one of the enclosed hammer versions might be the way to go. I usually carry mine in a holster and snags don't really seem to be an issue.

Plus, they don't look half bad either.

[​IMG]

Thanks for helping to keep our country safe. :)
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

640! It's reduced 'tangle-factor' would really carry weight in an emergency situation. However, since you're a 'fed', you might want to consider asking some of your fellows for their insight. After all, their comments are probably from a point of reference that is similar to yours.
  11. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

Hey LeSabreUltra. I love your hat holster. What hold the gun in place? Velcro?
  12. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Nope, it was just resting in there. ;) It doesn't take much to hold up the Airweights.

EDIT: Oh, I don't actually carry it that way...lol. That would be an interesting idea though.

It gets carried in this:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  13. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I carry the #642 with Crimson Trace laser grip. This is a perfect pocket carry, everyday, anytime. I have gotten to be a dam good shot with it too so for a smaller frame like myself @ 160pounds its perfect.