so, how to become a C3?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/24/02 9:36:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All so, how to become a C3?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    figured it was worth it's own thread -

So, how does one become a Class 3 holder?

Is a Class 3 license certifying the person+the gun? Or simply the person themselves? (once I have it, I'm clear to buy authorized pieces?)

What is the routine, once you have one?

www.vectorarms.com/own.html

www.tecinfo.net/~jayhawk/fullauto.html

www.tecinfo.com/~jayhawk/bardwell.html

www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/noframe.html

And absolutely nothing on 'NFA', 'National Firearms Act', or 'Class 3' on www.nra.org - WTFO?

And our friends at the ATF - www.atf.treas.gov/
    their firearms-related Forms page - www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5...m#firearms

ah, and right from the horse's/ - whups, BATF's mouth, www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fir.../qanda.htm

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(M2) How can an individual legally acquire NFA firearms?

Basically, there are two ways that an individual (who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from receiving or possessing firearms) may legally acquire NFA firearms:

(1) By lawful transfer of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee. Obtain any forms needed from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226.

(2) By obtaining prior approvals to make NFA firearms.

[27 CFR 179.84-179.87 and 179.62-179.67]

hmm, not very clear.

Back to digging through their helpful site.

Anyone care to make it (the search for legal procedures) easier?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 10:27:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: so, how to become a C3?
    You do not have to be a C3 to own a C3 firearm. You mearly find the firearm you like (provided your state is C3 friendly) and do the paperwork and pay your transfer fee`s and NFA tax of $200.00. This is for life (one time payment) and only for this firearm, if you move.....you must make contact with BATF and advise them....new papers will be sent to you. DON`T MOVE FIRST!

If you are planning on being a C3 dealer, you fill out the C1 form.....then the C3 add on form. $200.00 for three years (C1) and $500.00(?) (small dealer) NFA dealer. Better have deep pockets though, it can take up to six months for each transfer. The average price of a C3 firearm is $5800.00....can you sit on 5-10 of these for six months??? Called non-working capital....most are in the $8500.00 plus class.

It can tie up some big money fast, cause the firearm is off the market until the paperwork is returned (approved or not). This is a simple brief overview, but thats the jist of it. Regards LTS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 10:47:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: so, how to become a C3?
    That's $500 per year for the C3 Occupational Tax Stamp, and you better get your timing right. June 1-June 1. If you get your stamp in February, you have to get ANOTHER one in June...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

CrackerDave
    (2/25/02 5:26:54 pm)
    Which states are considered c-3 friendly?
    and while im here... what are restrictions on buying a short barreled rifle and which states allow owning one?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 5:37:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Well, most of the states that have stupid regular-gun laws have even more stupid NFA laws, so California would top the list.

Short barrelled rifles are transferable on ATF Form 4 and have a $200 transfer tax.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/25/02 5:48:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Short barreled shotguns carry a $5.00 tax fee.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 6:03:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Not necessarily so. In order to have a $5 transfer tax, the gun must be classified as 'AOW' (Any Other Weapon). In order to qualify as an AOW, the gun MUST have a pistol grip only and have been manufactured from a new receiver or from a shotgun that originally had a pistol grip only. A short-barrelled shotgun with a buttstock, or manufactured from a shotgun that originally had a buttstock, is not an AOW and is subject to a $200 transfer tax.

For example:
    'Witness Protection' shotguns made from new receivers bought from Mossberg, AOW, $5

Benelli M1 'Entry' 14" barrel with buttstock, $200
    www.apaxenterprises.com

CrackerDave
    (2/26/02 12:10:16 am)
    thanks for all the info. but i have one more for everybody.

I am from Illinois and have been eye-balling a certian gun lately.it classifies as an short barreled rifle and i am curious if there are any laws here prohibiting the ownership of this firearm. if its just a $200 trasnfer tax, doesnt sound like to big of a hassle.

is there a website with all this information that a fella could look over and have a better understanding of this? thanks guys

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 2:09:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Dont know about your state laws, but here is the federal rundown.

First, the gun must already be registered (from time of manufacture) as a short-barrelled rifle. If not, it cannot be retroactively registered and is forever contraband.

In order to transfer the firearm legally, you have to complete ATF Form 4, attach 2x2 pictures of yourself to each copy, obtain your fingerprints on an FBI DD258 (#?) fingerprint card, get the chief law enforcement officer or designee of the jurisdiction you reside in to sign a statement that there is nothing prohibiting you from owning the firearm, and send all that off to ATF with the $200 transfer tax.

Then wait a few months while ATF thinks about it. If approved, you get a copy of the form back with a cancelled tax stamp attached - now you can buy that firearm. A copy of the form/stamp needs to be kept with the fifearm at all times. If you decide to move, or transport the gun out of state, you must get ATF approval. The list goes on.

Check out ATF's FAQ page on their website. BATF

Are you SURE it's a SBR? What kind of rifle is it? Some have been removed from NFA as antiques, while others have been classified as C&R under NFA...
    www.apaxenterprises.com

CrackerDave
    (2/26/02 5:09:31 pm)
    Dr.
    the rifle is a Daewoo Max1 with a 12 inch barrel and a wire stock.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/26/02 5:19:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

If it's a DR-1 then you have no problem!

MasterSergeantA
    (2/28/02 6:52:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Illinois
    Unless they6 have changed the law, I don't believe Illinois allows private ownership of ANY Class III firearms.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/28/02 11:42:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Illinois
    Welcome Aboard MasterSergeantA!

Good to have you with us, we need more
    Machinegun folks on this site!

Ballistic
    (12/17/02 8:36:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del I FOOKIN HATE CALIFORNIA!
    Fook cali and their laws im moving!!

whats a firearm friendly state? also i am planing to own Machine guns, a MP5SD3, a mac-11, and other lovely arms!!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/17/02 10:29:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I FOOKIN HATE CALIFORNIA!
    Texas.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/17/02 6:35:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I FOOKIN HATE CALIFORNIA!
    Nah, we`re full down here...........we should have captured Mexico when we had the chance, then we`d have roon for strays.........

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/17/02 7:21:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: I FOOKIN HATE CALIFORNIA!
    I believe there are 37-states that are class-3, in VT we
    have no gun restrictions period, other than what federal
    laws that are in effect.

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 3:31:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del weapons...
    i want to own the most outragous weapons, if i could afford it i would have a Browning M2, but the damn thing costs for rounds!

so which state is best for a gun enthuist like myself?