So how's my shooting?/ Ruger Mark III

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gendoikari87, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

Well I went to the range yesterday and put a few hundred round through my Ruger mark III 22/45, and just wanted to see what you guys though of these groups all are refrenced in scale to a coke cap

All targets about 20- 30 feet away

First one is sighting in with federal ammunition
    [​IMG]

This one is a small group I made in the lower corner after sighting in
    [​IMG]

These two are the CCI mini mag groups I made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the last is back to federal, the very last one was just me having fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I would say that is going to be one dead bad guy. Did the federal ammo group better than some others or the CCI. Good shooting and looks like a good time.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Looks like pretty good shoot'n to me. And "just having fun" is what it is all about. :cool:
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Nice!

Like the ragged holes.:cool:
  5. gendoikari87

Ironically if you looked at it statistically the CCI did much worse shot for shot, but that's only because the most fun I had that day was firing off 20 rounds in less than 15 seconds, and only hitting twice. Yeah you can shoot the 22/45 as fast as you want.

other than that CCI did much better, as the CCI didn't have rounds going off to the side, I think the federal was old though. It was pretty interesting to see a bullet so warped that when it came out it shot to the side and was glowing red like a tracer.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Next time try it with your eyes open and see if you can get some of those bullets a little closer to each other....:D
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

honestly it's average shooting. i dont want to discourage you, or try to down you. but i remember when i first started out, or even now sometimes. people will say im doing a great job even when it sucks. i guess their giving an A for effort.

i think to be honest with you is the best policy. not to say you're not doing well, but to say you can do a whole lot better.

you said 20-30 feet? thats not very far. i am assuming you was shooting off hand (standing without rest). there is a lot that can be done to improve your groups just by taking the empty gun and practicing your sight alignment, grip, stance, and trigger control at home.

if you dont do it already, take the unloaded gun, stand as you would on the range and act as if you're going to shoot it. hold the gun the same each time, breath easy, squeeze the trigger while concentrating on holding the sights aligned on a speck on the wall, and pull the trigger. practicing your stance and grip, making sure they are the same each time and practicing trigger control will help you a bunch. do it every single day if you can, even if for only 3 minutes.

most people cant hit the broad side of a barn. im not a great shot. but i am far better then most people at any distance.

i think that if you dont already have a proper grip and decent stance that learning a new technique will help you out tremendously. and make sure you dont press the trigger with the joint of your finger. you should press it with the center of the pad of your finger, halfway between the tip and the joint.

last time i shot my single six on paper. i was sighting it in after knocking the rear sight off. 25 yards i did about a 2" group off hand. to do a 1" group at that distance. could be that the cheap federal ammo isnt consistent. could be i was just having an off day.

theres nothing wrong with shooting fast. shooting is a lot of fun and it looks like you're having your share. i dont want to discourage you and ive tried to choose my words carefully. i want to encourage you to get better.

if you was handy i would suggest we go shooting together. mostly cause i need all the shooting buddies i can get. :)
  8. henry77

henry77 New Member

My Mark III 22/45 surprises me as to how well it will shoot. Hard to beat.
  9. johnlives4christ

i had a 22/45 mark II for a few years and loved it. dunno why i got dumb and swapped it to a friend.
  10. gendoikari87

This is why i look forward to your posts, you're completely honest and VERY helpful. As to handy I live in GA, but I don't know of any really good ranges around. the one I normally go to is about an hour away in hinesville. All the others are sky high.

Probably just to be a good friend.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  11. johnlives4christ

well i did end up buying the 22/45 back and then selling it back for some reason once before.

if you ever come up to kentucky swing by and i'll show you my range :)
  12. mxracer07

mxracer07 New Member

looks like its doing what its made to do good report
  13. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

gendoikari87, that is some good shooting and it's not all the equipment or ammo. You can take pride in those targets.

I agree with johnlives4christ. Honesty is better sometimes than a pat on the back. You will never learn anything from a pat on the back. He's been completely honest with you and given you a lot of great pointers. I'm here just to give you the pat on the back. Keep up the good work and have fun. Larry
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011