So I went to this gun auction

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kingcuke, Oct 13, 2010.

1. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

Which is the last place I should of went given my current fiscal status, but then this pistol came up and I ended up giving $200 plus a $10 transfer fee which I think may be an Illinois oddity.
    Anyhow the pistol was listed as a Stevens 35 Target Model with 10" barrel. I believe it to be a plain 35 with a 12.25" barrel. I found conflicting information on the model 35s but since mine is blued, smooth grips, and stamped trigger guard I'm pretty sure it's a later model produced between 1923 and 1942. The pistol has a mid 36xxx serial# and if the 42K total production number I've seen is accurate mine should be closer to 42 than 23
    I've only shot a few Colibri powderless rounds through it and it's got a misfire problem. The cases look plenty dented, but the strike marks seem just a tad low. It will shoot a little less than half the time. Ran the once struck shells through another pistol and they all fired. e-gunparts shows the firing pin as sold out is there another source?
    Once I resolve the firing pin issue is it ok to use shorts or cb longs or should I stick with the Colibris?
    I so gotta get a stick with a bang flag for it.

Attached Files:

VintagePurple likes this.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I would think it would be fine with standard velocity long rifles.
    Got a pic of the misfired casing?
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

"Bang Flag" That is funny right there. That shure is an odd looking target pistol. Never seen such a thing but I want one. I bet that bugger would be heel on wheels to the tree rat population. If it shot right of course, I'll my pops in the morning and see what he has to say about it. It looks to me to be based of a Rifle action, or mabbe a 410 shot gun, Makes me wonder. I'll have to look around and see if there is a Stevens that share the same componetes
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

King, i dunno that gun but low striking hammer could be worn hammer pin ( but most spring arraingments push up so it could be higher) or a hammer thats worn or chipped a tad on the face and reworked ( or not)

so its swinging just that bit extra ( thereby lower on the round) before it connects , check for that its not a hard fix either way
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

I have the same gun (except for the front and rear sights) in .410 chambered for the 2.5" shells. I suspect you can shoot any .22 rimfire you want. Mine too requires a transfer fee but it is not an Indiana thing.
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I believe that these were once called parlor pistols-when people would actually get together and target shoot-strange concept eh. Great looking pistol.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I don't recall if these were marked with caliber, but the 35 was also made in .22 WRF and .25 rimfire: Could this be your firing pin problem?
  8. Danny

Danny Member

I had one of these years ago, but mine was nickle. These fine single shots were the favorite of Annie Oakley. So they dated back to the late 1800s. My pistol's bore was gone & the ejector was broke, but I made one for it. Just be carefull when opening the barrel that you do not use alot of force or yours will break also. You did very well on the price. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Danny
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Just keep it the way it is and you have a fine single shot Russian roulette pistol.
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Looks to be a Stevens No# 40
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    stevens made a number of these single shot pistols.the barrel lengths vaired greatly from year to year along with the quality,although they were fine pistols at their time.i have been trying for years to buy one in as good of shape as yours is but everytime i do its priced more than am willing to pay.congradulations on getting the one you have. old semperfi
  12. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

Thanks for the replies all. The firing pin is definitely a bit mashed. The hammer has a half cock notch which is where it should be when the action is opened. The action will open and close with the hammer down, but the cartridge will drag the pin and I suspect that's happened more than once. I'm sure it's been dryfired a time or two in the past.
    I had much better luck with CCI CB long & shorts which fired just under 90% as compared to 30% for the Colibris.
    The firing pin doesn't look like it would be too hard to recreate and I may whine one of my machinist buddies into making one.
    Here's pics of shells and pin. The outlined cases were the misfires.

Attached Files:

13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Looking at the picture of the block, I'd look at the firing pin hole. It looks as if it might be worn and allowing the pin to ride too low.

Pops
  14. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

Yeah, that's one of my thoughts too. The earlier version, the Model 35 Offhand Target made before 1916 had a firing pin bushing and reportedly was of higher quality.
    There is some up and down play in the pin and it seems to be a very near thing between fire and misfire.
    Other than finding or making a new pin is there anything to be done?
    I'm actually ok with a near 90% success rate even if I have to use the high priced spread CCI cartridges. The occasional misfire does wonders for identifying any anticipatory flinching.
    VintagePurple likes this.
  15. BillM

BillM Active Member

How is the lockup? If you have any slack there, the barrel will be tipped down just a
    touch, which will change the relationship between the cartridge and firing pin and cause
    a low strike.